Recommend me a 17/17 tire

Hi, i was looking at picking up a set of dunlop star specs from discount tire but unfortunately they stopped carrying them. Tire rack has them but since i live in Canada their shipping cost is $$ as to compared with discount tire where shipping is free.

i was looking at the hankook rs-3's but they dont have the correct size up front.

looking at 215/40/17 and 265/40/17

discount tire does have the azenis 615k but only offer 275/40/17 for the rear.
would that work with my 17x9 +40 TE37's? or will the tire look weird?

how are azenis 615k's? any other recommendations for a good performance tire? i could order 255/40/17 but i want more of a flush look.

You're better off with 255/40-17 in the rear.

All of the following are available in 215/40-17 and 255/40-17:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08
Falken Azenis RT-615K

These are all extremely sticky.

If you want something that lasts a lot longer and is only slightly less sticky (still very good), you might also consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW in these sizes.

i love my bridgestone potenza re-11's
The Bridgestone RE-11 is not available in 17"/17" sizes for the NSX. Which is not a big deal, since the Star Spec and AD08 offer virtually the same performance.

Last edited:
how are the the azenis 615k in the rain? i heard mixed stories on them but never experienced them. the star specs on my s2000 were pretty good in the rain, can i expect about the same with the azenis?

how are the the azenis 615k in the rain? i heard mixed stories on them but never experienced them. the star specs on my s2000 were pretty good in the rain, can i expect about the same with the azenis?
I haven't used them in the rain. I know their predecessor, the RT-615, was awful in the rain.

If you really expect to use these tires in quite a bit of rain, you might want to consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW, which will be better than any of the three "extreme performance" tires in rain.

could i get away with 225/40/17 up front? or will it rub?

You're better off with 255/40-17 in the rear.

All of the following are available in 215/40-17 and 255/40-17:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08
Falken Azenis RT-615K

These are all extremely sticky.

If you want something that lasts a lot longer and is only slightly less sticky (still very good), you might also consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW in these sizes.

The Bridgestone RE-11 is not available in 17"/17" sizes for the NSX. Which is not a big deal, since the Star Spec and AD08 offer virtually the same performance.

Just curious, what are your to cents on the Toyo Proxes T1R's? :confused:

Just curious, what are your to cents on the Toyo Proxes T1R's? :confused:
The Toyo Proxes T1R is often confused with the Toyo Proxes R1R.

The Toyo Proxes R1R is a very sticky tire (what the Tire Rack calls an "extreme performance summer tire") that competes with the previously-mentioned Star Spec, AD08, etc. It doesn't come in 17"/17" sizes so I didn't mention it above.

The Toyo Proxes T1R is their more streetable tire and it basically is not very good, although it is affordably priced. Its performance is comparable to value-priced performance tires ("ultra high performance summer tires") like the Yokohama S.drive, BFG g-Force Sport, etc - tires that are designed as much to be inexpensive as for performance. It is nowhere near as good as the best longer-lasting summer tires ("maximum performance summer tires") like the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, etc). Which means it's two entire categories worse than the really sticky tires mentioned above. That's why I don't recommend it for an NSX.

Last edited:
The Toyo Proxes T1R is often confused with the Toyo Proxes R1R.

The Toyo Proxes R1R is a very sticky tire (what the Tire Rack calls an "extreme performance summer tire") that competes with the previously-mentioned Star Spec, AD08, etc. It doesn't come in 17"/17" sizes so I didn't mention it above.

The Toyo Proxes T1R is their more streetable tire and it basically is not very good, although it is affordably priced. Its performance is comparable to value-priced performance tires ("ultra high performance summer tires") like the Yokohama S.drive, BFG g-Force Sport, etc - tires that are designed as much to be inexpensive as for performance. It is nowhere near as good as the best longer-lasting summer tires ("maximum performance summer tires") like the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, etc). Which means it's two entire categories worse than the really sticky tires mentioned above. That's why I don't recommend it for an NSX.

Awesome thanks for the input and have some T1R's on the car now. I was looking to get new tires down the road, not much track use if any, just a fun street tire for spring, summer, fall. Car sits idle in the winter these days. :wink:

I haven't used them in the rain. I know their predecessor, the RT-615, was awful in the rain.

If you really expect to use these tires in quite a bit of rain, you might want to consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW, which will be better than any of the three "extreme performance" tires in rain.

My Conti DW have been fantastic on my street wheels, not as much grip as the XS I have on my track wheels, but still enough grip that I would have to be going entirely too fast for the street to reach their limits.

Back