• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations in NY/NJ for stereo replacement

Hey guys,

So I'm just tired of driving such a nice vehicle with the windshield mounted portable gps unit. Bit the bullet and bought the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and the AVIC-U220 navi attachment. I even bought a new center panel from SoS. Problem now, I don't have anyone who can put it in. I was hoping our northeast NSX God, LarryB, would be able to do it but he couldn't. I have no one else that I trust to put it in. Does anyone know of anyone good in the NY/NJ area that does this type of stuff?

Thanks all!

- Henry

Hey guys,

So I'm just tired of driving such a nice vehicle with the windshield mounted portable gps unit. Bit the bullet and bought the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and the AVIC-U220 navi attachment. I even bought a new center panel from SoS. Problem now, I don't have anyone who can put it in. I was hoping our northeast NSX God, LarryB, would be able to do it but he couldn't. I have no one else that I trust to put it in. Does anyone know of anyone good in the NY/NJ area that does this type of stuff?

Thanks all!

- Henry

Generic question. Are you also swapping out the speakers at the same time or already have replacements inside or were attempting to run the stock bose speakers with an aftermarket headunit "which won't work".

The sos console isn't cut for a double din right? So it would need to be cut also?

I could help you along the way but most this stuff you'd need someone to be there in person to do it...

Model electronics RT 17 Ramsey. They changed out my head unit when I had a Viper GTS. They did a great job, and price was good. Nice facility. I autocross with one of the installers, His name is George Rath, I think he's still there.

Generic question. Are you also swapping out the speakers at the same time or already have replacements inside or were attempting to run the stock bose speakers with an aftermarket headunit "which won't work".

The sos console isn't cut for a double din right? So it would need to be cut also?

I could help you along the way but most this stuff you'd need someone to be there in person to do it...

Crap, I was gonna use the stock Bose speakers. The guys at SOS told me to get a specific wiring that would be able to connect the aftermarket unit to the stock speakers. Not the case?

The console is not cut at all so it will need to be cut for double din.

There's no way I can do this, even with help. My saying is...if you want it done right, hire an expert :smile:

I may try that place in Ramsey. That's only a hop, skip and jump away from me.

That will work but using quality wiring will work better. I use Hollywood sound in Newburgh NY they did a fantastic job cutting my original dash and molding in a double din unit. I had brought it to a local stereo place and they screwed the entire job up. Hollywood sound was able to fix my entire system get it working properly and add an amp/sub woofer. The results are amazing. might be a little bit of a hike for you, But they do great work.

Hollywood Sound is a little over an hour from me. Not too bad if they can do a good job. You had them cut your original dash? I didn't think that was even an option or I wouldn't have bought a new center panel. Thanks for the info!

Hollywood Sound is a little over an hour from me. Not too bad if they can do a good job. You had them cut your original dash? I didn't think that was even an option or I wouldn't have bought a new center panel. Thanks for the info!

Long story short I brought my car to someone local that massacred my terrible fitting/ looking CF dash I purchased from Dali and immediately regretted. Everyone thats been around knows the Dali return policy. You return the part and never receive a refund. So I decided to make it work. Well, the original stereo guy I brought it to broke the thin crappy fitting CF dash. It took them over 2 months to only get the car back. But the windows, antenna, radio were not working when I did. After pulling the kick panel to diagnose the issue myself I found a rats nest of aftermarket wires.:mad: After speaking to some friends that had high end show cars with outrageous systems. They referred me to Hollywood Sound. They not only fixed everything, but they redid the job above and beyond my expectations, with attention to detail (very neat work). They talked me into using my original dash and removing some gadgets the first clown talked me into. Had my car done in a few days and stored my car indoors for me as well. I highly recommend them.

securedownload-5.jpg
securedownload.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! I was debating on Model or Hollywood for awhile. Read some not so good reviews about Hollywood Sound and was leaning towards Model. Then a friend of mine that I trusted said he can do it so I gave him a shot. He has my car now as I type but he said he was able to use the existing panel. Can't wait to see it. I'm going on vacation in a couple of days so I won't get it back until next weekend. Hopefully he'll do a good job and I'll post pics.

Use the after market panel and save the original and the original head unit for when you sell the car. Most people buying the car always want the original stuff even if it isn't installed. Modifying the aftermarket part makes more sens then chopping up an original part.

My 2 cents.

Tytus

Dont mean to hijack the thread...

Anybody know any good alarm installers in the nj area? I dont mind driving as lOng as the shop doesnt employ shady people.....

Back