• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Red Sox - 2004 American League Champs

RichH said:
I have rooted for the Yanks, so you are wrong! When I lived in Manhattan (5 years) I attended about 20 games a season. Always rooted for the Yanks except when they played the SOX.
You are probably the exception, not the rule.

As someone stated earlier, the majority of people either love or hate the Yankees. I think that if you interviewed random people around Fenway during the World Series, you would be hard-pressed to find Red Sox fans that would speak kindly about the Yankees. That's what happens when you have a heated rivalry for so many decades.

I'm not sure why you have to resort to being patronizing, accusing people of behaving like 10 year-olds. You may want to re-read some of the other posts, the attitude that you are bemoaning is present on both sides.

nsxr1 said:
Whaddaya know - the best team won, and <U>decisively</U>

I don't know how you say they won decisively. This was as close a series as last year's series was. Yanks were within 3 outs of a sweep. Then in game 5 in the 9th inning with the game tied, Tony Clark's double bounces into the right-field wall, and then instead of kicking back off the wall and boucing onto the field as it would 99% of the time, it takes a very odd bounce -- probably due to some back-spin or maybe even a gust of wind, and bounces over the wall into the stands. As a result, Sierra has to stop at 3rd instead of easily scoring as he would of if the ball had remained on the field.

The Red Sox were the better team this year. Everybody said so going into the series and the Sox were the favorites. What made this series such an "upset" in the eyes of the sports world was not that the Red Sox won, but how they came back from being down 3-0. But it was far from a decisive win and it was almost a very decisive loss for the Sox. A "decisive" win in a 7 game series is not a win in 7 games, but in much fewer than that.

So now everyone in "Yankee-land" is in panic-mode and thinks they need to do a major overhaul. Yet if a bloop-single in the 9th inning of game 4 had instead been a bloop pop-out to 2nd base, everyone would be saying how great this team was. People forget that the Yanks best hitter did not play in the playoffs and was out most of the year -- the player who lead them in run production and HRs each of the last 2 seasons. He will be back next year and hopefully in old form.

I'm sure the Yankees will make some changes in the off season. They need some middle inning relievers that are decent, and perhaps another starting pitcher. And maybe they will sign Carlos Beltran to play center field. But don't look for any major overhauls -- this is still the team who won 100 games and had the best record in the American league -- and this with almost all of their "superstars" having very poor years. Not a single Yankees player batted .300 and not a single starting pitcher won 15 games. Just imagine if some of these superstars they have end up having decent years....

Eric5273 said:
I don't know how you say they won decisively.
Perhaps he was referring to the game 7 outcome? I agree, it was far from a decisive series victory.

And maybe they will sign Carlos Beltran to play center field. But don't look for any major overhauls...
He alone WOULD make it a major overhaul. :eek: What a stud player!

Eric5273 said:
Then in game 5 in the 9th inning with the game tied, Tony Clark's double bounces into the right-field wall, and then instead of kicking back off the wall and boucing onto the field as it would 99% of the time, it takes a very odd bounce -- probably due to some back-spin or maybe even a gust of wind, and bounces over the wall into the stands. As a result, Sierra has to stop at 3rd instead of easily scoring as he would of if the ball had remained on the field
You obviously didn't see that play. The replay clearly showed the ball one-hopping up into the right-field stands. It did not appear to touch the wall at all. No chance at all that it would have bounced back into the field.

Eric5273 said:
The Red Sox were the better team this year. Everybody said so going into the series and the Sox were the favorites.
You're half right. The 2004 Red Sox are without a doubt a better team than the 2004 Yankees, but you would have been hard pressed to find a Yankees fan who would have admitted as much prior to Game 4 of the ALCS. In fact, Yankees fans (as well as their usual multitude of bandwagon fans) were up to their typical bragging and boasting going into the series, with the annoyance factor amplified greatly by the end of Game 3.

Eric5273 said:
But it was far from a decisive win and it was almost a very decisive loss for the Sox. A "decisive" win in a 7 game series is not a win in 7 games, but in much fewer than that.
Mince words all you want. The bottom line is that the BoSox comeback from being down three games to none to winning the series (in effect a 4-game sweep of the Yankees) was one of the greatest in sports history, let alone baseball history. As one of ESPN's Sports Reporters stated so eloquently this past Sunday (and I'm paraphrasing here), "The greatest collapse in sports history has been placed on the Yankees' heads like a bonnet..." The Yankees will be wearing that bonnet for a long time to come :D

nsxr1 said:
You obviously didn't see that play. The replay clearly showed the ball one-hopping up into the right-field stands. It did not appear to touch the wall at all. No chance at all that it would have bounced back into the field.
Weird, you must have seen a different play. I saw the same one Eric did, where Clark's hit absolutely hit the wall, and took a weird bounce into the stands.

Re: Red Sox - 2004 World Champs!!!!!

That was fun!!! What a play off season for the Sox, to come back from 0-3 and to sweep a great team like the Cards.

Congrats to the Cards and their fans what a classy group and what a great season.

Last edited:
hell-freezes.jpg

f42189yhodf.jpg

Back