• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

remote control cars

Not the crazy zillion $$$ ones that do 80 mph.....

I'd like to get my almost 5 year old son a remote control vehicle for christmas. One with excellent range that could be used indoors or outdoors in a park (we have a park directly across the street from our front door). That can drive up a hill or over grass or a carpet. That doesn't go a zillion mph so it could be used indoors as well while it's snowy outside. If it works in the snow, that's even better. Ideally less than $50.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't think you can get all that for under $50, but there are some at ToysRUs for ~$30-$40 that will more than entertain a 5yo for hours. Start with a cheap one, and then if he really gets into it he can go bigger.

I am in the RC business and for what you are looking for you would need to spend more. The best product that will fit your needs is producted by a company called Traxxas. They are a US company out of Texas. There niche in the market are tough cars that do not break and are professional grade. You could get a ready to run truck that can handle all your needs for around $170. I would recommend the Stampede. This truck is tough and even water proof. the price is kinda steep but it is well worth in the long run. Once he gets proficient with the truck you could start increasing the speed and performance. Let me know if you have any other questions.

www.traxxas.com

I am in the RC business and for what you are looking for you would need to spend more. The best product that will fit your needs is producted by a company called Traxxas. They are a US company out of Texas. There niche in the market are tough cars that do not break and are professional grade. You could get a ready to run truck that can handle all your needs for around $170. I would recommend the Stampede. This truck is tough and even water proof. the price is kinda steep but it is well worth in the long run. Once he gets proficient with the truck you could start increasing the speed and performance. Let me know if you have any other questions.

www.traxxas.com

For a 5 year old? Really?

For a 5 year old? Really?

Not to hijack the thread, but you'd be AMAZED what some people spend on their kids. Specially the trust fund types who are more concerned to buy whatever it takes just to keep the kids quiet and happy instead of teaching them life lessons about practicality and money. My cousin used to work at Corona Del Mar High School and I went there to meet up for lunch now and then. I saw kids there whose parents buy them sparkling new BMW's, not because their kids earned anything to get the car like good grades, but just because the family has money and just bought it to shut up the kid from asking.

2 cents. :cool:

www.traxxas.com

Holy cow! Definitely far beyond what I was envisioning :). 3 mph is more than enough. Snow is not needed. I was just thinking something with enough power that it would work on a rug or grass or hill, and range that it would work in a park and either slow enough to use indoors or have an adjustable governor. Most of the RC cars I have seen either end up out of range on the other side of the room, or are way to fast for indoor use. Just trying to find a balance :). Neat vehicles though!

These might be kinda neat for a 5YO:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CEK

I 2nd what Binh says though: If your son takes a liking to RC and is careful and responsible, go with a Traxxas 1/16 or 1/18th scale ready-to-run kit in the $180-200 range. They're stronger, faster, with much more technology (ball-bearings, ball differentials, oil-filled shocks, etc) than the Walmart, ToysRUs type RC vehicles.

This is a great father-son type hobby and teaches them basic vehicle dynamics, "wrenching," and sportsmanship (search for RC tracks in your area).

Dave

I agree with flamino just go to toys r us and pick up one. They have cool big ones there (like hummers etc) that are fun for kids out of the box. only suggestion is to get a quick charger as they often come with overnight chargers.

Man, I kinda miss RC racing.

FWIW, I'm shopping low end RC vehicles for my two year old. Partly b/c I think, rather I know, he'd enjoy it but also b/c I miss having fun w/ them.

<--- eyeing the Ferrari F2001 awd Formula 1 RC car on display on the office shelf.

I ran across this "Excalibur" remote control Porsche a couple of years back. We gave it to my nephew & for $50.00 we were very impressed with it's performance. Perfect for a starter car... :cool: Hope this helps with your search.

My nephew is seven now & I bought him a Traxxas this year. :biggrin:

If you can't find one I still have this one still new in the box.
DSC06264.jpg

You should stop by your local Radio Shack. If there aren't any, then Toys R Us is the next step. Either way, I know your son will love it! :smile:

But don't know that it actually fits my criteria

good for indoors and out
long range
goes on grass and rugs and uphill

ps need to find that iPhone vs windows mobile thread. This was posted on my new iPhone. I'm a convert.

Last edited:
Back