• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removal of Seized Rear Hub from Knuckle....

Any tips please?
I'm in the process of replacing a rear wheel bearing and am stuck trying to remove the hub from the knuckle. I thought the hub nut would be the difficult part but that was easy.
I've removed the 4 bolts and expected the hub and carrier to separate nicely but it seems to be seized, from being together for 26 years.
I've soaked it in penetrating oil and given it a few taps sideways to try and twist / rotate it, also wound the carrier bolts most of the way back in and tapped them from behind to see if it would budge.

Anyone else had this problem?

Just to be clear you are having trouble getting the axle shaft out of the hub? If so, install the nut back on the protect the threads (only thread it far enough to have it even with the end of the axle shaft, and get a sledge hammer, give it a few good smacks and it will move inward, if it moves even a few mm you will be able to remove it.

HTH,
LarryB

Just to be clear you are having trouble getting the axle shaft out of the hub? If so, install the nut back on the protect the threads (only thread it far enough to have it even with the end of the axle shaft, and get a sledge hammer, give it a few good smacks and it will move inward, if it moves even a few mm you will be able to remove it.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for your reply. No, the axle moves freely, it is the bearing carrier that seems to be seized in the knuckle recess.

I have now removed the knuckle assembly from the car totally now and given it a good soaking from behind with Kroil. I will try to tap it out carefully from behind later, difficult to safely & securely support the ali casting.

OK, this will require a press to remove the bearing from the knuckle.......

[MENTION=13875]NSXC[/MENTION]B, did you get this all sorted out? I had a similar situation where it was stuck and I ended up using a pry tool and flathead screw driver to get it off.

...yes, sorted it out. I had to remove the knuckle assembly from the car and press out from behind. There was a lot of corrosion in the recess. I did try prying it off but was worried that I would damage the aluminium knuckle.

Back