• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing 3M Molding tape??

Ive got a ton of this to get off of my trunk lid (removed a wicket spoiler) and it is tough as nails!

What is the best way to loosen it up? What solvent works without hurting the paint/plastic on the car?

TIA

When I was at MV Designs, they removed the molding tape with an eraser pad similar to the picture below. The difference with their pad was that the edge was beveled.

32.jpg

I have more than just the residue, Ive got tape, tons of tape!

I need a solvent I think. Not sure which works but wont kill the paint.

EDIT:

Oh I get it, like THIS

Also found a reference to using WD40 and fishing line.

Boy, that link u just posted is very, very scary. Don't bother with anything mentioned in that white paper. All you need is some Prep Sol or any other solvent carried by your local NAPA or other auto parts store. Also, certain products may also be available at CT but your best bet is NAPA.

Fishing line is a good way to debadge a car.

i put that m3 spoiler on a test spoiler and wanted to remove....

it has 3m tape? is that the same type of spoiler you are removing also?

I have more than just the residue, Ive got tape, tons of tape!

I need a solvent I think. Not sure which works but wont kill the paint.

EDIT:

Oh I get it, like THIS

Also found a reference to using WD40 and fishing line.

The technician used the eraser pad very carefully controlling the speed. Molding tape is very difficult to remove especially if the area has been prepped so I don't know of any chemical that will just lift it off without lifting your paint. Maybe there's one out there that exists but I remember the tape was thick and the eraser did a good job on it.

the 3m eraser pad is incerdible - also goof off works great , will not harm paint either!

3M makes a solvent just for this.

I believe is called adhesive remover. I bought it at Autozone. It takes off the tape and glue but supposedly does not harm the paint. I used it on adhesive pinstripes and the dried on glue and it worked great.

3M makes a solvent just for this.

I believe is called adhesive remover. I bought it at Autozone. It takes off the tape and glue but supposedly does not harm the paint. I used it on adhesive pinstripes and the dried on glue and it worked great.

Thanks for that. That is exactly what he should use. It's a little better than most solvents at removing adhesive residue.

the tape is GONE!!!

I used the eraser pad. Its made specifically for pinstripes, but it removed the tape without any issue, pretty quickly too.

I still have a small amount of residue that I will remove with a solvent, but I took a ton of tape off with the eraser. It was 7 layers deep in some places (I hacked at those with a credit card)

Thanks to all who helped! The eraser pad was a special technique used by some body shops. Not many know about it. Worked very well.

also if the tape hasn't hardened, just try pulling it PARALLEL to the surface instead of perpendicular. it will take a bit to get the hang of it but it comes right off.

Back