• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing Center Section of Tail Lense

Anybody know where to get the phillips tool....that fits in the very tight space allowed to remove the center section of the tail lense section....the piece with the "ACURA" name in it.???

Srew removable

I understand I need to be careful with the seal...but how do I get the phillips head srews out....there isn't enough clearance for a normal "L" type phillips screw driver tool.

The seal I am talking is the trunk seal/gasket. You have to lift up the seal and remove the interior lining. The center lense is not secured by the screws on top. The lense is secured by 4 nuts on the inboard side of the trunk. Once you have the lining removed, it would be easy to locate the 4 mounting nuts.

I removed my center section last summer. If I remember correctly I had to use a socket not a screwdriver, There are four long threads with the nut down at the end. A deep socket would have saved me some time.

John

Dan Waite said:
Anybody know where to get the phillips tool....that fits in the very tight space allowed to remove the center section of the tail lense section....the piece with the "ACURA" name in it.???

Its a 8mm deep socket...

You can seperate the center tail by heating a bucket of hot water and letting it soak for about 5 min to lossen the glue. You can also take a hair dryer to the seal also, to lossen the glue.

The faq's have a good write up on it with pics.

Does anyone have a picture of the rear center lense naked (without any emblems or stickers)?

A couple pictures with "Acura" removed

ImageServe.aspx

link to slightly higher resolution picture

ImageServe.aspx

link to high resolution picture

Back