• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing engine cover/insulator

As it is very fashionable amongst the current crop of supercars to show off their engines (Ferrari 360), I was wondering if there would be any problems if I removed the engine cover(above the engine and below the rear glass) from my '93 car. Apart from making the rear end more interesting, it should also increase the engine noise. Has anyone tried this?

After removing the cover I did notice a little more noise. You'll want to adjust the latch so the glass doesn't rattle. I ended up putting put the cover back on, I didn't want the sun to bake the hoses etc.

I removed my cover quite a while back and have no regrets. I have some chrome parts and the BBSC in there so I like looking at them whenever I go to the car. The glass is tinted and haven't noticed any wrinkling of the tint either.
Another little bonus, it saves some weight. If you care about that.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

The only incident that I have had is one time when I drove through a construction zone and some concret powder dusted the inside of my engine compartment. Before I had the chance to clean it off, it rained and after a steam inducing puddle had concrete bake all over everything. It all washed off with no fuss, except for the partition glass, which needed to be scraped by razor.

why not show it off with one of Cantrell's covers?

These covers reuse the factory gasket, so the glass will not rattle around.

lexan_narrow_oncar.jpg

Starts at $445.00
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Cantrell_Concepts/engine_cover/

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
why not show it off with one of Cantrell's covers?

These covers reuse the factory gasket, so the glass will not rattle around.

Seems to me that that is a much more preferable and more elegant solution than removing the cover...

Just FYI, $3 worth of gasket material from Home Depot solves the occasional rattle when running with the cover completely removed.

Just be careful if you do remove it.The edges and such are prone to tearing and nicks in the proccess.Remember it is a big piece so plan on a nice cozy place to store it.I've seen some nice custom cut-outs even with targa cars,if you have some shop skill.Joe L. from our region did a nice job.

I happen to like it off for the weight and looks (I too have it tinted) - but I would be very interested in the exact parts people use to cushin it.

I looked in the FAQs - anyone have the part details or a close-up so I know what I am looking for?

OK - I was sick of my engine glass rattling. As many of you also have done - I removed the engine cover for weight savings and looks. I have had it off for 4 years and have not had a problem - except for the rattles.

Well I fixed it. You may be able to do this another way but here was my technique. If you open up the glass and look on either side of the trunk where the glass comes down - you will see there are 2 black bolts and a grommet between them. If you scroll up to Chris's pic you will see it on the far left of the picture.

I removed the 2 grommets and went to Home Depot and bought 2 rubber stoppers. The description was 1/2" x 5/16" 12 7 Rubber Stopper and the part number is 30699 15948 at the bar code. I had to shave the bottom a little and I used a little soap to get them into the hole, but they appear to be in there good, are not noticeable, and support the left and right sides of the glass where mine tended to rattle. You will still get a little rattle where the latch is but I was able to eliminate most of that as well.

On the window - to the left of the U hook latch there is a hex head bolt. On the other side of the bracket the bolt goes into is a locking nut. If you loosen the nut you can "unscrew" and extend the bolt then re-lock it down. This bolt engages against a spring / switch and by adjusting it down you will get more spring force up from the switch. If I really press down on the glass I still hear a little rattle at the latch but this eliminated 99 percent of the rattle - even on our roads rated 48 out of the 50 states!

If you like it - please send me 10 bucks for my forced induction fund!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 22 August 2002).]

its not rocket science, just take the thing off and see if you like it, it only takes 2 minutes. ive had mine off for a couple of years without any issues (or rattles).

Sorry to bring up a 7 yo thread, but having some problems removing my engine cover.

What is the wire that runs from the engine cover to behind the coolant container? Is it the sensor that prevents the car from being locked if the glass hatch isn't completely closed? Should I disconnect it at the engine cover or at the coolant container? I noticed that that the plastic around the wire goes through the frame, and doesn't seem that it can be slide out. Am I correct?

If its a T, the wire is to sense if the top of the cover is latched to the bottom of the cover.

Also note that the OEM coolant tank is UV sensitive and so can be damaged by sunlight. So, if you have the OEM tank, either paint it (with a paint compatible with plastic), cover it, or replace it with an aftermarket tank.

I'm not sure if the electrical connectors are a UV-resistant plastic. It would get ugly if connectors started failing Does anyone on Prime know?

Hmm. That suggests it might be wise to go for a cover such as offered by Cantrell, and make sure they have a UV filter in the "glass".

Yep, it's a T (2002). Sounds like that's what the wire is.

Not too worried about the UV light, since here in Germany I'll have the engine cover off only during the winter, when it's too cold to take the top down, and when I won't be driving it that much.
But when I get back to the US next spring, I'll be getting the SOS engine cover (I think SOS will charge way too much that thing to ship to Germany).

Pics below. Any idea where to disconnect the wire?

Attachments

• CIMG0746.JPG
    CIMG0746.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG0747.JPG
    CIMG0747.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG0748.jpg
    CIMG0748.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG0750.JPG
    CIMG0750.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0751.JPG
    CIMG0751.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG0752.JPG
    CIMG0752.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG0755.jpg
    CIMG0755.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG0756.JPG
    CIMG0756.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG0760.JPG
    CIMG0760.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 34
In your 2nd picture, the light blue clip slides off of the bolt, then the two wires to the left of the blue block unclip.

I removed & reinatalled the cover during timing belt installation last year. Removal and re-connection of those wires and the clip was easy.

Back