• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing OEM RE040 tires, damaging wheels??

Something strange has happened when I took my 02 OEM wheels to this shop for a new set of RE040 last month. The wheels were in perfect condition except for couple very minor dings from the curb. However, after they mount the new tires, I noticed parts of the paint on the wheels has come off around the very outer edges. When I run my fingers across it, I can pick up paint chips on my finger. I know it's not done by the machine or the person who's mounting the tires because the machine being used is design for high end wheels and it does not come in contact with the rims in order to make any scratches. Not to mention,
I have been taking all of my aftermarket wheels to this shop for years for mount/balancing and occationally turning the tires inside out.
This time is totally freaking me out. Is this what I have to go through ever time I put on new tires for the NSX?? How can the paint quality on the NSX wheels be so weak? The shop said the rubber on the RE040 is extremely stiff and when it rub against the wheels while mounting, it will take off the paint. Is this possible??? :confused: :confused:

Didn't have that problem when I replaced the stock tires on my '02 with new RE040s. Maybe they didn't lube the beads before installing the new tires on the rims.

If you didn't see the whole work when they mount and dismount your tires, don't be too sure to excuse them off by saying the machine can't make damages. You are dealing with human, and with human there could be errors.

No offense, but whatever the shop manager said to you sounds like BS to me.

Yes, the tire's side wall could be real stiff and with improper technique / careless/ improper tools / simple human error(opps), it could damage the wheels pretty good.
The machine is desing to protect the rims when mounting the rims, but it couldn't prevent when dismounting the rims from the beads.

This is an authentic excuse for whoever who's careless or without skills.
They need to fix the damage for you, and hopefully this just happened and you haven't driven for too much yet (so they can blame you for the problem)

I recommend you always clean your wheels and also inspect your rims with the shop before you handing off the keys. People tends to be more careful when you are so "anal" about that. Make sure you telling them this is a nsx oem wheel which usually going for $500 each even in used condition. ( if the shop kick you out, you know they are not confident on working your rims.) and lets face it. The nsx wheels is only 17 and it's very common nowadays. I will say any tire guy with moderate skills should be able to mount 19 inches wheels all day long with no incident. There's no reason to blame the wheel or tire design.

Back