• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

removing/replacing antennae mast and motor

Does anyone have some detailed instructions on how to remove/replace the antennae mast and motor via the service manual or personal experience? Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks for the reply and I am familiar with the Smartenna, but I have a new antennae and motor that I am wanting to switch out with my old one. I thought someone might have step by step instructions on how to do that. I know that it isn't very difficult, but wanted to have reference to look at before I switched the antennae out. Thanks.

Originally posted by jlindy:
...I am familiar with the Smartenna, but I have a new antennae and motor that I am wanting to switch out with my old one.

I second the motion for this info. I also just recieved a new antenna assembly and would like to hear some tips and tricks before I begin the install myself.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

The factory antenna looks so out of place on the sleek lines of the NSX. Most of the time you are listening to cds and you dont need the antenna anyways, I suggested as I did to just disconnect the factory antenna and install a small antenna in the space behind the trunk liner.

good luck

Since you're planning to work on your car yourself, you ought to just buy a copy of the service manual, which you can do here.

Go to the Electrical section, and in the part on the Stereo Sound System, you will find very clear instructions for the Antenna Mast Replacement and the Power Antenna Motor Replacement.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 29 January 2003).]

Please ask if anything is unclear

Time required to replace mast: Less than 15 minutes.

Antenna Nut Wrench p/n 07JAA-001000C
Or something to fit in those little slots on both sides of the chrome antenna nut.
I used snap-ring pliers and a 4" square piece of cardboard with a hole cut in the middle the size of the antenna spacer. This way, when the snap ring pliers slip, the fender isn't scarred. Place a shop towel between the cardboard and fender as well.

NOTE the orientation of the black plastic antenna spacer on the fender
NOTE the orientation of the slots in the chrome antenna mast nut. They
should be in line with the fender.

The antenna nut is the chrome ring around the mast. The O-ring is the small rubber ring around the antenna nut. You may or may not have this O-ring, depending on model year. The spacer is the angled black plastic thingy (technically speaking), the bushing is black and under the spacer, on the fender.

1) Lower antenna by turning radio OFF

2) Remove antenna nut, O-ring (N/A on pre-94 cars I think), spacer, and bushing.

***STOP HERE IF REMOVING MOTOR****
***See further down for motor removal

3) Before completely removing the antenna mast, note the orientation of the drive cable teeth. They should be pointing towards the left rear corner of the car. Maybe even a little more left than that.

Carefully withdraw the antenna mast while extending it by turning the radio ON. The mast lifts straight up and out.

Installation:

1) Hold the antenna mast drive cable (the plastic cable with teeth) so its teeth point the same way the old mast came out. Insert the drive cable into the antenna housing.

2) Check for engagement by gently moving the cable up and down. It should engage the gears inside the motor. Try to get as much cable engaged as you can, to where the metal base of the antenna mast can install into the antenna housing

3) Turn the radio OFF and let the motor pull the mast in. If the mast does not fully retract, turn the radio ON and try holding the mast in place for a few clicks of the motor. It sounds like its jumping teeth, and
it is. Perfectly normal.

4) Install the bushing, spacer, Oring and antenna nut. Torque the nut to 1.7lb-ft (2.3N-m). This is a fairly light torque, and if you overtorque, you will deform the fender. SO DO NOT OVERTORQUE. Go slow once the antenna nut becomes too hard to turn by hand. If you can see the fender flex a little, BACK OFF. THATS MORE THAN ENOUGH. The slots in the nut should be in line with the fender.

5) Turn radio ON and let the antenna raise fully, then OFF again and lower fully. A few clicks may be heard while the control cable is seating. Check for full retraction and extension with repeated ON and OFF of
the radio switch.

**Done with mast replacement
****CONTINUE HERE IF REMOVING MOTOR****

3) Remove the three or four push pins inside truck which hold the left side carpet panel in place. A dandelion digger or any forked tool works great on the push pins. Also lift up on the rubber trunk seal off the trunk body lip to allow the carpet panel to be folded inward towards center of trunk. Unplug the trunk light connector.

4) Unplug antenna motor electical, unplug antenna cable.

5) Unbolt and remove the motor from the car, I think there are 3 12mm bolts on the motor bracket.

Done!

Thank you so much NSXT, you are a big help.

13SL00_B16.gif

Thanks so much NSXT!

Lud -> how about putting that nice writeup in the FAQ section?

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Please ask if anything is unclear

Time required to replace mast: Less than 15 minutes.

Antenna Nut Wrench p/n 07JAA-001000C
Or something to fit in those little slots on both sides of the chrome antenna nut.
I used snap-ring pliers and a 4" square piece of cardboard with a hole cut in the middle the size of the antenna spacer. This way, when the snap ring pliers slip, the fender isn't scarred. Place a shop towel between the cardboard and fender as well.

NOTE the orientation of the black plastic antenna spacer on the fender
NOTE the orientation of the slots in the chrome antenna mast nut. They
should be in line with the fender.

The antenna nut is the chrome ring around the mast. The O-ring is the small rubber ring around the antenna nut. You may or may not have this O-ring, depending on model year. The spacer is the angled black plastic thingy (technically speaking), the bushing is black and under the spacer, on the fender.

1) Lower antenna by turning radio OFF

2) Remove antenna nut, O-ring (N/A on pre-94 cars I think), spacer, and bushing.

***STOP HERE IF REMOVING MOTOR****
***See further down for motor removal

3) Before completely removing the antenna mast, note the orientation of the drive cable teeth. They should be pointing towards the left rear corner of the car. Maybe even a little more left than that.

Carefully withdraw the antenna mast while extending it by turning the radio ON. The mast lifts straight up and out.

Installation:

1) Hold the antenna mast drive cable (the plastic cable with teeth) so its teeth point the same way the old mast came out. Insert the drive cable into the antenna housing.

2) Check for engagement by gently moving the cable up and down. It should engage the gears inside the motor. Try to get as much cable engaged as you can, to where the metal base of the antenna mast can install into the antenna housing

3) Turn the radio OFF and let the motor pull the mast in. If the mast does not fully retract, turn the radio ON and try holding the mast in place for a few clicks of the motor. It sounds like its jumping teeth, and
it is. Perfectly normal.

4) Install the bushing, spacer, Oring and antenna nut. Torque the nut to 1.7lb-ft (2.3N-m). This is a fairly light torque, and if you overtorque, you will deform the fender. SO DO NOT OVERTORQUE. Go slow once the antenna nut becomes too hard to turn by hand. If you can see the fender flex a little, BACK OFF. THATS MORE THAN ENOUGH. The slots in the nut should be in line with the fender.

5) Turn radio ON and let the antenna raise fully, then OFF again and lower fully. A few clicks may be heard while the control cable is seating. Check for full retraction and extension with repeated ON and OFF of
the radio switch.

**Done with mast replacement
****CONTINUE HERE IF REMOVING MOTOR****

3) Remove the three or four push pins inside truck which hold the left side carpet panel in place. A dandelion digger or any forked tool works great on the push pins. Also lift up on the rubber trunk seal off the trunk body lip to allow the carpet panel to be folded inward towards center of trunk. Unplug the trunk light connector.

4) Unplug antenna motor electical, unplug antenna cable.

5) Unbolt and remove the motor from the car, I think there are 3 12mm bolts on the motor bracket.

Done!

Is it safe to assume that if you hear the motor running and the antenna sometimes goes up and down but not 100% of the way that the antenna mast is what I need to replace?

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~mast~assy~39152-sl0-a01.html

Is it safe to assume that if you hear the motor running and the antenna sometimes goes up and down but not 100% of the way that the antenna mast is what I need to replace?

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~mast~assy~39152-sl0-a01.html

Good morning. Looking for an antenna mast for the 1991 myself and have come to find there are conflicting answers all over the forum. Since the 1991 part is discontinued, does anyone know definitively if the Honda accord mast part #39152-SM4-A03 works in the 1991 nsx without modifications?

Some have indicated they are identical while others have said the accord mast needs slight modification on the mast base. Was wondering if anyone in 2021 has had to change their antenna mast and which OEM solution works best.

Thanks!

[MENTION=38468]Joa[/MENTION] the antenna mast assembly appears to still be available from Honda Japan. 50 bucks from Amayama.

@Joa the antenna mast assembly appears to still be available from Honda Japan. 50 bucks from Amayama.
[MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] - Fantastic! thanks! Just took a look. This appears to be it: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/39152sl0a01 . Was wondering if this part would also work: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-parts/acura-mast-set-39177sl0305

Part# 39177-sl0-305 on oemacuraparts appears to be the complete mast plus the nuts/fastner/screw. Wondering if anyone has tried that part number. Searched prime but nothing popped up.

@Honcho - Fantastic! thanks! Just took a look. This appears to be it: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/39152sl0a01 . Was wondering if this part would also work: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-parts/acura-mast-set-39177sl0305

Part# 39177-sl0-305 on oemacuraparts appears to be the complete mast plus the nuts/fastner/screw. Wondering if anyone has tried that part number. Searched prime but nothing popped up.

according the the fitment guide in the oemacuraparts link you posted, yes it will fit.

according the the fitment guide in the oemacuraparts link you posted, yes it will fit.

Awesome. I will give that a shot. Already purchased the accord mas which should be on its way soon. We will be able to compare and contrast both!

Back