• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing the Cam Pulley

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a timing belt change and wanted to swap out the cam oil seals. Anybody have experiencing removing the cam gear retaining bolt without moving the cams? I have the 5mm pins placed into the cam shaft. Not sure if i should be trying to loosen the cam gear with that pin in place. I tried one cam gear locking tool that didn't work out since the exhaust cam gear as a lip in front of the cam gear teeth. Maybe i'm overthinking it, but wanted to be sure before i either purchase or fabricate tools.

Thanks,
Vince

I normally removed the cams with their wheels, loosened the bolt outside of the car and put it back in. I guess you're going to change the cam seals.

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a timing belt change and wanted to swap out the cam oil seals. Anybody have experiencing removing the cam gear retaining bolt without moving the cams? I have the 5mm pins placed into the cam shaft. Not sure if i should be trying to loosen the cam gear with that pin in place. I tried one cam gear locking tool that didn't work out since the exhaust cam gear as a lip in front of the cam gear teeth. Maybe i'm overthinking it, but wanted to be sure before i either purchase or fabricate tools.

Thanks,
Vince

The pins will permit loosening/tightening of the cam bolts, but most remove the cams with the wheels still attached and then remove the bolts. I personally use a spanner wrench to hold the cam gear while I torque the center bolts.

You can't trust the pins to hold for loosening the cam gears. Once the bolts have settled in they take a lot more than the 50 something lbft torque spec to break loose. I snapped off the end of a 5mm punch trying to loosen the cam gears like that before just pulling the cams and using an impact like most people suggest. Cleaning tiny shards of shattered steel out of the cylinder head isn't fun and it would have been borderline impossible if I weren't already planning on removing the heads and cleaning/inspecting them on the bench.

Last edited:
Back