• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repair bose or upgrade ?

Hi
My 1992 speakers sound awful.Lots of crackling noise.I assume the amps are fried?
My question is,should I get them repaired or replace with aftermarket speakers and amplifier?
I have read that the OEM equipment was tailored to each car and that it is best to stay original.
Cost wise,it may be cheaper to go aftermarket.
I don't need a super duper sound system.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Tony

I'm at this crossroads as well, with a few exceptions. The previous owner did install an aftermarket amp, and aftermarket door speakers. The stock head unit is now fried, and I have an empty, wrinkly paint center console begging for a fix. Do I repair the head unit (is that even possible?) or should I just get the DF center console and an aftermarket head unit? Decisions decisions.

I have to disagree on repairing the speakers. I had my speakers sent to Bose for repair and it still sounded like crap. I ended up wasting money on getting them repaired and waited like 6 weeks. I bought some boston acoustics seperates, zetoolmans subwoofer version 3, put in my zapco competition amp, and added a eq. The system rocks now and you can ask anyone who sat in my car. Yes it costs more than fixing the speakers, but way worth it.

Fixing the bose speakers is the cheapest way to go, but not worth it in my opinion. If you are on a budget then get the speakers fixed. I am sure BrianK will do a great job on it and get it back to you way faster than Bose.

ED

yeah Briank's has stated before BOSE replaces the parts that are bad, not all of them so you have some parts 20+ years old and new parts, well the 20 year old parts soon fail and you send them backagain they only fix the broken ones, not replace all of them so it will last another 20. dumb ass Bose quick repair. LOL

Factory Car Stero Repair repaired my radio for around 325.00. SOS repaired my amps sounds great. i am very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Back