• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repair shop in southern cal

I need to take my car in for a valve adjustment and a check engine light fix. I live in the LA area. Anyone knows of a good NSX repair shop or mechanic? Thanks.

tom

How is the price at South Bay Acura? I called them a while back asking for an oil change and they wanted around $60, while Sierra Acura only charges $35. If anyone has brought his/her car to South Bay for a major service (i.e., timing belt/water pump change or valve adjustment), please let me know how satisfied he/she was. I know that Jon Martin (?) is there. Thanks.

I had an ongoing problem with my car which Basch worked on and incorrectly diagnosed as "Your car just runs hot at the track" and he put a high-pressure radiator cap on it. The problem only got worse with time. Everyone else thought it was head gaskets.

After getting a very high price from my local dealer to do head gaskets (engine has to be pulled) I got a quote from AutoWave in Hungtington Beach which was very reasonable.

I told them everyone suspected (well almost everyone) head gaskets and AutoWave's immediate reaction was,"Let's check the coolant tank for exhaust gases before we pull the engine".

I ended up driving the car to HB and leaving it there for week. The car was done ON TIME, they had a pleasant demeanor, opened the shop on Saturday for me to drop it off, called me several times during the week to advise me on progress, and I didn't get any attitude when I questioned some of the work being done ( they did a lot more than just head gaskets - since the engine was out it was easy to do some major PM)

In the end they did head gaskets and a lot more and it was still cheaper to drive to LA, fly back to Phoenix, fly back to LA a week later and drive home than to just have my dealer do only head gaskets.

And the on-going problem I was having WAS head gaskets and the car is perfect now. They even called me the Monday after we got home with the car to make sure everything went OK as we picked up the car and then drove the 400 miles back to Phoenix.

If I need any more major engine work I'm taking the car back to them.

http://www.autowaveinc.com/index2.htm

I've also had good luck with Autowave.
Timing Belt, Water Pump, 60K Service.
Reasonable price. They were honest and straight forward.
I got the feeling they really care about the car and their work.
my $0.02

tschang13 said:
How is the price at South Bay Acura? I called them a while back asking for an oil change and they wanted around $60, while Sierra Acura only charges $35. If anyone has brought his/her car to South Bay for a major service (i.e., timing belt/water pump change or valve adjustment), please let me know how satisfied he/she was. I know that Jon Martin (?) is there. Thanks.

If you leave your car with Jon Martin, she will be in very good and trusted hands. He'll take care of you. :)

Casper91 said:
(Autowave) They were honest and straight forward.

Me, too. With over 90 NSXs in their data base to date, I think it's safe to say they're one of the premiere shops for this car on the west coast.

t

So lets see Bill- Two and a half years ago you asked me to diagnose why you lost about half a cup of coolant, but only at the track,after a days hard racing (CTSC'd). At the time, the cap was a miracle for which I recieved endless praise.

Thirty months, actually three years now that I think about it, later, I mis-diagnosed your car.

Your lies are wearing a bit thin, Billy Boy

I am missing something here?:confused:

NSXTech said:
So lets see Bill- Two and a half years ago you asked me to diagnose why you lost about half a cup of coolant, but only at the track,after a days hard racing (CTSC'd). At the time, the cap was a miracle for which I recieved endless praise.

Thirty months, actually three years now that I think about it, later, I mis-diagnosed your car.

Your lies are wearing a bit thin, Billy Boy

I just moved up here to Long Beach and need to get my master brake cylinder replaced. According to this thread - John Martin from Acura of South Bay is good - but when I called they told me he is no longer there. Anyone know where he is currently at? If not, any other dealers or shops close to Long Beach/LA? I also tried Appliedmotorsports.com and they are are "closed"...tried the number they left but it is not accepting messages.

Jon Martin is now the service manager at Cerritos Acura

John Martin at Cerritos Acura or Shane at Autowave are the only two local shops that I recommend to other NSX owners.

There are cheaper alternatives, to be sure, but in my opinion, and only my opinion, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Jon Martin - Developer of the 3.8L stroker motor sold by SOS
Cerritos Acura
18827 Studebaker Rd
Cerritos, CA 90703
562-402-5281

Last edited:
Niguel Motors. Ramon is the man!!!!

Ditto.. Niguel Motors.. I'd go back there in the future..

Ramon is in Laguna Niguel, Crown Valley exit, 2 lights west to Cabot, turn right, he's up about 1 mile on the right. Works on Volvos and Acuras only. I think his prices are more then reasonable, far less then any stealership! Good Luck :biggrin:

When it comes to reputable shops... you always get what you pay for :)

Da Hapa said:
John Martin at Cerritos Acura or Shane at Autowave are the only two local shops that I recommend to other NSX owners.

There are cheaper alternatives, to be sure, but in my opinion, and only my opinion, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Casper91 said:
I've also had good luck with Autowave.
Timing Belt, Water Pump, 60K Service.
Reasonable price. They were honest and straight forward.
my $0.02
I too highly recommend Autowave. The team at Autowave really take a lot of pride in their work. You will get top notch service and attention to detail there.
http://www.autowaveinc.com/

Back