• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacement Catalytic Converters

My '91 (with less than 91,000 miles) failed emission tests and my mechanic says I need to replace the catalytic converters. I don't want to spend a ton of money on OEM converters. Any recommendations out there on after-market brand cat converters that are reasonably priced? Thanks!

My '91 (with less than 91,000 miles) failed emission tests and my mechanic says I need to replace the catalytic converters. I don't want to spend a ton of money on OEM converters. Any recommendations out there on after-market brand cat converters that are reasonably priced? Thanks!

I think Random Technology sells hiflow replacement cats - around $500 to $600/pr.

Probably worth getting a 2nd opinion. Factory cats are pretty darn robust. Smog failures are almost always due to something cheaper than new cats. Post up the emission numbers in the DIY section.

Just replaced the test pipes with random cats from Dali and i passed emissions with flying colors. There was no loss in power over the test pipes from a performnace feel. According to Larry B whom installed them, they fit in quite nice and easy. They are indeed much lighter than t5eh stock cats as well.

Just replaced the test pipes with random cats from Dali and i passed emissions with flying colors. There was no loss in power over the test pipes from a performnace feel. According to Larry B whom installed them, they fit in quite nice and easy. They are indeed much lighter than t5eh stock cats as well.

So the random cats might give you a few HP.

How is the noisy level?

Run the car hard get it good and hot dont shut it off my friends WRX STI passed without CATS.

Back