• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing indash with Zune or Clix

I currently have OEM headunit and CD changer. Connected to an 4 channel Alpine Amp that powers Boston Acoustic Component speaker and a Bazooka tube. since changer is in the trunk. I find myseld listen to CD I placed in there 2 years ago.. LOL.

Im just asking myself. Is there any advantage to get an upgraded Indash stereo?

I have a Zune80. 80 gig of music/video capability and it also has a FM tuner. I also have a I-River Clix that has 4 gig of flash memory and Radio tuner. I can simply use a 3.5mm stereo headphone to L/R RCA cable and connect the Zune or Iriver Clix to the amp. Rig a Cig adaptor to USB adaptor for power source.

Both unit is small enough just to use some type of Ipod mount. There is built in Volume control too.

Im just looking into Stereo upgrade without hacking into the dash.

I don't think you would gain anything with a head unit replacement unless you were upgrading to video, Nav, or bluetooth capability. That is assuming that your existing components are in good working condition.

You could get a cell-phone vent mount to hold the Zune or Clix and run cable through the AC vent below the clock, down behind the oem stereo, to the amplifier and/or a power source. Then you would have easy access to the Zune or Clix clipped right to the AC vent. You could also attach a music-capable cell phone to the mount to listen to music or take hands-free phone calls.

Attachments

• AC vent mount.jpg
    AC vent mount.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
for the sake of testing I connected my Clix to directly to my Alpine amp. Everything works. Sounds good. However The only drawback is that adjusting treb and bass is more of a pain. Radio worked fine , Volume control works so it is possible to replace the OEM hand unit with a Portable media device.

I will leave it like that for a while to see if I can stand it.

Last edited:
Not really noticable by passenger. One of my friend sat in the car and ask.."where is the sub?"

attachment.php

In my S13 I run my Ipod direct into my amp and then out to the speakers from there. no head unit..... it works fine, however all controlls are then in the ipod for volume etc.
MAtt

Back