• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing rear brake pads

Hi everyone. I attempted to replace the rear pads after replacing the fronts. Ater taking the rear wheels off, I seem to be stuck after removing the lower bolt that normally enables you to swing the center caliper piece up to get to the pads. The e-brake seems to be in the way and not allowing the caliper to move at all. I tried removing the this coil-style clip, the two bolts holding the e-brake cable and both are no help. Next to the coil-style clip I took out, I see this rather large bolt attaching the caliper to the car (I am positive this is the culprit). But I am afraid to remove it since this is a rather weird looking bolt with threads drilled in the middle. Should I remove this bolt and will it allow me to swing the caliper up?

Thanks,
Randy

Rear caliper doesn't swing up like the front. Undo top and bottom bolts, and remove the piston half of the caliper completely. Also undo the bracket that attaches the fluid hose to the suspension first. The hose is too tight too allow the caliper to be removed. Also the cover has to be removed.

There is no need to remove any part of the handbrake cable to change the pads.

Back