• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing the partition glass?

Has anyone removed/installed the partition glass in their NSX? The square glass that seperates the cabin from the engine compartment, in case you don't know what im talking about. The reason i ask, is because my glass seems to have a haze, almost like someone took a scotch brite pad to the glass. When i feel the glass with my fingers, it is smooth on both sides, so the haze is in b/w the two panes of glass. How hard is it to replace? The price of the glass is not too bad from oemacuraparts.com, $438.

thanks,
Jay

If you end up replacing then you might want to consider the Zanardi glass or type-s partition. It is single pane and lighter then the regular dual pane one. But you will hear more engine noise with the thinner glass if you dont mind that.

before you go through the trouble of trying to replace it, see if you can polish out the haze. Your local detailer, auto glass dealer, or bumper repair shop might have so ideas to remove it.

You can try using a clay bar, the kind you use to auto detail your car and see if it will help at all. The clay bar is fairly safe on glass.

Another idea is to post in the auto detail forum here and see if you can't get some help from the detailers.

Post pics.

If you end up replacing then you might want to consider the Zanardi glass or type-s partition. It is single pane and lighter then the regular dual pane one. But you will hear more engine noise with the thinner glass if you dont mind that.
I don't know the difference between single/double pane glass, but with single, isn't there a greater risk of getting cut if shattered? Given that there's no gluey substance in between. Come to think of it, i'd really like someone to shine some light on this. Not jackin' the thread, but seems like an advice that can be applied to the point too :)

I believe it's usually dirt that gets sucked in as the air seals go. If you can get it apart all you should have to do is wash it. About getting that vacuum back is up to someone else to chime in on...

I don't know the difference between single/double pane glass, but with single, isn't there a greater risk of getting cut if shattered? Given that there's no gluey substance in between. Come to think of it, i'd really like someone to shine some light on this. Not jackin' the thread, but seems like an advice that can be applied to the point too :)

I would think Honda thought about any safety issues before doing something like this......so in my opinion the glass is tempered just like the windshield so it shouldnt be that much of a concern unless you are flying face first through it.

I would think Honda thought about any safety issues before doing something like this......so in my opinion the glass is tempered just like the windshield so it shouldnt be that much of a concern unless you are flying face first through it.
Ya I agree. Altho trusting the manufacturer for the best safety issues could be questionable at times. They may not use what is the best, and may only be what's profitable and enough to pass the regulations of testing. Doesn't it make you wonder why many high end cars have crappy sound systems, and especially the mags? Why most of the stock mags look like crap, heavy as hell, and expensive as heck? U would think these billion $ would spend a little more on the wheels eh. Stainless steel don't cost that much!

Windshields are NOT tempered. Windshields are laminated with a layer of plastic between glass. They are designed to not shatter. Windshields get hit with rocks, debris, etc. and the layer of plastic prevents the windshield from breaking into pieces.

Tempered glass is used in the side windows of vehicles. When it is hit - it shatters into many small pieces, reducing injury.

I have no idea what is used for the compartment glass in the NSX. But tempered glass usually has an etched label. I'll have to look when I get in the car today.

A good overview of safety glass can be found here.

If you're flying face first through that little window, you have other bigger problems to deal with that some cuts, don't ya know??

Hofffman- you are right I knew one of them were tempered though hehe....

Easygoin- You know what I would expect that from GM or Chrysler but Honda is known to build pretty decent cars so I would think their standards are a little higher. ;)

Lonestranger- I would think so ;) haha

Good day guys.....it looks like rain today in so cal :cool:

Back