• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing Valve cover gasket

I was going to do mine but looking in the NSX manual I could not find the instructions. Is it whats on page 6-21? If so it does not seem to give all instructions. Looking at the car there appears to be some hoses and wires that need to be removed as well in order to take the cover off.Yes, no? Anyone have detailed step by step instructions for those of us who's skulls are thicker than normal?

Thanks.

Matt C

What year car??

For 1991-1994 cars start on page 23-96 to see removal of coils and covers, then move to 6-21. Back cover is a little tough, you have limited access to remove/replace the 02 sensor wire. Front one requires the plastic covers and 02 wires to be removed. Sorry no step by step.

If the car is 1997 or newer) there is one additional step which is removing the wiring bracket on the rear bulkhead for the 02 sensor wire so you can get the rear cover off.

May I ask your experience level? Please be sure you are ready to tackle this, if the seals are not in place properly, you will be doing it over again.

You will need these gaskets(same for all years):

VC Gasket 12341-PR7-A01 (2)
Spark Plug Gasket 12343-PR7-A00 (6)
Cover Washers 90442-PR7-A00 (12)

HTH,
LarryB

StGeorge said:
All gaskets (valve cover packing, coil seals, and round rubber/metal seals) are available from Acura as a for each cover as a package rather then individually.

And that gasket set would be part # 12030-PR7-010. Two required. :) You might want to price shop between the two available ways.

The pricing between the two is about $1.50 difference (list per side), the "kit" being a little cheaper. James, thanks for pointing that out. I always ordered them separately:).

Regards,
LarryB

If you do end up replacing your valve cover gaskets. One thing that I like to do is use a light adhesive between the valve cover and valve cover gaskets. I clean the inside of the valve covers with brake kleen and then blow it dry with compressed air. This gets the oil out and lets the adhesive bond between the valve cover and gasket. I use a small brush and apply it just to the inside channels where the valve cover gasket sits. This will minimize the chances of the gasket coming off when you are "wrestling" with the rear valve cover. Good Luck

Replacing the valve cover gaskets is a piece of cake. I took mine off many times without incident.
Just have to do some wiggiling on the rear cover to remove it.
BTW, mine is a 3.0l

Back