• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Requesting help on front 17" wheel/tire size

Hello NSX Prime wheel and tire experts. I am currently deciding upon buying a new/used track set-up (17/17 or 17/18 options) and want to avoid any rubbing issues. My car is lowered (Bilstein shocks w/Eibach lowering springs), so that needs to be taken into account.

I've read countless threads but have not come across the info I need to ensure I make a proper decision. I'd appreciate some help with the following questions:

1. Do I need to fit nothing wider than a 215 size tire for the front on a 17" wheel?

2. If so, I presume the best 17" wheel width for a 215 tire is 7.5, correct? 8" is too wide (not ideal fit) for a 215 tire, correct?

3. If I can go wider without any chance of rubbing, is the max tire width 225/40-17 or 235/40-17?

4. Lastly, what is the widest tire you can properly mount on a 17x7.5 wheel?

Because my car is lowered, I am not sure if an exact answer on wheel/tire width can be determined due to this variable. That is, not knowing exactly how much my car has been lowered. I currently have 18" front wheels with 215 tires and no rubbing problems. Thanks guys.

Steve

Last edited:
215 is fine on a 8" wide front wheel.

You CAN fit a 235 on a 7.5 (what i'm doing), but many others will disagree. 215 is a good size for a 7.5" wide.

Go with 215 on 7.5 or 8" wide wheel if you don't want rubbing. 235/40-17 on a 8" wheel will rub at full lock (you're never at full lock unless doing a U-turn) but for some it's the end of the world.

First, I want to again thank you, Stuntman, for your input.

Regarding front wheel/tire fitment on a lowered NSX... I have been considering buying a used 17x8 and 17x9.5 wheel/tire package from another Prime member. Although Stuntman and others indicate you can run anywhere from a 215-235 wide tire on an 8" wheel, I found the following info from doing more research.

You can fit a 215 tire on an 8" wide wheel. However, most tire brands recommend 225 as the minimum width. A 215 tire best fits a 7-7.5" wheel. Just because one can use a 215 tire on an 8" wheel doesn't mean one should. Some consider that a "stretched" fitment, a non-technical term.

So, using a 225/40 or 235/40 tire is best. This, however, presents two problems. There are very few tires that come in a 225/40 size. Also, rubbing becomes a probable issue with this size and especially a 235 size. Soooooo, I believe it is best to go with a 7.5" front wheel for track use as I currently have for street use. My street set-up is 18x7.5 and 19x9.5.

"Track rats" accept some rubbing as a price worth paying for improved grip. I'm no track rat. My NSX is my baby that I will occasionally track but will always protect. I may be wrong about all this, but for now I will keep searching to buy a modestly priced new or used wheel/tire package with 17x7.5 fronts.

First, I want to again thank you, Stuntman, for your input.

Regarding front wheel/tire fitment on a lowered NSX... I have been considering buying a used 17x8 and 17x9.5 wheel/tire package from another Prime member. Although Stuntman and others indicate you can run anywhere from a 215-235 wide tire on an 8" wheel, I found the following info from doing more research.

You can fit a 215 tire on an 8" wide wheel. However, most tire brands recommend 225 as the minimum width. A 215 tire best fits a 7-7.5" wheel. Just because one can use a 215 tire on an 8" wheel doesn't mean one should. Some consider that a "stretched" fitment, a non-technical term.

So, using a 225/40 or 235/40 tire is best. This, however, presents two problems. There are very few tires that come in a 225/40 size. Also, rubbing becomes a probable issue with this size and especially a 235 size. Soooooo, I believe it is best to go with a 7.5" front wheel for track use as I currently have for street use. My street set-up is 18x7.5 and 19x9.5.

"Track rats" accept some rubbing as a price worth paying for improved grip. I'm no track rat. My NSX is my baby that I will occasionally track but will always protect. I may be wrong about all this, but for now I will keep searching to buy a modestly priced new or used wheel/tire package with 17x7.5 fronts.

Well, looks like I'm answering my own questions (aside from Stuntman's input). After more research, I ended-up talking with a Tirerack rep after browsing their impressive website. I like how they automatically match front and rear wheel options to what wheel manufacturer and wheel size you select. All 17x8 wheels matched with a 215/40 tire option for a 1991 NSX. The Tirerack rep said a 215/40 tire can fit on wheels with a width ranging from 7"-8.5".

So Stuntman, you were right all along. :cool:

Also remember that the main reason a 215/40/17 is the largest tire which will fit is because of height , not width , you could also run a 225/35/17 but it is an even more oddball size...

also keep in mind that tire rack's offset recommendations are very conservative , and the nsx can actually take a wider offset when lowered ( a result of the suspension geometry)

Last edited:
Go with the Dunlop Star Spec tires in the size 215/40/17 for the fronts and you will be extremely happy with that tire. I have 18" rears and use the Dunlop Super Sport Race tires that I bought a couple years ago and they are fine but when those go, I will replace them with the 265/35/18 Star Specs. I have 17x8 fronts and 18x10 rears.

Go with 17/18. Tire profiles front and rear would look better. 17/17 would make the front wheel look bigger due to the lower profile of the front tire compared to the rear.

Thanks for the input, guys. I've found supportive proof that a 17x8 front wheel is recommended by many wheel aftermarket businesses, not to mention NSX owners. So, looks like I'll probably go with a 17x8 and 17x9.5 or 17x10 set-up for my track tires and run a 215 tire up front. :biggrin:

Back