• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Require help on wiring Double Din Nav.

I was going to start this project this weekend and have the following unit that a friend gave me new. I bought the SOS adapter to keep my stock speakers and amps. The following pics show the back of the unit, the wire harness that plugs into my head unit that has black connections on both ends and the SOS adaptor with the white end and the other RCA's and 5 colored wires.
I must be missing something here that plugs into my head units big black squarish connector. Any help would be appreciated in telling me what to go out yet and get, plus any tips on hooking up any of the rest, or what not to worry about.
Thanks so much!
Trev
[email protected]

Attachments

• TrevsAS-6586G01.JPG
    TrevsAS-6586G01.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 63
  • TrevsAS-6586G02.JPG
    TrevsAS-6586G02.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 69
  • TrevsAS-6586G03.jpg
    TrevsAS-6586G03.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 74
  • TrevsAS-6586G04.JPG
    TrevsAS-6586G04.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 60
  • TrevsAS-6586G05.JPG
    TrevsAS-6586G05.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 87
does Alberta use even or odd FM freq. make sure your radio matches up otherwise you won't be able to match up with your local FM stations.

You didn't mention what kind of head unit this was. Looks like one of those Chinese head units.

If I had to guess, it looks like you have a head unit that is either specific to a car, or a harness that is specific to a head unit and car.

What it looks like to me is that you can cut off that black box that doesn't fit anywhere, and then match up the wires to the SOS harness. There's actually not many wires to connect up as most of those wires look like speaker wires and you won't be needing those since you will just use the RCAs to power your OEM amp.

So I would guess you just need constant 12v (yellow), switched 12v (red), ground (black), illumination (one of the orange wires), amp contol goes to your SOS blue wire (this looks like brown on your harness).

Anyhow, I didn't bother to try to figure out which wire on that Chinese head unit does what, but just match them up accordingly. The only difference being that you will need to connect the amp turn on (brown) to the blue wire on the SOS harness.

You might want to attach the parking brake wire to ground. You'll have to hookup the reverse wire if you have a reverse camera.

Last edited:
Thanks, you guys rock, and yes, it is an all in one Chinese unit!!! lol
I will post more after i come back from Drinking.....
I see exactly what you are talking about and appreciate your time and effort.
I do want to be able to watch the dvd while not parked, for the passenger that is. I do have to get a rear view camera as well, Joe forgot to send me one.
And yes, most of those wires are regular speaker wires in that block, so they do not effect me.
Thanks once again.
Trev

the black box is a euro plug(ie 70-1784) the rest is what he said ^^^

thats the second radio ive seen on here with that already on it.

You might notice a lot of quirks with the Chinese head units. Some make a lot of noise. Some are louder on sources like radio vs CD vs Ipod, etc. The Chinese just can't seem to get it right. My friend had his FM tuner die out on him. I'll put my money on you getting frustrated to the point where you buy a name brand unit like Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine in about 1-2 years. :) I'll check back in on this thread then...

I will take pictures of me throwing it out the window in front of a big semi.
Actually video with sound!!!
That should be a cool day, til then, we can all have fun with this unit.
Will post install in great detail as I do with everything I do with the nsx.
You know me.
Trev

I think spider2k is right , looks like bmw or vw ( like a 70-1784) just cut it of and connect to your sos plug , good news is it looks like they used EIA wire colors so it should be super easy color for color , BTW - it may be worth your while to hook this thing up on the bench first (A) to make sure it isn't DOA , and (B) to see how crappy it is , you may want to do as maliburapper said and just buy something nice.

You might notice a lot of quirks with the Chinese head units. Some make a lot of noise. Some are louder on sources like radio vs CD vs Ipod, etc. The Chinese just can't seem to get it right. My friend had his FM tuner die out on him. I'll put my money on you getting frustrated to the point where you buy a name brand unit like Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine in about 1-2 years. :) I'll check back in on this thread then...

Funny thing is , all the "good" brands are ALSO made in china , you'd think they would just copy them...

Funny thing is....
I'm just putting this in so I can find Angus's house so he can install my RC440 injectors and AEM FIC.
Chevor

Funny thing is....
I'm just putting this in so I can find Angus's house so he can install my RC440 injectors and AEM FIC.
Chevor

In that case you will really get lost , this way , I don't have to tell you to...

Ok, your right this is really a POS, but kind of works....lol.
Will be replacing it soon.
Questions......
How come I only get like 3.6 volts out of my nsx harness for the battery back up? My unit won't function with this connected yellow to yellow and with the 12 volt red to red. I had to hook up the red and yellow from my deck to the red only from the nsx wire harness to make it work. Of course when the key is turned off, everything is off and resets.

Also this units POPS, with every change of menu or source.
I have been told to buy line filters at the source.

Also this thing is 4.25" high, is that normal, to me it looks like I will be screwed fitting back in the assss tray. I really don't want it anyway and want to put my gauges there. But that is tall.

Here are some pics, thanks for the help.
I'll run this for a week or so, down to Westfest in Kelowna, then toss it man.

Thanks
Trev

Attachments

• Nav01.JPG
    Nav01.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Nav02.JPG
    Nav02.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Nav03.JPG
    Nav03.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 32
  • Nav04.JPG
    Nav04.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Nav06.JPG
    Nav06.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 48
Fuse Location and Number please, if possible?
Trev

How come I only get like 3.6 volts out of my nsx harness for the battery back up? My unit won't function with this connected yellow to yellow and with the 12 volt red to red. I had to hook up the red and yellow from my deck to the red only from the nsx wire harness to make it work. Of course when the key is turned off, everything is off and resets.

Can you check the wire on the NSX harness (the one coming from the car) itself to make sure it's 12v? Sometimes aftermarket harness don't make good contact with the pins of the OEM harness. Hopefully the wire from the car will show 12v.

Also this units POPS, with every change of menu or source.
I have been told to buy line filters at the source.

Line filters may or may not help. I would bet that they won't help. These noise issues are common with the Chinese head units.

Also this thing is 4.25" high, is that normal, to me it looks like I will be screwed fitting back in the assss tray. I really don't want it anyway and want to put my gauges there. But that is tall.

DD is usually 4" so the head unit seems a bit large. I think the designers probably used a Chinese made ruler and so the numbers and markings probably rubbed off due to high lead and melamine content. Hence you ended up with a head unit a bit too large.

F..., no wonder my clock does not work, I just thought i didn't plug it in....lol
If I put the unit in water overnite, will it shrink to 4"?
Thanks
Trev
Walking out to my car to check fuse now!

Yes, Said Fuse is blown!
I was wondering why I wasn't ripping the tyres off with 9.5lbs of boost.
The computer didn't know what to do.
Ahhhhh.......
Cheque is in the mail Boyz!
Rewiring tonite.
Reloading IGO8 instead of Route66
Grap'n some filters from Source if they have them.
Paring Blackberry Pearl with BlueTooth
That should be about it, maybe......
Trev.

Done, I can't believe the sound out of this wild system.
Nothing can beat this man.
I even took the opportunity to add in a power bar for the external nav, radar detector and bottle warmer.
Oh, ya, if it looks like stock, its because it is.
It took me exactly 8 minutes to rip out that Chinese piece of shit and toss it across the garage floor!
Don't tell my friend Joe though.....lol
Took me another 40 minutes to put the stock one back in, wiping everything nicely as I went, after years of spilled coffee and finger prints and what not.
Thanks for the help.
I'll let you know when I'm up for my bullshit.
Trev
Oh, one tech said I could use 10k resistor on battery backup to reduce pop.
I said, I just drink Crystal lite.

Attachments

• DSC06585_resize.JPG
    DSC06585_resize.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC06586_resize.JPG
    DSC06586_resize.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 38
Back