• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Resale on NSX

Tim,

Am I missing something, you thought EAC buying a 96 with 140k+ for 29k, but you didn't think this one I posted for a potential buyer was a good deal? :confused:

1995 Acura NSX Targa Green/Tan - 60k Service Completed - 67k mi
JH4NA1185ST000573

Buy it Now:$26490

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...item4aa4caaeb9

Not that modifications add value but mine is quite a bit different than the one you posted.

Mine had the following modifications. The timing belt, waterpump, coils, plugs and wires had just been done as well.

6 speed swap off 2000 NSX

Stoptech Big Brake System - Front

Stoptech Big Brake System - Rear - INCLUDES E-BRAKE

Hawk Pads (Dust Monsters)

Tint by 3M Solar---- rear glass @ 50% and doors @ 25%

Bosch HID 6000k

Cantrell Air Induction System

Uni Dual-Stage Foam Filter

ARC Ti- Titanium Exhaust

Cantrell Concepts Advanced Header System

Blodi Signal Covers

Downforce NSX-R DF-R Rear Spoiler (exposed carbon fiber)

WW side skirts

Downforce 02 Style Sports Rear Valence

Downforce spoiler

Koni Yellow-Style Suspension Dampers

H&R Lowering Springs

CF overlaid kit

Honda Zanardi NSX Floormats (charcoal black with red piping and stitching)

Pioneer AVIC-F700BT In-Dash Satellite Radio/Apple iPod-Ready/CD Player/GPS Receiver

Science of Speed ProFormance Audiophile Stereo System - Stage 2

Volk Racing CE-28N, 17x8.0 18x9.5 (big brake clearance)

Blox Titanium 17mm lugs

NRG short hub

NRG 2.5 Quick release

NRG cruise switch

320mm Sparco Tuner wheel

NRG steering lock

6 speed off 2000 NSX

Acura new clutch kit

NSX-R Shift Boot

Last edited:
My first new car was a carefully optioned 1964 Pontiac GTO (Bobcat for those in the know) only 6 or 8 were built -- paid $3,300 incl tax and lic. Car ran the 1/4 in the high 12s at 113mph. Sold it two years later for what I paid for it. Three years ago a near-duplicate (museum quality) sold at auction for $400K.

"Bobcat" as in Ace Wilsons Royal Pontiac, Detroit MI...those were the days if you were a street racer.

BTW, purchased a '69 Yenko Chevelle new in Fargo, ND for about $4K. Those too have gone through the roof.

"Bobcat" as in Ace Wilsons Royal Pontiac, Detroit MI...those were the days if you were a street racer.

BTW, purchased a '69 Yenko Chevelle new in Fargo, ND for about $4K. Those too have gone through the roof.

I blame my parents for selling their 69 Camaro RR/SS. Truthfully, I didn't care until I saw them selling for 6 figures at auction a couple years ago. They blame me - saying "we needed a car we could keep on the road with a baby in the back seat".

I wonder what car my kids will hate me for selling....Oh wait, I know the answer to that question.

i know late to the party but 99 miatas are all junk, earlier responses. raced 95 4 years. earlier miatas had forged internals. hansolo didnt know they all have issues.

Last edited:
Unlike Porsche that had troubles - major troubles with it's 996 and 997 with the IMS and RMS issues which have just now been solved - the IMS solution came aftermarket!!! Can you imagine the Japanese putting out cars that could have 10% with catastrophic engine failures and think that was ok? Unbelievable. So that's what your dealing with here - a magic moment in the anals of sports car production. You'll see.

I agree with you that the NSX is probably the most reliable sports car.

However, the Porsche 996's that had catastrophic engine failures were mainly 1999 model years. I have not heard of any of the later 996 models (2002-2005) having such failures. I own a 2002 996C4S with 67k miles and never had IMS or RMS.

These seemed to happen to 1999's and I believe a few 2000's with low miles. Beware of buying a 10k mile 1999 - 996. The 2002-2005 996's are perfectly safe. The RMS leaks happen if you don't drive the car. Cars are meant to be driven. I drive mine and never had any leaks.

An asset is worth exactly what someone else is willing to write you a check for, at the time of the transaction.

read and understand the NSX is a car UnLike any other.
Moreover: NSX's are at least more than 5 years old now, most of them 15-20 years. It's like comparing apples with oranges as the quality of the cars differs a lot after such a long time.
I've seen pristine stock 91 being sold for around $35k and I guess these are the cars which sell fastest of them all.

I agree with you that the NSX is probably the most reliable sports car.

However, the Porsche 996's that had catastrophic engine failures were mainly 1999 model years. I have not heard of any of the later 996 models (2002-2005) having such failures. I own a 2002 996C4S with 67k miles and never had IMS or RMS.

These seemed to happen to 1999's and I believe a few 2000's with low miles. Beware of buying a 10k mile 1999 - 996. The 2002-2005 996's are perfectly safe. The RMS leaks happen if you don't drive the car. Cars are meant to be driven. I drive mine and never had any leaks.

A lot of what you say is true. Mostly issues on the early water coolers. But there surely have been cases even on the 997 for the RMS. That's what Bruce Anderson reports in Excellence in his market update. I know what you're saying about driving them and keeping the seal lubed. The IMS is totally based on the bearing and it could happen to any of them till the DFI models. Granted here again it's a small percentage but to rely on aftermarket bearing manufacturing to solve Porsche's problem - pretty shameless.

I love Porsches don't get me wrong - wanted the car you own - but I couldn't stand the thought of being a statistic and couln't afford it either. Glad you haven't had the problem and hope that continues.

I may have another - when the DFI (09s and later) come down into a price range I can afford for a while. I still say that maintaining a Porsche long term is gonna cost a lot more than an NSX. I'll be staying with my NSX for a many years.

I want a the new Targa S 911. That is a sweet car. Most likely with PDK. We'll see.

Back