• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Restoring a "barn" '91, need some friendly advice!

Fuel Pressure regulator seldom is discussed on this forum. Varnished old fuel can create a lot of problems though. Once you get the car back it will need to be driven to completely flush out all the old fuel even though the majority was replaced.
I am glad to see the thermostat was replaced.. There may be some air in the cooling system causing the temperature fluctuations.
Compression test should have been done to verify the timing belt. I wouldn't pay for that. Good to see good numbers though.
Spark plugs???? mine are still the originals (the dealer may be trying to re coupe some of their time with that.) Nice to have them replaced.

I have never seen a Stainless muffler fail, unless something crawled up inside and decided to live in it. The Catalytic converters still have that new smell.

Driving it will give everything a chance to break in.

Once you get it to Vancouver get someone like Angus to give it the once over. The drive will do it good and maybe uncover other maintenance requirements.

The comp numbers seem low but as long as they are even for the period of that test.
Don't run out and buy an aftermarket muffler.
Keep the car stock.
Lots of us have our old mufflers kicking around.
I have two.
I have a brand new shiny one in my garage attic I was saving, actually the whole system less the cats, but I do have my old cats.
I would be willing to install that new stock muffler on your car over at my house if you want, you can leave me your old muffler. It would take about an hour with my lift.
I very much doubt that your muffler has a problem though.
I have cut open two of them and there is nothing but air in them.
It would take a lot to corrode the perforated pipes inside of them.
I have posted pics in the past of what is inside the mufflers.
Let me know
Trev
780-953-1744

yah, I'm with Warren, just drive it now, gently and take it to higher revs as you would breaking in a rebuilt.
I just did this with Cindys 1968 Coronet R/T with 440 magnum that has been sitting in a field.
Now she revs freely and smoothly.

If you want to know what an Nsx is like bouncing off the 8000 rpm rev limiter, we'll take my car out for a rip!
Trev

1697 and ready to go!

I picked up the car this afternoon all the while keeping my anxiety in check. Started up the car, drove it around a few times around the block and YES it responsive! I step on the gas and it goes like it should. I especially feel the acceleration while in 2nd gear from 3000-6000 rpms; before, I floored it and nothing. Seems like everything is in working order. NSX > RX-8 (my current car) > Nissan Versa (the loaner car)

Some notes from the dealership:

1) Regarding the power loss, they inspected the intake path and exhaust for obstructions. They removed the muffler and found the car more responsive. Their conclusion is that the baffling may not be as efficient, resulting in a power loss.

2) The catalytic converters were overheating. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator that resolved the fuel pressure 60psi reading.

3) Tested the coil packs at idle and 3000rpms; swapped around the spark plugs and found an ignition issue; Replaced the spark plugs and retested - found smoother idle and rechecked the catalytic converters after a road test, both of which checked out ok.

I'm thinking I'll get a random orbital buffer to get it nice and shiny while removing some of the scratches on the hood once I finally bring it home.

Thanks again to all prime members for your input and assistance. It has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1697.jpg
    1697.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back