• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Restoring Trim "Back to Black"

In preparation for today's Cars & Coffee event in Ottawa, I finally addressed some faded trim sections (once you notice it, you can't un-notice :tongue:).

Keeping it simple, here's the product:
back_2_black.jpg

Application procedures are on the side of the bottle:
1. Apply to rag
2. Massage into trim
3. Buff
4. repeat as necessary

Here is the before:
Before.jpg
(trim between roof and engine bay glass)

Notice the trim has lost almost all of its original colour, and looks more white than black (trim was just cleaned).

Here is the after (two applications):
AfterWithTape.jpg

And without tape:
After.jpg

This is a super simple (cheap) DIY. Washing your car will only do so much, this stuff works great! I'm going to apply this product to all external rubber/trim bits I can find.

I would recommend using tape next to the trim (as shown). The product seems to leave a minor film (despite buffing), and ever-so-slightly appears. I'm sure this residue will disappear after the next wash.

Cheers!

Lucas

Awesome result! I used Chemical Guy's Black on Black on my e39 M5 trim and they look brand new. Much cheaper than actually buying brand new.

Never thought about using it on the NSX's trim. Will try it - thanks!

there also is a kit of back to black that includes a brush and some kind of cleaner,not sure how much better it works though,i had already checked out and noticed it for sale on the way out of pep boys the other day,anyone ever use the "kit"?

make sure to use the tape, it will leave a greasy film on paint

Love this product!

So does it restore completely or just a shiny oil coat to keep it shine? After a wash or two will it still look nice and shiny or back to a faded look and have to keep replying?

It stays black for some time but eventually will fade again. Just keep re-applying every once in awhile. Not too bad.

Back