• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Results of my Blackstone Oil Analysis.

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
I sent in a sample of oil from my last oil change at 176,000 miles to Blackstone Labs. Here are the results. I was particularly impressed by the Amsoil's properties listed at the bottom of the report which also indicates 0 anti-freeze or water in the oil. A copy of my email to them and their reply regarding the silicon issue is down below the image of the report.

oil-1-11-07.jpg

Email from me to Blackstone regarding the silicon issue:

Dear Blackstone Labs,

Thank you for the report in such a timely fashion. Regarding the silicon
readings and your comments, I failed to mention that I regularly use 3
ounces of Auto-Rx with every oil change. I ran two complete Auto-Rx cleaning
and rinsing cycles on this motor at 74,000 miles and at 130,000 miles. Since
then I use Auto-Rx in "maintenance mode" as recommended on their website by
adding those 3 ounces to the oil at each change. Could the silicon be from
this?

Regarding a possible filtration issue, I am currently using a K&N filter.
The last time it was cleaned and re-oiled was at 160,000 miles. I'm going to
switch back to the OEM paper filter and send in another sample for analysis
after 2 or 3 oil changes.

Regarding gaskets, the motor hasn't had any replaced in quite some time. The
only thing I have added was a B&M fuel pressure gauge which is mounted in the
place of one of the banjo bolts securing the fuel line to the fuel filter.
I'm pretty sure some sort of sealant was used on the threads. Could that
possibly be a source of silicon as well?

Thanks in advance,
Hugh

Blackstone's reply:

Hi Hugh,

It could be from either the pressure gauge you installed, or the additive.
As far as I know Auto Rx doesn't contain silicon, but I could be wrong. I
doubt it's a fault of the air filter, since wear looked fine. K&N filters
are good filters, and they should serve you well if you keep them in shape.
I think the most likely source is the silicone on the gauge. In that form,
the silicon is harmless, and you should find that it drops with future
samples.

Hope this helps. Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Good results! I did one a few years ago but the main statement of the report was: Do it again in 6 months. IMO they just live on my doubts if the engine may have a problem. For the certainty that there is no excessive wear you pay them for.

Just my .02 in all my experience working on honda motors. If you are taking your car to the dealership and they are following protocol then the most gasket sealer used would be thin layered around the corners or bends of such things like the valve cover gaskets or the oil pan. You must also consider that the dealership is using hondabond (which the common permatex clone is rtv gray).

I have caked hondabond on some gaskets before, when pulling them off I never notice where it separated and worked itself into the motor (just had the valve cover+oil pan off the integra I was selling to someone).

Now on a reversal, I have used lower grade silicone gasket sealants like red rtv and I have seen where it has separated and was just hanging out in the valve train area.

Hope my input helped

I just ordered the test kit. I plan to send in an oil analysis as well. Thanks Hugh for posting this.

Numbers look good. The main things I look for are:

Aluminum(Pistons, bearings, cases)
chromium(Rings)
copper(copper bushings, bearings)

Hugh, I have tested my oil for 2 years now .... I checked the last two lab sheets and both show silicone levels about 23, and they noted that this was good, and the air filtration was good. However my calcium is in the range of 2000-2100 and I have almost no lead 0-1; however iron has been in the range of 10. Current mileage is 45K miles. Use only Mobile 1. The car does see track time and oil is changed every 3K +/- miles.

However, they also noted two years ago when I probed further:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47798&highlight=blackstone+labs

that my 3.2L was the first NSX specific engine on which they have tested oil, and universal averages they share are my average of all samples! YMMV.

Back