• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Resume Services?

Well the inevitable finally happened, unfortunately before I was able to finish updating my resume, and to make a long story short, I need a good one asap.

I've looked at local services and some online services and amazed how expensive (imo) these things are.
I haven't found any under 100 bucks.
I was expecting something in the 50 dollar price range but have been shocked to see some in the 150 - 200 price range. :eek:

I believe quality does merit a price tag, but am I alone in thinking some of these prices are flat out ridiculous? A friend of mine said he got his through monster.com for 75 dollars over a year ago. I checked and that 75 buck deal isn't there anymore.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any experience with resume services and if you feel the price is/was justified.
How did it compare to a resume you could have done yourself?
What service would you reccomend?

Thanks

The best resumes I've had were the ones I've done myself.
I went to the library and found a book full of sample resumes. Knowing that recruiters only take a few seconds to skim through it, I picked the most visually appealing of them all and copied it.

Now my friends ask me to help them with theirs because my resume really stands out from the rest of them that were created with a template.

But start at the library and save yourself $100.

Joel said:
The best resumes I've had were the ones I've done myself.
I've always done my own resume's as well. Your resume should reflect you, not someone else's style. As an example my resume was adapted from 3 different formats.

Save your money - do your own. Start by researching the format(s) that are commonly used in your field of work/industry and go from there. Combine and eliminate features of resume formats that suite you. Look at your past jobs, analyze your skills and define your accomplishments in Problem - Action - Results (PAR) format. Employers want to see results not a list of tasks. This is what is commonly written on a resume: Worked as a Customer Service Representive for four years helping people return defective, broken and unwanted merchandise. Here is an example of a PAR: Developed a database to resolve tracking problems with returned goods that resulted in a 40% increase in customer satisfaction and retention.

Once you feel you have a good format and have listed your work experience in PAR format let your friends, co-workers and family critique it, then make any changes necessary.

Good luck.

Back