• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rev Limit

Opend my car up today, in 2nd gear looked at the tach, it was almost to 9000rpm. Why didn't the rev limiter come on? Just as a test, I try again, this time rev limit kicked in 1st but not in 2nd then again in 3rd, then had to back off. Has anybody had this happen? Maybe a glitch in the computer? Speed sensor?

No check engine light. It's running better than it ever has. Only thing that changed was the exhaust. I was going to reset the computer, but I think I'll wait and run it to the dealer and let them check it. I also have a data logger that I'm going to hook up from my Type R Integra. That should give me a read out so I can show Acura service. Mph @around 8900rpm was almost 80 Thats 10mph higher than it should be. 3 gear was 102 when the limiter hit. Wish I could have had a Vet beside me!

cuts1200 said:
Wish I could have had a Vet beside me!

If your engine was indeed over-revving you might have wished for a flat bed nistead of that Vette. Hopefully it's not serious but until it's checked out, take it easy on that throttle.

I did a search and could only find people having problems with the limiter cutting in too soon. Is your ECU stock or do you have a performance chip installed? I have the SoS Supertune ECU and my redline is now 8500 RPM.

cuts1200 said:
No check engine light. It's running better than it ever has. Only thing that changed was the exhaust. I was going to reset the computer, but I think I'll wait and run it to the dealer and let them check it. I also have a data logger that I'm going to hook up from my Type R Integra. That should give me a read out so I can show Acura service. Mph @around 8900rpm was almost 80 Thats 10mph higher than it should be. 3 gear was 102 when the limiter hit. Wish I could have had a Vet beside me!

Acutally you're good until 74MPH in 2nd; the limiter worked properly in 3rd if it kicked in at 102.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep if you hit 9,000 RPM once or twice. Don't do it again and get it checked out! I'd take it to Autowave personally. Sounds like an ECU issue. I have the Dali chip and I love that 8500 limit!! Keepin' it in VTEC all the time!

Hugh said:
If your engine was indeed over-revving you might have wished for a flat bed nistead of that Vette. Hopefully it's not serious but until it's checked out, take it easy on that throttle.

I did a search and could only find people having problems with the limiter cutting in too soon. Is your ECU stock or do you have a performance chip installed? I have the SoS Supertune ECU and my redline is now 8500 RPM.
I did a search too, thats why I posted this. I don't know the history on this car, but the carfax shows no reports.The dealer said I'm 2nd owner, that the car was first sold in LA and serviced at the regular maint. But I've always felt that the car at some point may have been modified. Not having ridden in any other 97 NSXs I have had nothing to judge it by. It's a Honda not a Vet! Vette sounds too Italian!

Last edited:
I have the SmartShift installed with a warning light at 7800 rpm. I could rev up to 8300 rpm but since the install I don't rev above 8000 rpm. :) Perfect mod.

Back to your problem: Let it check out at the dealer. Don't fix on sources before they've done a simple test at what rpm your rev limiter stays.

cuts1200 said:
I did a search too, thats why I posted this. I don't know the history on this car, but the carfax shows no reports.

Carfax will not ever show that kind of info. It only reports accidents in which the insurance companies and/or police are notified (maybe) and odometer discrepancies. I hope you haven't been using it to guage the overall history of vehicles you buy...:eek:

NSXGMS said:
Carfax will not ever show that kind of info. It only reports accidents in which the insurance companies and/or police are notified (maybe) and odometer discrepancies. I hope you haven't been using it to guage the overall history of vehicles you buy...:eek:
No, I stick my finger up the tail pipes and tell them to cough!:rolleyes:

Took the car in to the dealer,they couldn't find anything wrong. No codes. They reset the computer, everythings normal.
Just reviewed the data logger, Red line (Limiter) is 8600rpm, could Honda have programed a mod. for a few cars? Wouldn't the Acura service be able to tell if it was chipped?

Last edited:
Back