• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

Do you know anything about drivetrain layout at all? I know you tell us you are a special driver but are you an engineer of some kind?

the gtr is front mid engined. Even if it were front engined, it has a huge heavy gearbox at its rear end to help its weight distribution. That wouldn't help its polar moment, but as it happens the centre of mass of the engine is behind the front axle.

in the 911, the engine is behind the rear axle, the gearbox is at the back too. I'm not saying Porsche hasn't done an amazing job but they've had to fight physics all the way.

give them a clean sheet and what happens? Mid engine! Boxster, GT and 918.

The 911 is rear engined because it's unique in its class and always has been rear engined. It's also a winning formula and a huge sales success for a business who like making money!

yep, you're not telling me anything new here. in fact, the last part of your education course just echoed exactly what i am saying...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. my apologies for knowing what i am talking about... :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

p.s.s. my point wasn't about lap times. only that despite the 911's inherent design flaw of engine placement behind the axle, they are still magnificent handling cars on road or track. and as the lap times show, capable of incredible things and shouldn't be discounted...

They are very capable in spite of their flaws and that's what I can't get past. Knowing that a clean sheet design would never be rear engined just stops me from buying one.

polar movement. mass centralisation. and if you've driven a modern Porsche, you would also know that whatever magic voodoo they're employing in Germany,

I don't believe in magic/vodoo whatever. However, as an engineer I believe in polar moment of inertia calculations. Sorry English is not my native tongue; could someone kindly explain what "polar movement" is?

it's the migration of polar bears from one region to another. or the auto correction feature of farking stupid smart phones, you decide?

clearly you're a terrible engineer if you don't know this... :wink:

10/26/16

1477445408084image.png_zpsnzfyoefb.jpeg~original

1477445448258image_zpsw2owlim5.png~original

Could you post the text for the NSX? Bummer they didn't run the Trofeos for this test. Kind of odd, but I agree with the philosophy of testing the cars as they come from the factory and no NSXs come from factory with Trofeo Rs.

I think they lose a bit of credibility with the Aston ranking so well subjectively for track performance. But, as always, it is what it is. Nice that they recorded a sub-3 second 0-62 MPH run.

Sorry don't have complete article.....only these final results - forwarded to me by another 991 owner.

was looking at random videos last night.. saw motor trend did a 570s lightning lap and had the NSX times which seem about right but noticed how different the R8 V10 Plus was. anyone know why that is?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UK2Mw"><a href="//imgur.com/UK2Mw"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Could you post the text for the NSX? Bummer they didn't run the Trofeos for this test. Kind of odd, but I agree with the philosophy of testing the cars as they come from the factory and no NSXs come from factory with Trofeo Rs.

I think they lose a bit of credibility with the Aston ranking so well subjectively for track performance. But, as always, it is what it is. Nice that they recorded a sub-3 second 0-62 MPH run.

2.9 to 62 is quick. Wonder why it was so much lower than other times.

For a "purest" track-focused car, the 911R seems pretty near perfection (with GT4 being arguably even more balanced/focused, albeit slower). I'd love to have either one in my garage, although you famously can't buy a 911R in the zip code of MSRP. Same used to be true of GT4 (not sure about now).

In any case, I see the 991 Turbo (and 570GT) as closer competitors to the NSX.

"No question, the NSX is back."

All of the reviews have the same critique. The 3800+ lb curb weight needs to be addressed on an otherwise great package from Honda.

The subjective supercar eccentricity vs livability is always going to be debated.

"No question, the NSX is back."

All of the reviews have the same critique. The 3800+ lb curb weight needs to be addressed on an otherwise great package from Honda.
The subjective supercar eccentricity vs livability is always going to be debated.

I can understand the critique on the curb weight of the NSX, and yes, at 3800 lbs it IS heavy.

However, its not that cars like the GT-R, the 911 Turbo ( 1595 kg/3516 lbs) or the R8 V10+ (1635 kg/3604 lbs) or even a more mundane BMW M4 (1615 kg/3560 lbs) are such lightweight cars.
All these cars are around or more than 1600 kg (3527 lbs) and all have only a ICE engine to power them.
Considering that, the added weight the NSX from the complex hybrid drivertrain is actually not that much.

Just wished it would have given the car a little extra oomph in the power department.

Hopefully, the people at Honda read all these reviews with as much interest as we probably do, and realize that they should do something about it.
Shouldn't be too hard I think.

Of course, you can lighten these cars to the level of the 80ies or 90ies but in crash you're simply f*cked. As I don't want to sit in a fragile tin can of the 80ies or the 90ies when 'it' happens. Have a look at 'the worst crash tests' video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gph2nqDWk7A and try to imagine who these cars perform in a much more challanging 20 % offset crash test. They all got bigger and safer and this results in higher weight. I take that as given. +150 kg in a hybrid AWD is not bad at all. They compensate with power and it should be quite easy to push up the turbo. Not sure it's good for marketing to come out with a boost version so short after the release. An aftermarket tuner can make quiet a lot...

Of course, you can lighten these cars to the level of the 80ies or 90ies but in crash you're simply f*cked. As I don't want to sit in a fragile tin can of the 80ies or the 90ies when 'it' happens.

They all got bigger and safer and this results in higher weight. I take that as given. +150 kg in a hybrid AWD is not bad at all.

the cars MVM mentioned weights for are all AWD, even though they are still lighter than the NSX.

but weight has nothing to do with safety. the NSX isn't heavy because it's safer than a 570S or 488, it's heavy because of the batteries and drive train...

- - - Updated - - -

interestingly, that's the second review in-a-row i've read where they've noted lag with the turbos. shows how different reviews can be from one person to the next...

I don't know if he noticed turbo lag or is just a lazy writer (everyone knows turbos have turbo lag so let's just say it)

he he also mentioned being able to feel the torque vectoring. I have had my car 3 weeks and could not make that statement.

but weight has nothing to do with safety. the NSX isn't heavy because it's safer than a 570S or 488, it's heavy because of the batteries and drive train...
We didn't see a crash test of these cars. The Gen1 was far ahead of its competitors back then. I'm not saying Gen2 is safer but my argument is that ALL cars got safer and therefore heavier. The positive aspect is that adding another 10 kg are a smaller percentage when cars are heavy. The weight has very much to do with the price target (cost cutting).

I don't know if he noticed turbo lag or is just a lazy writer (everyone knows turbos have turbo lag so let's just say it)

he also mentioned being able to feel the torque vectoring. I have had my car 3 weeks and could not make that statement.

i think you're right, and that's he's probably imagining it?

the interesting comments to me, are that most testers make mention of the fact that there is no noticeable turbo lag due to the torque fill of the electric motors. from everything i've heard and read, the NSX seems to truly shine in this regard.

again, it just shows how different people notice different things...

i think you're right, and that's he's probably imagining it?

the interesting comments to me, are that most testers make mention of the fact that there is no noticeable turbo lag due to the torque fill of the electric motors. from everything i've heard and read, the NSX seems to truly shine in this regard.

again, it just shows how different people notice different things...

Yes. It would be interesting to see some actual dyno curves to understand the extent of the torque-fill. I guess as ChrisN mentioned in his review, the NSX is not in the same league as the Tesla's S of-the-mark launch, and so a drag off would be good to see.

Back