• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

i think once the novelty wears off, test drives will become available.

we're into our 4th allocation, so who knows what 2017 will bring.

but if you were completely biased against buying a vehicle to begin with, why bother to test drive it at all?

I haven't driven a 458, but my gut feeling tells me it would be a very different experience and probably feel much more exotic. The sounds alone would make the experience more exotic. My guess is they feel nothing alike.

you're absolutely right, the 430 feels like an old, outdated, slow piece of rubbish compared to the 458. the 458 is probably the perfect mid-engined Supercar experience...

undesired erections. That's about it.

yup, that about sums it up... :biggrin:

but if you were completely biased against buying a vehicle to begin with, why bother to test drive it at all?

you're absolutely right, the 430 feels like an old, outdated, slow piece of rubbish compared to the 458. the 458 is probably the perfect mid-engined Supercar experience...

yup, that about sums it up... :biggrin:

Interesting.

So in talking with Ted Klaus at NSXPO, he explained that during testing and bench marking, their entire staff started avoiding the 458 and all preferred the NSX as the car to drive whenever they had the choice.

i would imagine so... :wink:

LOL!!!

Well I know it sounds ridiculous but they did live with the 458 for over a year and had the goal of beating it in every way so unless these guys are a bunch of dullards I think we would all be surprised if they didn't succeed.

Let's see, the NSX is:

1. Faster
  2. Easier to drive and drift
  3. More Comfortable
  4. More Reliable
  5. More Economical
  6. Less Expensive

And the NSX has:

1. A Broader range of driving experiences
  2. Better sightlines
  3. 4wd and therefore better traction

In talking with Ted, he seemed to suggest that they got tired of the 458's frenetic-all-the-time running mode.

LOL!!!

Well I know it sounds ridiculous but they did live with the 458 for over a year and had the goal of beating it in every way so unless these guys are a bunch of dullards I think we would all be surprised if they didn't succeed.

Let's see, the NSX is:

1. Faster
  2. Easier to drive and drift
  3. More Comfortable
  4. More Reliable
  5. More Economical
  6. Less Expensive

And the NSX has:

1. A Broader range of driving experiences
  2. Better sightlines
  3. 4wd and therefore better traction

In talking with Ted, he seemed to suggest that they got tired of the 458's frenetic-all-the-time running mode.

that's a lot of points, i don't personally know if they're all correct as many are subjective.

but, one would certainly hope Acura succeeded. the 458 is an 8 year old car...

that's a lot of points, i don't personally know if they're all correct as many are subjective.

but, one would certainly hope Acura succeeded. the 458 is an 8 year old car...

Well yes some points are subjective but since neither you or I have yet to drive it, we will have to defer to the journalists who have driven it.

And of course its 8 years old. But I believe that is another matter altogether and honestly feels like a dig on Honda.

To recap, we were discussing how great the 458 is (which I am not disputing) and I asserted that the NSX is even better. Its really that simple. I do, however, appreciate the fact that you are not disputing this assertion. :biggrin:

To recap, we were discussing how great the 458 is (which I am not disputing) and I asserted that the NSX is even better. Its really that simple. I do, however, appreciate the fact that you are not disputing this assertion. :biggrin:

well, i suppose i could?

but N Spec just did it for me... :biggrin:

Yes, the 488 leapfrogged over the new NSX as expected so in a few years Honda needs to respond promptly.

depends. it seems the average optioned NSX at over $200,000 (from magazine tests?) is only $40,000 away from a base 488...

p.s. not that you're getting a 488 for anything close to base.

I think the real world price difference between a new NSX vs a used 488 is at least $100K in the current market.

Here is a mildly specked used one at just under $300K (and that is the cheapest one out there)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/679320312/overview/

Remember, my well specked car was $173,300. The CF stuff is nice but does nothing to improve performance.

If we are talking about ordering a new 488 with their option pricing, most of those cars will hit $320K or better.

depends. it seems the average optioned NSX at over $200,000 (from magazine tests?) is only $40,000 away from a base 488...

p.s. not that you're getting a 488 for anything close to base.

average optioned NSX should be less than 200k.
130r white
CF interior package
power seats with alcantara
alcantara headliner
tech package
Ceramics
No mark up.
$177k

The press cars have all the exterior CF bits and the Andaro paint.

well, i suppose i could?

but N Spec just did it for me... :biggrin:

So N Spec mentions the 488 and so that means that he is asserting that the 458 is better than the NSX?

This is starting to feel like a moving target. lol

Just admit it FA, the new NSX is better than your darling the 458. Its OK. We won't think you are selling out or anything. LOL And we promise we won't post anything on Ferrari Chat. :wink:

Last edited:
Performance-wise and overall, the new NSX is better than the 458, but that 9000 rpm engine with the beautiful noise and ~400 lbs lighter curb weight are rather desirable also...

Is it worth the much higher price tag? I'm not sure, because I can't afford either at the moment haha.

Performance-wise and overall, the new NSX is better than the 458, but that 9000 rpm engine with the beautiful noise and ~400 lbs lighter curb weight are rather desirable also...
And although the NSX is marketed as daily drivable, it doesn't have
a suspension lift option (available on the 458 for less than what Acura
wants for a carbon fiber roof). And the 458 has more trunk space.

And although the NSX is marketed as daily drivable, it doesn't have
a suspension lift option (available on the 458 for less than what Acura
wants for a carbon fiber roof). And the 458 has more trunk space.

I wish it had lift option, but, to be honest, I have been pleasantly surprised with its clearance. Not bad at all (compared to other sports cars).

Ditto on the trunk space. With soft-sided bags, there is a fair bit of space back there. What's not clear from pics is that there is quite a bit of space to the left and right of trunk opening (goes all the way to the body panels. Definitely enough for a weekend trip for two.

So N Spec mentions the 488 and so that means that he is asserting that the 458 is better than the NSX?

This is starting to feel like a moving target. lol

Just admit it FA, the new NSX is better than your darling the 458. Its OK. We won't think you are selling out or anything. LOL And we promise we won't post anything on Ferrari Chat. :wink:

you're very funny. mate, i don't care less. the 458 is not my car. i do not own one, i didn't develop it, and i am not currently a Ferrari employee.

it's just a magical machine with a gem of a naturally aspirated 9,000 rpm engine, in as close to a perfect chassis as you'll ever get in a street car.

can't say i've ever heard anyone be quite as enamored with the new NSX as i have with the 458. i don't recall any excuses being made on behalf of the Italian either. nor do i care about that. take the exact same reasons given in line one with the Ferrari, and transfer them over to the Acura please.

currently, the McLaren 570S is the shit when it comes to the peak of unparalleled driving exhilaration in a street car (it's not faster than a 675LT, but it is funner). that's my opinion. but again, i don't give a crap. car companies aren't curing cancer, they're just building cars.

you guys gotta stop being so uptight if someone doesn't think the NSX is the best thing since sliced bread...

that 9000 rpm engine with the beautiful noise and ~400 lbs lighter curb weight are rather desirable also...

try the Speciale some time. lighter, more power, more noise... :wink:

More of a comparison of two makers' approaches to hybrid capabilities.

There will be tons on comparos.

The key to this one is the guy just understands the cars are intended to be a blast.

I finally took mine in for a wash and wax (outdated term since they use a polymer coating).

The owner hadn't seen one before and was really impressed.

Kind of interesting how under the radar the car is to even auto experts (he had a matte white Aventador spyder out front that he just finished up).

Simon's shine shop is the top wash and detailer in Chicago and he gets all kinds of stuff rolling in.

He said it looks way better than the R8s he sees.

Back