• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Revisited Gen1 NSX vs R8 -- Long-Term Value

Bumping an old but interesting thread....

First, I'm a die hard NSX fan and have had three of them over the last 17 years.....They are GREAT cars, BUT.....

The value has jumped the shark imo on some of these low mile NSX's..... they are no longer a drivers car, they are an investment that will never be driven in hopes of gaining more value with time. There is no fun in that imo.

Even the mid milers are just not worth it when someone is asking $65k for a 97 with like 50K miles when you look at what you can get these days for that price.

Nicely used R8 with less miles
Low mile 981 Cayman GTS
Stripper model brand new C8
Etc...

There is no shame that all of those cars would absolutely kill an NA1/2 NSX on just about ever level, since they are all decades newer in tech and design and I would rather have any of them over any NA1/NA2 NSX in pure driving experience.

People asking more for their 02-05 then what a lightly used NC1 is going for is absolutely nuts to me...and I'm a HUGE fan of the original

Right now $65K is the sweet spot for a 08-10 R8 right now which is the one I would be shopping for if I had $65k burning a hole in my pocket.

The price reflects the desire for the driving experience that the old nsx offers....and for the demographic that was pleasuring themselves whilst gazing at the nsx poster in their bedroom....that's how the car market works.....

The price reflects the desire for the driving experience that the old nsx offers....and for the demographic that was pleasuring themselves whilst gazing at the nsx poster in their bedroom....that's how the car market works.....

Pretty much sums it up.

That's the sad thing..... they've become like old Ferrari's where god forbid they have more then 20k miles on them. 90% of those low mile NSX's will never be driven like they were intended to be.

We used to have 5 or 6 drives a year with the SoCal group...now there is maybe one or two drives at most.:frown: everybody just wants to hang out in a parking lot and talk about driving these days.:confused:

Btw, the market is screeching to a halt it seems as most listings on Cargurus have been on there for months....even the sub $50k deals. Some of the listings have been on there for over a year....even the ones here on Prime seem to sit there there for months unless it is priced right, but most see the asking prices elsewhere and think that is the market, but it's not. Only the low mile minty ones are getting the occasional bidding war on BaT and going for crazy prices. Most of the people asking over $100k for there 02-05 have been on those sites for over a year.

Last edited:
part of the problem now is covid...but also the dwindling supply of parts...and qualified techs to do the work, many owners that are not comfortable doing the work.So the cars are sitting more.

part of the problem now is covid...but also the dwindling supply of parts...and qualified techs to do the work, many owners that are not comfortable doing the work.So the cars are sitting more.
This is where I'd draw the line (parts and technicians). I try to limit the driving that I do with my car to "interesting" drives (i.e. non-local drives, since driving around Chicago is boring and the roads are choked with traffic), so it's been driven less. Fortunately I know some good technicians but when parts availability becomes overly problematic I'll sell my car. I didn't buy it just to look at it.

Sounds possibly anecdotal but I might be wrong

This is where I'd draw the line (parts and technicians). I try to limit the driving that I do with my car to "interesting" drives (i.e. non-local drives, since driving around Chicago is boring and the roads are choked with traffic), so it's been driven less. Fortunately I know some good technicians but when parts availability becomes overly problematic I'll sell my car. I didn't buy it just to look at it.

After following the epic story of the repair of Zanardi #34 I am now paranoid to drive mine for fear Granny will bump in to it causing minor damage which would result in it being totalled by the insurance company due to the NLA status of body parts. Unfortunately I think this situation will not bode well for the future collectibility of our cars or the value of them.

Last edited:
Joe retiring from nsx repair is also a hit...no pun intended....:wink:

simmer down men.....:biggrin:

Since I started this thread 4yrs ago why don't I lob in a question...

Take a 90+k mile 1991 NSX well maintained for $40k give or take

Which car at that price point, that will always be a driver, is a better choice?

Sent from my TAH-N29m using Tapatalk

Since I started this thread 4yrs ago why don't I lob in a question...

Take a 90+k mile 1991 NSX well maintained for $40k give or take

Which car at that price point, that will always be a driver, is a better choice?

Compared to what, an R8 V8 with similar miles, also worth around $40k? The NSX. Imagine trying to sell the R8 with over 100k miles

That's my point there is no comparable car in the $40k range worth owning to really drive than the NA1 NSX...

Well.....like I said earlier, I'm a NSX diehard who has owned three of them over the years ,but I'm not biased enough to know there are plenty of cars out there in the $40K range that will eat its lunch on a track, off the line, on a twisty road and in the tech dept, my current car included. Unfortunately R8's aren't in the $40K range yet they start around $60K on up at the moment, but I'd love to have one some day.

Don't get me wrong, I've never had a better car than my NSX's when I always sold them for more than I bought them for after enjoying them each for 3-5 years(not many cars can do that) and it is an icon that the kids love, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking these newer cars aren't better all around actual cars in just about every aspect other than nostalgia and cool factor....There is no better car from the early 90's on the road right now better than the NSX though...I will say that. I will probably have another one someday :)

Last edited:
Well.....like I said earlier, I'm a NSX diehard who has owned three of them over the years ,but I'm not biased enough to know there are plenty of cars out there in the $40K range that will eat its lunch on a track, off the line, on a twisty road and in the tech dept, my current car included. Unfortunately R8's aren't in the $40K range yet they start around $60K on up at the moment, but I'd love to have one some day.

Don't get me wrong, I've never had a better car than my NSX's when I always sold them for more than I bought them for after enjoying them each for 3-5 years(not many cars can do that) and it is an icon that the kids love, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking these newer cars aren't better all around actual cars in just about every aspect other than nostalgia and cool factor....There is no better car from the early 90's on the road right now better than the NSX though...I will say that. I will probably have another one someday :)
Out of curiosity which cars sell for $40k that have the same ownership experience (rarity, coolness, reliability and appreciation) as the NSX AND will eat its lunch on the track?

Out of curiosity which cars sell for $40k that have the same ownership experience (rarity, coolness, reliability and appreciation) as the NSX AND will eat its lunch on the track?

Like I said , it's the best car form the 90's....there is nothing from the 90's in those categories imo....although I wish I would have bought an early 90's 911 turbo back when they were cheap...those things have gone through the roof price wise.

I'm a huge NSX fan obviously, just not a fan boy......there are plenty of cars you can get these days In the $40's that will destroy an NA1/NA2 on any track...(just look up the ring lap times) but back in the 90's it was hard to beat. I miss mine, but having fun in the new toy for sure...I will probably get another NA1/NA2 someday if the price is right.

Last edited:
Like I said , it's the best car form the 90's....there is nothing from the 90's in those categories imo....although I wish I would have bought an early 90's 911 turbo back when they were cheap...those things have gone through the roof price wise.

I'm a huge NSX fan obviously, just not a fan boy......there are plenty of cars you can get these days In the $40's that will destroy an NA1/NA2 on any track...(just look up the ring lap times) but back in the 90's it was hard to beat. I miss mine, but having fun in the new toy for sure...I will probably get another NA1/NA2 someday if the price is right.
Agreed sounds like there is no other car unless you are looking at track times only versus total ownership experience [emoji6]

Agreed sounds like there is no other car unless you are looking at track times only versus total ownership experience [emoji6]

You keep missing the point and moving the goal post.... it's not about just the track times, the track times just point out the performance, to some people that is important in total ownership experience to some it's not....I never bought any of my NSX's because they were the fastest cars, but to me they were the coolest car I could afford and always wanted one, but I guess I just got bored and wanted something newer, faster and better handling after having three of them over the years... and yes, I'd rather have an R8 over a NA1/NA2 NSX

Sorry, we don’t all have to like or value the same things .... there is no right or wrong answer

Last edited:
Tech will always progress. Heck, a Honda Civic Type R will outrun an NSX easily, but that's not the appeal of these machines. Like my 87 911 Turbo, the ownership experience is part of the charm of these cars. I have a track car that I beat on and costs nothing to run. The NSX is for when I'm in the mood for driving an NSX. The market acknowledges that which is why they're keeping their value. The ones sitting in the market too long are not well priced, and that will change if the seller realizes that. There's always a price to sell and a price for "I'm not really willing to sell" IMHO :)

That's my point there is no comparable car in the $40k range worth owning to really drive than the NA1 NSX...

If all you can offer, for the sake of discussion, are just intangibles, then one may argue until kingdom comes. What was the question again?
Steve

Lol this is like Jeopardy:biggrin:

I would be a bit concern with maintenance for a $60k R8..... I too like the current R8's, but wouldn't buy one in the bottom of the price range....

as far as comparing performance with an 30 yo car to the modern ones is totally irrelevant IMO....

Unfortunately R8's aren't in the $40K range yet they start around $60K on up at the moment, but I'd love to have one some day.

Back