• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ring & Pinion 4.235 v. 4.55

Just thought I'd see if I could get some last minute help. Going to put short gears in next week and don't know which ring & pinion to go with. Would like to hear the good, bad, and ugly from those who have tried one or preferable both. Already read the FAQ section, and am just looking for more feedback. For reference the car already has the BBSC system if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I've got the 4.55 and shorties.Personaly I'm not completly happy with this setup.If your interrested in 0-110mph this is the setup,but if you also like highspeed ^ 120mph touring then I would rethink.For us NA motor folk the car dos'nt have the umph to continue useful acceleration from 4th-5th gear.Highway cruising is a bit frantic with revs 4k-5k in 5th.I'm thinking about the 4.23 at next clutch redu.At short tracks like limerock its ok, long tracks such as road america and pocono-long course,not so good.FWIW.With the supercharger however these shortcomings may be negated.?

I've driven NSXs with both setups and here's my take on the two.

With the Comptech 4.55 and shorty gears, the acceleration is very quick. On the freeway, the engine turns around 3600rpm at 70 in 5th. Also, this R&P is quite noisy and quiets down only when you lift. If you do a lot of freeway driving, it may start getting to you. Around town, it's not noisy at all. It goes for around $1800.

With the 4.23 and shorty gears, I found the acceleration to be close to the 4.55 but without the noise. I like the fact that it's a Honda OEM part. Engine turns around 3300rpm at 70 in 5th. It goes for around $950.

My choice between the two is the 4.23 for quietness and OEM part. If 0-60 is all that's important to you, you can't go wrong with the 4.55. Mated with a supercharger, the 4.55 is insanely fast.

Vytas

Originally posted by emvanderpol:
Just thought I'd see if I could get some last minute help.

I had the 4.23 in my 93 with short gears. I've now got the 4.55 in the Zanardi. Both cars are NA and both set ups are *wonderful*.

The older Comptech 4.55s suffered from gear whine. The newer ones are very quiet so that's no longer an issue.

If your the kind of person that worries about rpms at cruising speed then you shouldn't consider either set up. I personally love the music of the gears at higher revs.

You just need to decide how radical you want to go. Even though I opted for the 4.23 with the 5 sp short gears, the 4.55 would have been even more exciting. But in your configuration with forced induction, be aware that with the 4.55, things will start happening *really* fast.....especially considering the current power curve of the Basch setup.

These are nice problems to have.....

------------------
John Anderson
99 Zanardi #45

Just curious if anyone has tried the short gears with the stock 4.06 R&P..? If so, what are your impressions of this setup?

According to the FAQ, it seems that this setup is referred to as the Japanese gearset, and then if you add the 4.23 R&P to it you've got the original Type R gearset.

Since the short gears only include a different 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, you'd still have your original 5th gear and 4.06 R&P with this so-called Japanese gearset. I'm wondering if this might be an option worth considering for those who are concerned with RPMs at highway cruising speeds...

The 4.23 will improve your acceleration and I recommend it. The engine will rev about 300rpm higher at cruising speed which isn't that noticeable.

Vytas

Back