• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIP Ayrton Senna

24 years ago today I had missed the San Marino GP but had taped it and had planned to watch it on my VCR later that evening. Before I could see it my dad called me and told me that "my guy" had been killed on the track. My father was a cursory viewer of F1 at best so i really didn't know what to make of his comment. My thought was that he was confused and was thinking of the death of Roland Ratzenberger the day before during qualifying. No way Ayrton Senna died. That was impossible.

Simply the best. A driver's drive through and through. Although he didn't win as many titles as Prost or Schumacher, he will always be my number 1. I am a fan of Vettel and my profound commonality with Hamilton is OUR mutual love for Senna....there will never be anyone like him again. May your GOD bless your soul Ayrton......

24 years ago today I had missed the San Marino GP but had taped it and had planned to watch it on my VCR later that evening. Before I could see it my dad called me and told me that "my guy" had been killed on the track. My father was a cursory viewer of F1 at best so i really didn't know what to make of his comment. My thought was that he was confused and was thinking of the death of Roland Ratzenberger the day before during qualifying. No way Ayrton Senna died. That was impossible.

I also missed the race 24 years ago, as it was my youngest daughter's 5th birthday, and we were drove to my folks place to celebrate her big day. When we got there my Dad (who rarely followed F1) told me a driver died in the race. I also thought he was referring to Ratzenberger the day before. He told me it was Senna. Just typing this brings back how I felt that day. I had the race taped too, but could never bring myself to watch it.

Yeah, Ayrton was special and I remember too when i was told of his death by my brother......In those days CBC would broadcast the event at some weird time in the AM, so I watched it on the VCR.

Bram

I was a fan of F1 and particularly Senna back then and watched in horror as he died on live TV on a helicopter cutaway. It still saddens me to think about that terrible day. He was a real person with incredible skills and a true humanitarian. The public turn out in Brazil for his funeral was indescribable.
On a happier note, in early 1993, when my wife was pregnant, I had proposed naming our soon to be born son Ayrton or Nigel, but my wife kinda vetoed that.
Garrett turned 25 years old in March!
AJ

Rest in Peace Ayrton.

Senna's NSX.jpg

Back