• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rotor replacement question

So my question is, can you just replace the rotors and keep the old pad? Reason I ask is becuase my car came with cheap rotors which rust everytime I wash it. My pads have plently of life left. Thanks

So my question is, can you just replace the rotors and keep the old pad? Reason I ask is becuase my car came with cheap rotors which rust everytime I wash it. My pads have plently of life left. Thanks

I have expensive rotors (2 piece Racing Brake) and they rust everytime I wash it. Drive down the block and hit the brakes once and the rust disappears!
That should not be a reason to replace your brake rotors.

BUT to answer your question, yes, you can replace rotors and keep the old pads. Just be sure to do the proper "bedding" procedure after you install them.

Last edited:
Replacing the rotor only could cause your new rotor to wear imperfectly because the pads may not have a perfect surface after being used on the old rotor. I always replace both.

Replacing the rotor only could cause your new rotor to wear imperfectly because the pads may not have a perfect surface after being used on the old rotor. I always replace both.

I don't think it'll matter. Remember the rotor is spinning, while the pad stays stationary. Eventually the pad will even itself out. Also, pad shape and size does not determine braking force. It is the friction coefficient of the pad material that is the factor.

I don't think it'll matter. Remember the rotor is spinning, while the pad stays stationary. Eventually the pad will even itself out. Also, pad shape and size does not determine braking force. It is the friction coefficient of the pad material that is the factor.

But if the old rotor and pad wore together from when they were installed, they would have matching grooves from wearing imperfectly as all things do. Then the pads would have some areas that were higher and lower than others (even if microscopically) when used with the new rotors, which should be perfectly smooth. Because of the imperfections on the surface of the pad from wear, you would not have an optimal contact area.

Though, if the pads are near new, it probably wouldn't matter.

I just feel that you would have either noise or a loss of braking performance mixing the new and the old. But I have never done it, so I don't know for sure.

I have expensive rotors (2 piece Racing Brake) and they rust everytime I wash it. Drive down the block and hit the brakes once and the rust disappears!
That should not be a reason to replace your brake rotors.

BUT to answer your question, yes, you can replace rotors and keep the old pads. Just be sure to do the proper "bedding" procedure after you install them.
iagree.gif

iagree.gif

And it doesn't matter if the surface is not precisely flat and smooth. The two surfaces - pad and rotor - will wear down soon enough, so they mate perfectly and apply friction across the entire swept area.

Back