• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RP MOTORSPORTS/Tom Bell = BUYER BEWARE

I never meant a "fight" by saying see you at NSXPO.

I do not see Mike as the type that is looking for a "fight" at NXSPO. I believe him to be too much of a gentleman for that (although I bet he can carry an NSX on his back). That is not his style, nor intention.

I am guessing he is only stating that he will be there, probably even introduce himself, in a professional manner, and if still appropriate, discuss things further in person.

NSXSOON said:
Tom,
If you stopped joking, do your job and answer customers as fast as you respond to this thread this thread wouldn't even exist!

"Lighten up Francis"
hulka.jpg

Armando

I am not going to take a side one way or another here, but I have had email conversations with Tom back and forth about wheels and tires, and he seems very honest and up front.

Have you ever done a search on Prime with the word DALI? Give that a try and see what you find. From what I have seen here about that fine gentleman, I would not trust that guy with $1 of my money for a damn hamburger. If Tom was out to scam money he could come on here and "sell" 100 sets of wheels for right around cost so people would think they were getting a great deal and run with all their deposit money never to be seen again.

I bought a set of Work wheels (not from Tom) that were promised to me in 8 weeks. Well..... I am now going on week 11 and still have no word. Stop crying.

My take on all this is if you want custom wheels from across the pond, they will take some time. If you want your wheels NOW go to Pep Boys and get a damn set off the shelf!

I can't help you if he didn't answer all your emails, that is a different story, but this guy really has no control over the production of your wheels. If he was manufacturing them, then yes, you would have something to beef about if he told you a month and it has been three.

NSXSOON. You took the action to buy wheels at the best price. You were not prepared to pay the price for instock product from a vendor or for air freight for the product. You made the decision to wait for the product.

Why are you being such an a hole about this when you have got your product without problems.

rcove said:
NSXSOON. You took the action to buy wheels at the best price. You were not prepared to pay the price for instock product from a vendor or for air freight for the product. You made the decision to wait for the product.

Why are you being such an a hole about this when you have got your product without problems.

common guys. let's come back down to earth.

The main issue on this thread is all about 'customer service'.

Regardless of what you paid for the products, as customers, we expect certain level of professionalism. I am sure that Mike (nsxsoon) would not have ordered the wheels if he knew the stress he had to endure. No saving is worth that!

The first time I purchased tires from Tom, they were at my door in 2 days. And the price was much better than TireRack.com. However, the next two times I tried to buy tires, I could not get him to return my calls. I ended up going someplace else and probably paid too much. I tried to send you some more business Tom, but I can't make you call me back. You do have great prices!!

If I got 150 e-mails in a 3 month period regarding anything, I would probably block the sender and refund the money. I mean, life is not hanging in the balance for a set of wheels, right? Take the advice of many and order car parts using a credit card and if you ever have any concerns, cancel the deposit and shop elsewhere. Life is way to short to self-induce this level of drama over some wheels.....Sorry for both of your experiences, really.

nis350 said:
common guys. let's come back down to earth.

The main issue on this thread is all about 'customer service'.

Regardless of what you paid for the products, as customers, we expect certain level of professionalism. I am sure that Mike (nsxsoon) would not have ordered the wheels if he knew the stress he had to endure. No saving is worth that!

That is exactly right. Just like in a marriage, communication is the key. Even if the person hearing the bad news doesn't like it, they are at least hearing something.
Go to a restaurant and order some food. The waitress walks by you 25 times and you keep waiting and waiting for you food but it never arrives. You keep trying to get her attention but she doesn't even give you a glance. Finally your food arrives and it is delicious. You like what you got but hate that you had to wait for it. It wouldn't have been so bad had she come by and said the kitchen was backed up or they couldn't get it cooked just the was you wanted it. But you being kept in dark was soooooo aggravating.
Would you tell others of your experience at that eating place? If so, would you then want to go and eat their for yourself?

Just my 2 cents...

Here's the catch 22. What do you tell the buyer, if the buyer doesn't believe the seller that there is no new news on the wheels (just like every single day that has passed in the last 3 or 4 months), that the distributor hasn't received word on the shipping from Japan, that the container is still en route etc.? That's pretty typical of stuff like Volks, Work, SSR (not the TireRack SSRs) Fabulous or any of those other brands that are special ordered from Japan. So the buyer keeps calling or emailing and keeps thinking that he's getting poor customer service, that he's getting the run around or being lied to but I think sometimes the buyer has to understand that it isn't that easy to tell the truth... "I have no additional news on those (fill in the product) from (fill in the country)". In short, you can tell the truth and the buyer won't believe it no matter who you may be and it only gets worse as the manufacturer lags.
In the end, it's good to hear that another set of wheels were delivered, another NSX pimped out. I don't believe this post should have been a "BUYER BEWARE" (nothing against the buyer). I can understand how pissed off the buyer may have been but then again, the product arrived, the price was probably great and though the experience may have been not too plesant, noteing (not slamming) that should have been good enough.

My 2 cents.

Sandman said:
Just my 2 cents...

What do you tell the buyer, if the buyer doesn't believe the seller that there is no new news on the wheels.

Was thinking the same, but maybe this is what Mike (nsxsoon) just needed from Tom "no new news from Mackin" period, right Mike ?? But since this didn't happened, nobody will know what the outcome might had been. Not even Mike b/c nobody can turn back time.

Anyways, i feel Tom is getting the message.

AC

NSX PTY said:
Was thinking the same, but maybe this is what Mike (nsxsoon) just needed from Tom "no new news from Mackin" period, right Mike ?? But since this didn't happened, nobody will know what the outcome might had been. Not even Mike b/c nobody can turn back time.

Anyways, i feel Tom is getting the message.

AC

Right on AC!

This post is not to bash Tom... just data points.

I ordered a set of Volk GT-C's from Tom late this winter; late Feb, early Mar... so far back I can't even remember. I didn't get them until September (late, September, maybe early October). Along the way, I got very little proactive feedback from Tom, if at all. In fact I think I prompted him for all the info I ever received. Replies were mostly sent and sometimes ignored but I know about Volk and their reputation for a long wait.

The wheels he recommended, however, are perfectly offsetted (sp?). I can go full lock on the steering and there's no rub and I'm pretty dang low on my coilovers. Rears come right out to the fender just like I asked for. There's no doubt he knows how to size wheels for our cars. I hear of so many others who have to run spacers or rub when turning.

Would I do business with him again? Probaby not. I prefer to be informed and expect more customer service, if only even to hear "nothing new to report, but I'm still in business and your order is still active and you're not forgotten" or something similar every week or ten days.

Tom, I don't think anyone is questioning your honesty or intent. But having spent half my working career in the customer service business, I know the value of regular updates to customers who are waiting for something.

J

Based on what i've read. I wouldnt buy from Tom.

If you pay, pay anything even a deposit, inform me of where the shipment is. If Im sending 2 emails a day and im not getting any response for weeks or months than i think im getting scammed PERIOD. forget being professional, you have my money and you're not responding, id have to find you and physically get my money back. if it was bothering you getting those emails, return the deposit. dont ignore the guy.

Yes, I understand it takes months to get custom wheels. I waited forever for my HREs but i was always informed.

the world is not perfect. we all know that. but being left out in the dark would bring the ghetto in me especially if YOU had my money. even after i got my wheels, i would still like to tell you how i feel in person. thats not saying i would fight. thats just saying id come face to face and tell you how i thought you disrespected me.

erick

Ok, I am currently in the process of ordering with Tom so I'll report exactly what I go through as unbiased as I can so you can formulate your own opinions.

I initially emailed him a bunch of questions prior to ordering my wheels. He was very responsive at this point and put up with a lot of questions and back and forth from me. Kudos to his help and patience. :smile:

When I finally ordered from him, he clearly explained to me that the wheels were in stock but that the tires were not. He indicated to me there would be a delay, which I said was ok because I'm in no hurry. :smile:

I proceeded to send him a check and notify him via email, in which he promptly replied "I will check on the tires when I deposit the check, and wire them the money so the wheels are considered sold. " This was on 10/10. :smile:

I never heard back from him, nor was given a status update on my wheels. :frown: I sent a follow up email politely asking him if he had received my check on 10/27 but have not gotten a response. Which isn't a big deal except for the fact that Prime indicated that he logged on as recently as of today. I would think his priority is to get back to his customers before jumping on Prime. The only thing I worry about is that if he hasn't gotten the check (which is pretty sizable), I don't want to miss the chance to stop payment in case someone else is out there trying to cash it. I believe I am entitiled to at least that courtesy. :frown:

I haven't formulated an opinion of the situation yet. It is still too early and premature to state a firm position on the situation. He has been responsive, and he's been unresponsive. We'll see how this all plays out in the end and I'll keep you posted in the meantime. If he pulls through, I'll be singing his praises. If he doesn't, I definitely voice myself. And if it falls somewhere in-between, I'll try to be as honest and unbiased as I can and let you guys figure out which way to go with it.

I wish I'd found this thread before I purchased from RP-MOTORSPORT. You guys are right. This guy sucks after he takes your money. It was 12 days late from the original ETA but that was fine. All I wanted was a status of my order. When he does finally answers you, it's not even the answer you wanted. "It will be drop ship to your address when it is built" No sh**! I wanted him to find out the time frame. Then he gives you the contact info to the manufacturer. Can you believe that?? He made a profit from me and expects me to do the leg work. What kind of customer service is that? When I finally got hold of Billy Boat Performance Exhaust, I found out that it was ordered to ship to a wrong person and address! I had to contact the original distributor (Proefficient Distributor) who placed the order to settle the mistake. All this while RP Motorsport did not care to respond to my PM however he had the audacity to post on other threads! I finally got my headers and exhaust today but no thanks to RP-MOTORSPORT. If it walks like duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Beware of RP-MOTORSPORT my friends. :mad:

I just finished a purchase of a Borla Exhaust for my E46 M3 through Tom and RP Motorsports.

The item arrived when promised. I was informed about the shipping by Tom without prompting. It was as described, and at a price lower than any other I could find.

I would order from Tom again.

Disclaimer-I am local, and I know Tom from the NSX community.

YMMV.

KoolinNSX said:
I wish I'd found this thread before I purchased from RP-MOTORSPORT. You guys are right. This guy sucks after he takes your money. It was 12 days late from the original ETA but that was fine. All I wanted was a status of my order. When he does finally answers you, it's not even the answer you wanted. "It will be drop ship to your address when it is built" No sh**! I wanted him to find out the time frame. Then he gives you the contact info to the manufacturer. Can you believe that?? He made a profit from me and expects me to do the leg work. What kind of customer service is that? When I finally got hold of Billy Boat Performance Exhaust, I found out that it was ordered to ship to a wrong person and address! I had to contact the original distributor (Proefficient Distributor) who placed the order to settle the mistake. All this while RP Motorsport did not care to respond to my PM however he had the audacity to post on other threads! I finally got my headers and exhaust today but no thanks to RP-MOTORSPORT. If it walks like duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Beware of RP-MOTORSPORT my friends. :mad:

I never knew about any address error. The reason that I give people B&B's #' is for people who need a daily progress report. Your exhaust was ordered the day I was paid, and it is then put into B&B's order file, to be released to the production staff. I have ABSOLUTELY no info as to where on the line your exhaust sits. I told you up front, that chances are that it will be built to order. (which I told you once I found out that was the case) I could call B&B daily and get no more info than what I just stated above. That was not good enough for you, so I gave you their # so you could get the same info as I gave you "built to order with no concrete ETA"

PS the Borla exhaust above for the E46 M3 was sold, ordered, and shipped through the EXACT process as yours.

Last edited:
I purchased my H&R spacers and Stoptech BBK from Tom at RP Motorsports. I got what I ordered on time and at an excellent price.
I'd order again from Tom.
and I'm from Sydney Australia.

Nico

Could somebody change the title of this thread or delete it/lock it.

I am not goign to take sides but all this crying about nothing is a bunch of BS.

No, I have not bought anything from Tom, but I have seen many posts where he has been very helpful to people and he is contributing to the NSX Community instead of trying to tear it apart.

I personally give him a lot of credit just for sticking in there, when he has to deal with babysitting unrealistic people who live in a perfect world.

If you want cheap parts quick go to Auto zone otherwise, start being reasonable/ Patient.

This is one of the reaons I got out of Retail, thousands of satisfied customers, then a few cry babies that want all your time for free and even after you bend over backwards to try to make them happy they still cry.

Go luck Tom

I will be ordering some more wheels soon and I will give you a call/email.

Tom, you should come up with a form letter for issues such as the one brought up today. You could have one tailored to how each particular vendor works and if the customer has an issue, have their number in there with which they can call and explain why they will get the same response as if you called yourself. Also, maybe a disclaimer to those buying that they should expect minimal communication for the great price they are getting. I always explain to my customers that they have to think about what I bring to the table if they want to haggle on price. It means they get no service and none of my expertise to solve their problems, if you want those then you have to be willing to pay for it. I just had someone the other day tell me he was going to start buying his product through his son who's an Amway distributor, then the following Monday he called me to ask if I could get his ice melter out to him same day. I said I couldn't make it b/c I was busy, but truth is, he stopped putting a majority of his money in my pocket, therefore I wasn't going to bend over backward to service him like my other accounts. 90% of the time people pay a bit more for a something when they don't need service, but that other 10% of the time when they do need it the vendor will be there to take care of them b/c they took care of the vendor previously. It's called paying ahead and I'm currently doing it with my Acura dealer - I haven't had to use it but I'm building credits for that day.

honestly never ordered from the guy, BUT i can say this I have sent him alot of questions reguarding wheels and thought about buying from him multiple occasions because his prices are just damn good, but he was always polite and courteous when i heard back from him which usually was a couple business days. i can understand people being busy, and sometimes it takes time to get back with you.

Back