• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Run against a C5 coupe

For all those who wish to lecture me, the following numbers are in inches per hour, and the following events took place on the Salt flats of utah.

from 0-100 dead even. from 50-110 dead even. i had a passenger (don't know about the coupe)

If your car is stock...that is pretty impressive. I've ran against a c5 from a rolling start around 50 two times and both times the c5 gently pulled away from me. But my nsx was a 94 and maybe thats why. In any case, impressive.

I just sold my 00 NSX and purchased a 03 Z06. Trust me, don't try that with a 03 Z06. The car is an animal. Alot different than the NSX better in some ways worse in others. Can't say I like one better than the other. For the price the Z06 is absolutely an outstanding value. Looking forward to the new NSX. BTW, the 06-Z06 is rumored to be powered by a 427c.i., 500 HP V8 with projected 0-60 times in the 3.6 range and 1/4 mile times in the high 11's and still pull > 1g. FYI

3.0 vs C5 Vette -- do lighten your car just a little bit, add in a new intake and you won't have a problem. I have ran against C5's twice already.

3.2 vs C5 Vette -- Don't need any modifications.

Any NSX vs ZO6 -- The ZO6 will kill you unless one is supercharged or nitrous-prepped. You will need a 70 shot to do it.

Rubber Chicken said:
50 is one hell of a rolling start...

Doing rollings from that speed it is a true measure of hp. For most cars traction is not an issue at that speed, that way you can get a good pull thru a few gears and not have the "I got a bad start excuse.":rolleyes:

Oh yeah, props on hangin with the vette!:D

The Z06 is powerful and great in different aspects compared to the NSX. My friend and I, did test drives with each others vehicles (405hp Z06) Ultimately, I was extremely impressed with the Z-06, especially for its value and "new" refinement. The handling is comparable to mine (97 X) but the acceleration wasn't as powerful as I expected.

So the true class categories are

C5 vs. NSX
Z06 vs. NSX-R

unless modded..

:D

I don't know about the 0-60 times but the 1/4 times for the NSX-R are 12.8 and the Z-06 12.4 per Chevrolet. I would not put my money on an NSX-R over a Z-06 in any of the common measurements of performance such as 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed etc. And don't get me wrong, I love the NSX for alot more reasons than its performance. But the Z-06 is simply a performance animal and betters the NSX and/or NSX-R in acceleration. As I understand it the only difference between the NSX-R and and the NSX-T (3.2) is about 364 pounds. An old drag racer once told me that every 100 lbs was worth .10 second reduction in the 1/4 mile. The math seems to make sense since most NSX-T's run in the low 13's in stock configuration.

Go to Z06Vette.com and read the performance spec on the OEM and modded Z-06's and hope you don't run into a modded Z-06 with your modded NSX.

wildrice said:
I don't know about the 0-60 times but the 1/4 times for the NSX-R are 12.8 and the Z-06 12.4 per Chevrolet.
Typical test results for the Z06 are more often in the high 12s, even for the 405-hp version (e.g. 12.8 seconds per Road & Track, March 2003). The NSX-R is rarely tested in the 1/4 mile because it's not available in countries that denote distances in miles. I don't think we can reach any conclusions about comparisons between these two models, one of which is only available outside North America and the other is primarily sold within North America. I doubt you can find a direct comparison between the two in any major publication.

wildrice said:
An old drag racer once told me that every 100 lbs was worth .10 second reduction in the 1/4 mile.
Bob Butler has calculated the reduction (by removing 100 pounds from a '91 NSX) to be 0.16 second.

wildrice said:
Go to Z06Vette.com and read the performance spec on the OEM and modded Z-06's and hope you don't run into a modded Z-06 with your modded NSX.
Any car can be modded to be faster than any other car. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend.

I said a "modded" Z06. If either one of you took the time to go to the Performance Data Center of Z06 Vette.com you would see that many bone stock Z06's run in the low to mid 12's. I don't care what country the cars are located in, mathematics is a universal language and a language that says the stock Z06 is quicker than any stock NSX.

As far as the 91NSX I would hope he doesn't run into anyof the forced induction Z06's that put down between 600-800 HP!!!

It is difficult to quantify weight reduction and performance enhancement. I have also read numbers that every 200 pounds is worth about a .10 reduction in 1/4 mile times. So I guess you can throw out whatever number supports your case.

I can quote any number of automotoive magazines that cite the NXS-T (3.2) at between 13.2 - 13.6 in 1/4 mile times. Still the Z06 would kill the car in acceleration which is a point that we all realize and one that really doesn't matter to many people on this forum. And it is just going to get worse in years to come. Heck, an Mitsubishi Evo 8 and Subaru WRT (high performance version) equal or beat an NSX for less than 1/2 the money.

Last edited:
The ZO6 will beat any NSX acceleration contest, but will not beat the redesigned NSX on the top end. The newer NSX has better drag coefficient, so it is: 175 vs 172.

WRX and EVO, you are joking right? My buddy in his yellow 93 NSX constantly torched those guys down at the 1/8th. Remember this is only the 1/8th where the distance is short..

I like the ZO6. It is a cool car. However, you keep the Vette, I will pick the NSX anytime, any days. It still has the quality, reliability, rareness, exoticness and good look that the Vette can't touch.

Hey wildrice,

Although i've never run a Z06 before, but i honestly think Z06 will beat both NA1 and NA2 (unless they are forced fed). Given the same driver and same condition, for both offline and rolling start, i honestly dont think NA1/2 will put up much of a fight..

Quick question, there is one Z06 owner from this site claims he can beat a BPU Supra TT like walking in the park, have you ever run one before? (Basic Performance Upgrade, BPU, raising stock turbos boost to 17-18 psi from stock 11 psi, plus Downpipe)

I know that 1/4 mile, Z06 should beat BPU Supra tt, given the Supra TT is hard as hell to launch. (if it has Race Logic Traction Control, then i believe it will be a great fight)

Now, i am having a terrible hard time believing that Z06 can take on BPU Supra w/ 17 psi on the rolling start. Any idea?

-jjc.
blk supra 6spds
red nsx 6spds

Not in that market so can't answer your question. Might check on Z06Vette.com. Have read about Z06 owners getting absolutely "toasted" by Supra TT's with BPU's above 100 mph. But there is no doubt that a 405 HP Z06 is far superior to any NSX in pure acceleration. As far as other traits though the NSX is far superior. The looks I received driving the NSX exceed the Z06 by probably 10 - 1 in favor of the NSX. The NSX also felt much more nimble albeit the Z06 weighs 47 lbs less than my 00 NSX-T.

As far as performance CD cites the following times:

Evo 8 0-60 in 5.0 seconds (6/30)
WRX STi 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (6/03)
Zanardi 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (7/99)
Viper 0-60 in 4.3 seconds (2/01)
1/4 mile 12.6 seconds
Z06 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (2/01)
1/4 mile 12.4 seconds

The Z06 is one heck of a performance car and many owners add aftermarket I/H/E and the cars run in the high 11's. The weaknesses with the car are "Lumina" interiors, poor seats, orange peel paint, very common due to essentially same body as C5, poor stereo and inferior transmission compared to NSX (but everything I have driven is inferior to NSX). But the big plus is the hugh smile I get on my face everytime I drive the car due to acceleration and handling.

Yep, two thing the ZO6 is well endowned: acceleration from a stop, and cornering.

These stats-driven comparisons are very interesting but 8 times outta 10 it's what's behind the wheel and not whats under the hood that determines who is faster. Two cars lined up side-by-side in a parking lot can't do anything without a driver regarless of their performance sheets. So the arguments can rage on and on, but the only way to settle them is on the street, or better yet a track. The most variable and un-predictable performance add-on is still the driver.

why does this remind me of a certain other thread??:D

My Dad covers all the bases, I've got the NSX though!

Some cars from our garage...
'02 360 Spider
Ferrari_360_Spider_005.jpg

'99 Hennesey modified Viper
group_004_Viper_Evo.jpg

Bought and sold in 3 weeks (Lancer Evolution)
Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution_2003_001.jpg

2003 Corvette Z06
Texas World Speedway 2003 - 003.jpg

So, what's the quickest

The Viper is by far the fastest and most brutal car we've got. 700+ ft.lbs. of torque! ... needs Brembos and stronger half shafts.

The Ferrari is the reason I bought an NSX instead of an M3 or Carrera 4. It is THE ULTIMATE driving car. Too bad you lose about 100k if you wreck the car because insurance doesn't cover "market price"! I've never pushed that car very hard at all.

The Vette is absolutely foolproof on the race track.

The Evo is for those of you who appreciate cheap thrills (I'm one of those, but my Dad wasn't):confused:

Oh ..... I won't compare NSX with Z06 or C5.

Everyone knows NSX is a luxery sport car. NSX is made by impressived quality which in and out. Z06 is more like "muslce" car. Trust me, I've tried Z06 and C5, one word for it......rough !

By the way, 2 Z06 $ = 1 NSX $ .....................(THINK ABOUT IT)

ANSWER is ---------------> QUALITY

Z06 was referred to as a "small penis car" by the girls I work with. They said the same thing about the H2 Hummer. Not my words, so don't flame me (I could care less about your Johnson Specs.:D )

wildrice said:
As far as the 91NSX I would hope he doesn't run into anyof the forced induction Z06's that put down between 600-800 HP!!!
I'd like to see a '91 NSX and an 800 hp Z06 race from one coast to the other, 3000 miles. See which car gets there first, and which car has to stop for repairs along the way. :D

wildrice said:
As far as performance CD cites the following times:

Evo 8 0-60 in 5.0 seconds (6/30)
WRX STi 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (6/03)
Zanardi 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (7/99)
Viper 0-60 in 4.3 seconds (2/01)
1/4 mile 12.6 seconds
Z06 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (2/01)
1/4 mile 12.4 seconds
Funny how people look for the worst magazine figures when making their point. The fact is that Car and Driver tested an NSX Coupe (similar to the Zanardi NSX) in 1998 and twice reported its time as 4.5 seconds, 0-60. Also many other sources report the Z06 times much higher than the figure quoted above (e.g. 4.5 seconds, Road & Track March 2003). I'm not saying the Z-NSX is as fast as the Z06 - I think the Z06 is faster - but "consensus" testing figures are more like 4.3 for the Z06, vs 4.6 for a 3.2-liter NSX Coupe such as the Zanardi.

BTW, the Viper figure above is also understated. The Viper typically tests 0-60 around four seconds flat and can easily take a stock Z06.

Back