• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Running Rich

I have a question on how lean or rich we should be tuning our NSX'S.
I need to wash my car after every hard run. I have gas type residue from my rear wheels back and all over the bumper. So the biggest question is does everyone running SC with an aftermarket computer have this?
Thanks

I need to wash my car after every hard run. I have gas type residue from my rear wheels back and all over the bumper. So the biggest question is does everyone running SC with an aftermarket computer have this?
Thanks

I noticed after doing SOS S/C I get a black carbon buildup on my exhaust tips & rear bumper upper & lower valence area but have no noticeble traces on my rear wheels at all. My tuner did leave my car on the rich side we'll see what the intercooler reduces it afterwards. What's your boost pressure & more import what is the AFR running like on your car? Mine is running around 11-11.5 and sometimes dives under 11 under full WOT between gears.

On my previous turbo setups i've had the same black back bumper and it wasnt super rich, its just that theres no cat and even 11.5:1 is fairly rich. If you are indeed around 8:1 afr then that is too rich and the potential exists to cause engine damage. How is your gas mileage?

If its truly 8:1 not only should he be getting horrendous mileage, but the car should be hesitating/stuttering at WOT.

As to the main question, yes, a well tuned boosted nsx will leave a lot of soot on the rear bumper. It was noticeable for me when I was low boost with the fpr, got a little worse when I went high boost/FIC. Small price to pay for the knowledge that you're running rich.

Thanks

Ken,

I have been as low as 11:1 A/F and my rear bumper still gets stained.

Back