• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

[MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] after all this experience with the ITBs I can guarantee wholeheartedly the factory airbox will rob a lot of power. I'm as disappointed as you when I came to this conclusion.

Once I'm done the engine lid will be part of the airbox enclosure.

Here's a quick video and test rev right before my first shakedown run with the plenum/airbox setup. It will do for now, but i'm not entirely happy with it's current state. For example, I can't stand the unfinished look of the two silicone couplers and the look of the exposed filters. I want to enclose the cone filters similarly to if the RFY & Comptech setups had a baby. I may also 3D print couplers of some kind. There are companies that make industrial looking high pressure and strenght couplers (Vibrant comes to mind) but I'm trying to avoid the 'tuner' look. I'm also waiting on some parts to arrive [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] is helping me with to finish up the engine cover. I plan for more of the exposed engine bay to be covered. Again, this will have to do for now. At the open stacks are covered and not screaming to the cops.. hey! pull me over!

https://youtu.be/ajsAc15mPL8

Some interesting observations... The resonance from the harmonic pulses bouncing around inside the CF plenum produces this super satisfying tingle through the bucket seats right at the VTEC cutover point. It's f*cking brilliant and totally a pleasant surprise. The car is borderline Laguna seca quiet it seems but loud enough to keep me super engaged while driving. It sounds like a stock performance exhaust with valves in terms of overall volume. It's still louder than the M2 Competition we just got but significantly quieter than open trumpets. I can't describe enough how satisfying that resonant sound is. It's super rad. I haven't been able to record any video that does it justice.

Another interesting observation... So I was for damn sure that this type of filter setup would produce high IATs. Afterall... having open stacks DID produce higher IATs. However, I was pleased to find that my IATs pretty much stayed at ambient during an aggresive 1 hr canyon drive. It was +/- 5F from ambient. I attribute this to all the ducting work I did on the side vent I suppose.

In terms of overall plenum size... I built this plenum kit in such a way that I can adjust the volume up to about 50% larger if the dyno tells me I should. It's at it's lowest volume configuration now and it already sticks up about 1.5-2" above the engine cover. The problem with more volume is it will encroach so much real estate on my rear view mirror. I'm not sure i'm willing to make the trade off for a few horsepowers. A street car is filled with compromises and at some point you need to make some tough decisions and be honest with yourself. So many people (including me) have gotten caught up in building the ultimate race car for the street and don't even realize the compromises they're putting up with.

Dude. Love the airbox! It looks great! I'm surprised, but encouraged, by the IATs as well. Really impressive. FWIW, in my research, ideally, the volume of the airbox should to be at least 2x the engine displacement size and tapered in shape from most near to the inlet(s) to the furtherest away (if lower on the multiple scale). This minimizes one intake robbing air from another. However, these parameters are rarely followed because of fitment requirements and other considerations. The Super GT 500 class cars' airboxes were at least 5x engine displacement though!

I have a bigger airbox in mind for my setup - eventually, which will likely require a rear facing camera and small display on the center console in order to see what's in back. ;)

Last edited:
It looks amazing! Did you fabricate the box yourself or design it and outsource the fabrication? I'm really interested to see what you find in terms of air box volume and torque output...I'll have to come up with something soon for my car.
I'll DM you once i've got everything figured out. It took 5.5 months just to get the carbon plenum. Not sure if I can get more at this time or if ever. Hopefully...

Dude. Love the airbox! It looks great! I'm surprised, but encouraged, by the IATs as well. Really impressive. FWIW, in my research, ideally, the volume of the airbox should to be at least 2x the engine displacement size and tapered in shape from most near to the inlet(s) to the furtherest away (if lower on the multiple scale). This minimizes one intake robbing air from another. However, these parameters are rarely followed because of fitment requirements and other considerations. The Super GT 500 class cars' airboxes were at least 5x engine displacement though!

I have a bigger airbox in mind for my setup - eventually, which will likely require a rear facing camera and small display on the center console in order to see what's in back. ;)

Perhaps I've read the same literature as you! You can see how the box tapers towards the right. I figured i'd sacrifice some volume in trade for air speed for this "first draft". You can see I have a lot of volume towards the left of the trumpets. That's where I decided to add the volume instead of going up - I went to the left. I could have also added a significant amount towards the front but I became concerned with imbalanced airflow towards the front bank vs. rear bank. The NSX engine positioning simply was never designed for this in mind. Heck, it was never even designed to be seen! I can also increase plenum size by 50% or heck.. even double the plenum size (which is relatively easy with this design) but at even 50% larger I might lose most of my rear visibility at that point. Between the Type R wing and how it already protrudes 2" over the engine cover at it's highest point there's not much to see back there anyway lol, but I need to see the Po-Po following me man! It kind of reminds me of how the Targa engine cover further decreases your viewing window but this effectively decreases that further by a bit. If you can live with a much bigger box, that'd be the way to go. Even a hatch roof scoop setup that adds positive air pressure would be so much better. That type of improvement in positive air pressure will never show up on a static dyno pull though and I don't have access to a dyno inside a wind chamber haha. Whenever I get time, i'll properly finish the side duct into an enclosed filter housing. The ducting seems to work well so enclosing it into a box around the filters should add positive air pressure to offset any loss in air plenum volume.

AM-JKLUMP-bLt2qx456gzNCx4Pir3cKOrQmkUmZ_K35fd144NtE1KKFB6tDRrSQCXdwbw5gXvhN_kAzMqLtscGpC0iqyFnJJjkP9042Kn81TcjwNT_ccsPLKJQYO7VIJhzVMkMBcs0YyEa1-VBNhtKUA0RAlig=w2658-h1994-no

This was my IAT when it was 64F outside (per my phone). You can also see how cool the oil was running. I was pushing it hard through the canyons that morning. I drive these canyons a lot and Oil temp is usually in the 200F range. Same ducting work was done on the passenger side vent to flow air into the side vent oil cooler. I'd be curious if any of my ducting work makes a difference in a place like Phoenix. On a side note, Ravi (at We Don't Lift Racing) just texted me some data from him running a MASiV radiator crusing at 174F ECT when it was like 110F outside. He's running GTA at Long Beach Grand Prix this wknd. Lets support our boy!!!
AM-JKLWDuDZkZnoTgy6tYA0yDPbVz1_LFeMCZu623yh9PDSwqWpdsjMpbrWj8JgHeDbj5fJjKm0BZMWRhVDYnqGSsDhijksBStNPwok2P767WfKhZpFVoPOlqDPCcrx6dBSM2lBRmWLbFpRtYMV5PWYQq0Nqsg=w1496-h1994-no
[MENTION=36953]bogle[/MENTION] not very telling but here's a shot of the 91psi oil press

Good news and Bad news...

Looks like the Comptech Heads has some cracking as shown with the magnafluxing. Bummer
AM-JKLVsQSmIQkPlm1v4cCSU9M4jARgRvDmN3nYHgHoogcotY3eae4QmTHpcVReViR-aaChZeIHYqpGDFQEp95_2NvsF0UsDW-NBUuqEi3Rch2QkGlpf6KaxV85LkzRcB62JVJR_4TdIozD78qLDEoj5UQo2qQ=w2658-h1994-no

But at least this is nearly in my hands. Check out that part number :D Thanks to [MENTION=9035]titaniumdave[/MENTION] for deligently working with them on this. Covid has really made many processes like these so challenging for everything. I'm still waiting on radiators from MASiV as their factory was down.
AM-JKLWTJylfRtGmz48ubLnaaLwoxKdeE2Hbq1mpAI_MpNfH_2KMq3IE5A921fcvTFdn_sYaM1ZyPRrVEpNqCYYVtE4RYxRFpXZnKSpQPeZmujGovAP4QXGn4_FrGVjgTJ5x04kQ5YJppSdGznC1bYBGAOMgzA=w2658-h1994-no

wow so my heads had a crack....assssssss:frown:

i'm awaiting photos but that's the news I got this morning.. whomp whomp whomp :(

That's odd because Comptech themselves inspected the heads after [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION]'s little issue at the Glen and said that other than the damage to #5 , the heads were good to go. Don't know if they magnafluxed them though. John?

That's odd because Comptech themselves inspected the heads after @docjohn's little issue at the Glen and said that other than the damage to #5 , the heads were good to go. Don't know if they magnafluxed them though. John?

I totally agree. There's something fishy going on here. I think we got to the bottom of it yesterday. I'll know once I get to the shop.

I doubt they magnafluxed...probably John their engine builder just eyeballing...could a stress riser cause a fakeout?

Good news and Bad news...

Looks like the Comptech Heads has some cracking as shown with the magnafluxing. Bummer

Wait a minute - It's impossible to use a magnaflux technique on non-metallic components! Either the Comptech heads are iron or you should run away from that shop.

To check for aluminum cracks you need to use a dye penetrant technique, ultrasound, or radiography. I doubt you can find anyone knowing how to do the latter two techniques.

My huge ITB airbox and filtration ducting to the sides of a cut-up lexan hatch (air intakes were molded into the sides just behind the b-pillars) necessitated a continuous rear camera to see out the back. I never could get used to the camera image angle because it was too wide-view like the blue convex side mirrors a lot of us installed about 10 years ago. In the pic below, the rearview mirror image is coming from a 150 degree 2k sensor. I never could get used to the image ....

20210605_200252.jpg

Wait a minute - It's impossible to use a magnaflux technique on non-metallic components! Either the Comptech heads are iron or you should run away from that shop.

To check for aluminum cracks you need to use a dye penetrant technique, ultrasound, or radiography. I doubt you can find anyone knowing how to do the latter two techniques.

I suspected the same thing, but was afraid to say so, be wrong and end up looking dumb. :upset: Thanks Dave!

Yes, it all turned out to be a big misunderstanding between HQE, the machine shop, and how that got relayed back to me. It didn't sound right from the beginning.

Unfortunately the wait continues...

That statement never should have made it to you in the first place. There's definitely some idiots involved with your engine rebuild. Shame because you think that the few remaining places doing this type of work would be the competent ones. In quite a few of our engine rebuilds over the past few years, some of us NSX owners have found that's certainly not the case :rolleyes:

That's why I now have three electric cars and love the drivetrain simplicity. The NSX is my weakest petrol-fueled vehicle and I keep it because it's a connected driving experience. As soon as the market provides a decent electric SUV and truck, I'll replace my current 600+HP family hauler and toy hauler!

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild!

Some of you guys might be more triggered about this than I am. I was pretty upset when I heard the news which is why I investigated. Too lazy to explain but I'll take the high road and let this one go. If the end result ends up basically shit everyone here will know about it.

Here's hoping you never have to make that post....

I'm retiring this spring and would love to be the general contractor on your engine build!
You're far too young to retire! What will you do with yourself!!! I'm so jealous. Will congratulate you when the time comes. You initially turned me onto the injector positioning for the ITBs manifolds so perhaps you'll be doing cool stuff with your NA1 again. I've had EV's of various kinds since 2013. The NSX was going to be my last ICE but the wife really loves driving MT as her daily. So we're stuck (as a family) with having MT's for as long as they'll make it. My personal commuter will always be an EV of some sort.

Back