• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

They would only comment on their own Cusco LSD. It was a Toyota private event so I didn't want to go asking questions about the NSX and potentially be "disrespectful".

Their position was.... (i'm paraphrasing) basically they said the material and finish they use is specifically designed to work together any modification coating, treatment, or friction modifiers would yield unpredictable behavior outside of the original specs. They didn't say it would be worse or better. So jury is out...

ok no drama then they just know their stuff and wont comment on others with theirs, thats cool i get it

I've gotten some questions and PM's on the OS Giken STR2C twin disc clutch. Here's a quick review after about 300 miles of break-in driving. In a nutshell this is the best clutch I've ever tried in the NSX. Billy has this in his personal car so please correct me if you disagree with anything stated here. It's subjective and opinions are always open to debate.

Here are other clutches I've tried.
* stock 5spd
* stock 6spd
* Clutchmasters FX300 single kevlar multi-puck
* RPS Single
* RPS/SOS Twin Carbon
* SOS 275 (Or whatever they call their "Sport" clutch)
* Exedy twin
* Exedy single
* Notable mention to the Comptech Power Grip which I have NOT tried.

Build Quality - 9/10. The machine is work is outstanding but i'm on the fence about whether or not they could have made the flywheel lighter.

Pedal Pressure - Positive and a tiny bit lighter than stock. I owned a stock 5spd 91 NSX recently so it was easy to compare back to back. The stock is more springy and more dampened. You couldn't feel the engagement thru your left foot but instead rely on your other senses to feel the car moving or the engine lowering in RPM as clutch engages. The OSG is much more crisp, positive, and not springy. It's consistent in pedal pressure throughout the pedal travel but with a slightly narrower sweet spot before the clutch fully engages. It also doesn't engage as high a stock clutch. It feels appropriate for a sports car (not a race car). I'm of the opinion that the OSG pressure plate is actually very heavy (for high HP) but their slave cylinder "Alteration Kit" add more leverage so it feels like stock. Great engineering.

Engagement - I'm very impressed with the engagement. I could talk about it for a long time but won't. Suffice to say it's easy to modulate and there's virtually no chatter (but you can make it chatter if you try). It's very easy to sense where the catch point is and it's more sensitive, in a good way, than stock or my Clutchmasters for that matter. The metalic disc have an interesting nature to it. It will allow for some smooth slippage when you're taking your GF to a nice dinner and don't want to pin her head to the headrest and induce whiplash but if you slam the clutch it responds like an ON/OFF switch as well and you can tell your motor mounts are working hard. It's dual nature in that way. I'm very impressed.

Noise - It does make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed for that short moment in time. Some kid thought my car was broken but it not loud and offensive like the Exedy version. Perhaps once I get more miles it will get louder. If you WPC the friction plates the noise is actually lower. I'll also drive a few other NSXs with and without the WPC treatment on their STR2C in the coming months for more comments. CDX_NSX just got his installed and he's got about the same amount of miles on his but he's got a 500wHP motor.

Torque Holding Capacity - I'm noticing no issues at all with my CTSC but a track day will be more telling.

MOI or Rev-eagerness - 7/10. I don't notice any difference from the Clutchmasters I had though I am supercharged so spinning the compressor will dull my revs already. I feel like the SOS Twin Carbon is more rev happy however I stalled that car twice and i'm not a rookie driver so it comes with some expense to daily driving imo. The STR2C is a good street/track clutch which suits my car.

Anyway, I'm a fan if you can't already tell.
Pretty much agree. It's a fantastic clutch and i've had it since late 2011 and think its awesome. My father drives my NSX more than I do and he wasn't a fan of the Exedy Twin Disc Carbon because of the loud chatter and light-switch on-off behavior once it got warm. The OS Giken STR2 is a great clutch for a stock daily driver on up to a tracked forced induction car. I'm also very pleased and would recommend it to pretty much anyone. FWIW the Exedy twin carbon that I had was one of the lightest clutches i've ever seen, and the weight increase of the OSG (and loss of response from revving) was minimal and the improved daily driveability of the OSG makes it a no brainer.

I have never experienced a clutch like this before. I'm hesitant to say more because I hate sounding like a uneducated fan boy but this clutch feels quite sophisticated. It can be docile when you want it too and fierce as well. I think due to the pressure plate clamping force being so high it can grab very deliberately. We ordered 3 of these among my local SoCal friends. I'll ask them to post their opinions here as well for additional non-biased opinions.

Btw.. I met with an engineer and head Japanese driver at Cusco last week. They recommended not to WPC their clutch disc components on their LSDs. They purposefully did not want to talk badly about WPC (it's a Japanese thing) but they were specific not to do it. I thought that was interesting...
WPC does not inherently reduce the friction of a surface. It's like a micro shot-peening process that homogenizes and levels the metal surface with microscopic craters that (for an lubricated system) holds oil molecules in these pockets to reduce friction. On a clutch plate, LSD, or brake rotor, the main benefit of WPC is adding strength and making for a more even mating surface that is less prone to getting uneven pad deposits or hot spots which can make a clutch, LSD, or brake rotor 'chatter' or 'shudder'. It's a great process and i've had success WPC treating clutch plates, LSD plates (including CUSCO), and brake rotors.

Last edited:
Wow, WPC'd rotors had not occurred to me. Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

CDX_NSX brought this to my attention. It's a remote TPMS setup. I realized how useful this would be for track days whereby I'd be able to measure real-time tire pressure and temps. I looked into this before but they were more expensive back then and not that accurate.

Any opinions out there? They're pretty affordable now.

http://www.vulcantire.com/orange_409_sys.htm

orange_409.jpg

Still considering the tire pressure sensors ^^. I should have bought some because I was recently given a set of tires to install; Maxxis RC-1 in 235/40R17 & 275/35R18. Perfect aggressive sizing for the NSX. They're suppose to compete with NT-01s? We'll have to see...

IMG_20140429_110550_zpsogsseibi.jpg

Also decided I needed two bucket seats instead of just one. I couldn't believe how many fake ones are flooding the market. These are genuine stock.

IMG_20140501_214417_zpsfjjyikgp.jpg

Last edited:
That video was all sorts of cool... lol. Although I wonder is it the color or the paint that is making a difference, or both. What if you painted/coated the intercooler with silver/copper exhaust paint? Or ceramic coated or some other type of thermal coating?

And since this is my first time posting in your thread Regan.

Your car and build is The Bee's Knees.

Last edited:
Its important to realize that painting the intercooler slightly hurt its heat transfer ability and performance with airflow. Intercoolers function by ambient air passing through the fins in the heat exchanger to cool down the heated compressed air. When the car is not moving, there is no air being compressed and heated up. Coating the fins reduced this heat transfer ability and negatively affected its performance and I personally wouldn't paint them.

A good read why a thin layer of paint can improve the intercoolers emissivity but slight corrosion on bare aluminum fins is probably better:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=40092

And the heat exchangers main form of cooling is through convection (airflow through the fins) not radiation:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99317.htm

Time would be better spent improving airflow through the heat exchanger by making the ducting to it air tight.

Last edited:
I agree with you Billy and would not paint my own intercooler.

The results of their testing were surprising indeed, but I don't really think it reflected real-world situations that well.

Making sure the fins are straight and free of debris is probably the best enhancement on a tired and old intercooler, plus like you said directing as much airflow directly through the fins as possible.

I definitely plan to straighten/clean out the fins of my intercooler/radiators/coolers/condensors one day.

Regan any update/feedback on the STR clutch? Specifically move alt kit? Any issues? I am thinking hard about getting a OSG GT/Streetmaster single plate.

Good to hear. After some research, I think the GT Single (soft) is the right one for me. It holds up to 400 whp and is much quieter than the STR Twin. It's also lighter. :D There is some confusion about the GT. On the Japanese retailer site, it is called Street Master. But, on OSG's own website, it is called "Grand Touring". I'm pretty sure it is the same clutch lol.

Glad you found the one you like Paul. Let me put a myth to rest though. The STR2C is really not that noisy. Some may not even notice it but it is there. A noisy LMA is louder. The Exedy twin... now that's a noisy clutch.

Billy has a lot more miles on his. I wonder if it gets louder as it ages.

Trev had one on his NSX and made a video- it sounded like a fire bell when the clutch was engaged. Might still be on Youtube. The wannabe engineer in me just loves the concept of the move alt kit. So much easier to fit compared to the stock slave cylinder, which is a bear.

I've heard that vid and i'm still scratching my head.

I'll post a vid this week. CDX_NSX installed this same clutch but no WPC treatment. Sounds the same as mine. Kuni will have this clutch installed soon too. All local in SoCal so I know mine isn't an anomaly.

Maybe Billy will chime in later.

Wow, WPC'd rotors had not occurred to me. Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

CDX_NSX brought this to my attention. It's a remote TPMS setup. I realized how useful this would be for track days whereby I'd be able to measure real-time tire pressure and temps. I looked into this before but they were more expensive back then and not that accurate.

Any opinions out there? They're pretty affordable now.

http://www.vulcantire.com/orange_409_sys.htm

orange_409.jpg

I might try these. Man that is cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome thread overall Regan. Very well thought out.

I'll post a vid this week. CDX_NSX installed this same clutch but no WPC treatment. Sounds the same as mine. Kuni will have this clutch installed soon too. All local in SoCal so I know mine isn't an anomaly.

looking foward to seeing the video. I'm seriously thinking of getting this clutch.

I love my OSG STR2C. It makes a very low pitch 'tumble' with the clutch pedal pressed in but it's very inconspicuous and most passengers don't notice it. However my Exedy twin disc carbon would turn heads in other cars to see what all the noise was about. At the end of the day, you shouldn't be sitting with the clutch in anyway...

Yup the Exedy twin carbon definitely has the tumble noise! It's noticed by everybody that's for sure, haha.

I love my OSG STR2C. It makes a very low pitch 'tumble' with the clutch pedal pressed in but it's very inconspicuous and most passengers don't notice it. However my Exedy twin disc carbon would turn heads in other cars to see what all the noise was about. At the end of the day, you shouldn't be sitting with the clutch in anyway...
I agree. The tumbling sound is a good description. I'd go further to say it sounds like a cow bell inside a suit case stuffed with cotton and you threw it in the bathtub.

Trev's video sounds like the exedy

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the kind words Dave! I'm just following your footsteps but at maybe 10 cents on the dollar :)

Youtube video uploaded. This was taken with my cellphone inside my garage so the resonance is all screwy. Even my car sounds like it's idling like a v8. Keep in mind cellphones mics tend to be tuned to pick up the human voice range best. Not exhaust or noisy clutch frequencies lol.

You should compare the volume of my engine/exhaust at idle and at rpm compared to the sound of the floating clutch. I will say that the circumstances in this video make the clutch sound louder than it is (honestly speaking). For comparison my exhaust valves are closed in this video and in this config its slightly quieter than a Taitec GTLW on stock cats. http://youtu.be/51OMJtsOae0 I start depressing the clutch pedal at 18secs and progressively continue to do throughout the vid.

Around 46 secs you can see the responsiveness of the LWFW. It could be better but its perfect for a street driven NA car imo. I'm CTSC so it's a little slower recovering.

OMG it sounds like an angry animal....

Back