• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Is this airbox available for my set up?? Seriously interested (& needed):biggrin:
Sorry if misled everyone! That was an airbox someone posted randomly. We think it's a one-off from Japan.

Wow still kicking and refining! How do you like it vs the CTSC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITB's in a 2700lb nsx coupe.......Heaven...or Valhalla for all us Asgardians....
Honestly, for the street it's a lot of fun. I don't really need/want anymore for the street and my local canyons. Granted i'm also on the Type R spec 5spd. On track I might miss the extra HP. We'll see this Friday! For now, i'm having a blast with this. Though... I'm getting a little over the tuning process. Every little change affects the tune. I was obvious to this before with my CTSC but now that I know where to look and how to adjust.. my OCD can't handle it.

HaHa I love watching all the old JDM ITB widebody Vids....Plus listening to the old JGTC 3.5 liters scream....Mugen Power!

btw.. can you guys see the 2 youtube videos i posted on post #648 ? I'm trying a new YT security feature... lmk pls!

Great Videos!!! You're working too hard on this....You need to take a "vacation" to Hawaii and help me work on my set up *LOL* :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Your videos came up with no issues whatsoever. Great job on this project. Following it closely. Also looking forward to your track day adventure. Pictures or it didn't happen!

Track day was a success. Surprisingly, little cleanup on the F-Con maps were needed. I had pictured in my mind I'd be tucked away inside the car being anti social typing away on my keyboard the entire day. As it turned out the tune was at an already pretty decent starting point so it more about clean-up and validating my fueling and compensation strategies then rinse and repeat. My countless hours of street tuning paid off I suppose. Big thanks to @illwillem for taking the captain seat while I played pretend tuner getting car sick with an unsafe laptop open in front of me going round and round on the edge of grip for several laps! (thanks dude!) Damn.. he's such a good driver! This exercise was huge because I can't get to those sections of the maps the way he can and studying the data logs on his session was just so different than mine during the first session. He's a much better driver than me and really highlighted the transitionary areas of the tune I needed to work on. I still have a few hours of studying his logs before I can call this tune done but it's all fine tuning stuff. Actually, I still need a tune for a super hot session so later in the summer will be interesting. For the record, I'm not sure if he likes my car at all but he's great at giving feedback. You'll have to ask him yourself haha.

By the way, for this track day I lowered/retarded overall timing another 3 degrees just to be on the safe side. I wanted to tune on 91 street gas and didn't want my normal track day 100 octane gas to influence things. I normally run 100 for all track days as added insurance. I can't wait to get on the dyno and finally try to squeeze some power out of this thing. At the moment she feels a little stronger than stock but with that signature ITB throttle response. Willem also brought his NSX so it was super helpful to get a feel for a stock'ish 3.0L on track back to back.

I feel really good about this ITB setup now and just time to round out the year. Tip on throttle from idle needs a tiny bit of work. I want it a little lazier from 0-10% throttle.

Unfortunately, I was so busy with "things" I didn't get a chance to setup a proper engine bay microphone, didn't do any lap timing, and was looking at gauges pretty much the entire time. I can't wait until this phase of the tuning is done so I can just focus on driving. The last time this car was on track was in 2017 for the Thunderhill NSXPO in San Francisco.

Here's a quick track video snippet. Audio is a bit lousy and doesn't really represents how the car is like to drive.
https://youtu.be/KNTdjF0Xcwc

One last thing... the one bad outcome of the day was regarding my 3D printed PETG trumpets. I had my calibration off and I printed these rather in haste. My poor planning was rewarded with poor layer adhesion. I noticed these trackside and quickly took them off before even the first session. @stuntman gave me some settings i'm about to try. Wish me luck! Airbox is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for that finishing touch.
https://youtu.be/GY4JhVV_UOA

One more last thing! I liked the S2000 EPS quick ratio rack. I noticed I was a lot less fatigued, more relaxed on track, and the car seemed easier to dance with when it got squirmy. I feel like there are strong pros and cons but I can't see myself taking it off anytime soon. Still not sure how @illwillem feels about it haha, but at some point you'll get feedback from @stuntman. In my case, it opens up the option of going with 245 tires out front.

Super amazing. Truly one of a kind NSX!

Looking good, [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION]. Even with the iffy sound recording, the car sounds quite smooth.

Glad all went mostly well for the day. Yes, illwillem is one hell of a driver and knowing you, I'm sure you had the tune 95% dialed in before you got there. Looking forward to hearing about dyno day.

Thanks guys! After about a year or so of development it's nice to see the end of the tunnel. Have a great Christmas break everyone!

ACtC-3c2jxfRcRGdioeX1j88NoAu715LZYf0z2XEC_7Mp7Sf7kvNpem8vagMih6eqTzwet8nMYh9QWTFIAR28Z7ThkNNAT5BHzQCubSjGLO1YqYCYK-1wGuToL5_x9r-9N4tgwnfzRfdJgkiHXWbw2VtB2F8IQ=w1245-h935-no

Went to Streets of Willow raceway and completed "high altitude" testing. Well, it's about as high as we get here in SoCal - 2500 ft as far as racetracks go. It was a successful day tuning except for the failure of yet another 3d printed PETG trumpet. It's either bad/old filament or I have not yet optimized my settings. Layer adhesion failed on this one again. The resonant frequencies must cause so much vibration on those trumpets... You'll notice in the pic and video I had to revert back to the 90mm (too long) aluminum spun stacks.

My fuel maps were spot on but the altitude compensation was about 3% too lean on the first 3 laps. Easy fix and glad I don't have to mess around with the main fuel maps anymore. Now I just need to finish up this darn airbox so I can wrap up the dyno run and squeeze some numbers out of this. At this time i'm about 3-5 degs of timing lower than optimal.. maybe more. Also about .5 too rich on AFR. This is for safety purposes which I will clean up on the dyno. Yet, she feels great. Even at higher altitude she was peppy and throttle response was excellent.

I have to say.. all that work refining the throttle feel and progression was so worth it. It's a bit hard to explain into words but it's like an OEM Sport mode setting w/o being jerky, nor have the on/off racecar feeling. This setup is a true drive to the grocery store on Saturday and drive to the track on Sunday setup. That alone was worth the effort of developing this kit from scratch. Tip-in/off throttle at any RPM is smooth but I might add a tiny bit more progressing from 0% throttle if my OCD gets the better of me. Will require a redesigned throttle pulley again. This is where a DBW setup is advantageous.

Here's [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] driving the pants off of her.
https://youtu.be/WrW7uhPphw8

and his sick IS-F breaking necks and records everywhere
ACtC-3fCWeXL-kCzND3lNkSgBjF1TOEtzGCOJ7ANricP1xHHdAvkK5M9C1FWfsd7Igkr7C0hradTYN_Yuf57FjTj5s7SotNzzZszyAB9XzCmlSwfLCJ-o4DJ1N0_efUdAqZwK-hY2FypxhXEESBj-23CGldJ-Q=w1246-h935-no

Amazing job. Dream setup really. I know sound is amazing, throttle response but I'm so target fixated on the linkage movement. It's a ballet, mesmerizing.

[emoji106][emoji106] They sound awesome. Too bad the printed stacks are failing
Thanks! Yeah... I just need to stop being so lazy and go through a meticulous PETG calibration process on the 3d printer. It's so tedious, i'm not really looking forward to it..

Amazing job. Dream setup really. I know sound is amazing, throttle response but I'm so target fixated on the linkage movement. It's a ballet, mesmerizing.
I was looking at that most of the time too! How funny you mention it. I thought I was the only one. Willem can't really fit in my car. You can see his knees are all bunched up. Him being able to heel/toe is amazing considering how tight it is. Next time you're in town, feel free to drive it. It's looking like it might be some time before I can get the airbox installed.

Lastly, it looks like i'm moving forward with a NA build. The current plan is 11.8 CR (91 pump gas for street, 100+ for track), forged pistons, stock rods, sleeved, bored and stroked to a 3.6x bottom end. It'll be on the high side of 3.6L. For this first go around we're keeping the heads stock except for the use of bigger 3.2L valves. Keeping the heads stock will allow to better isolate exactly what part does what and address any problems that come up much easier. I prefer not to throw the kitchen sink at it on this first go around. It's a similar philosophy to how we developed the ITB kit on a stock 3.0L first. Rinse and repeat when the times comes to fully do up the heads with porting, cams, and gears. I'm most concerned about driveability on a burly motor so we're taking baby steps. I'm partnering with HQ Engineering on this and super excited about it!

Toda engine for inspiration
todav6honda.jpg

So you have my old CT heads.....keep us posted on what they will be going into...

So you have my old CT heads.....keep us posted on what they will be going into...

So that's becoming quite the loaded questions these days! ��. I may have jumped into that in haste but I'm looking forward to it. Not sure when I'll be able to get it installed as it has the potential to be a massive monkey wrench if done wrong but I'll be sure to leverage the nsxprime hive mind before doing so!

Never thought i'd spend this much on a set of catalytic converters but here we are... These are the same ones many race teams use in Europe including Porsche Motorsports. Supposedly claimed to contain 25x more precious activating metals on average compared to most aftermarket cats. No way for me to prove that but I've read these also pass CA sniffer tests when other HF cats fail, despite them being 200 cell. The goal, again for my NSX is to pass the smog sniffer test but maximizing the NA power. BTW... these suckers weight significantly more then even the full Angus HF cat bolt on kit (with piping and flanges) that's currently sitting on my shelf.

On other news... many of the parts needed to start the NA build is still on backorder. Cometic is weeks/months out on custom head gaskets. Our machine shop got hit with Covid. My airbox project is taking an excruciatingly long time. Things are looking delayed once again.

Fx2L12PqwR6vmPfYcOe66KcBnV0yy1g-VPLGPTmU-G_LPskywS_zp8olC5qklcNr5L1pQGsp0VvYzvLfe9WcV5KtPpzs0hxIfx-9ZiOC9cJCrWY0Z2IRasqD-ujwxnghW2ON5HpNNq4aHKrpsZ5GF2v80ckdBrlcqFtUDHyF3XShr4qkbXufkRzdmgEqFnaeBftcB6lcJrPB_kAQVNQUaG5G3P4zIn6EymOz7ZiSqmnO8z11MdqDGoZuPTcoQB_2caSz__qV866qFW1uAxTXgLMdZT_6TltiYYw5ej6DIBAUGUiDgjcriuOJIrjl5HZULAyX_Hk-5u0JGLitUkmCxrlzoSrCtRnKBC_P3lc4HwQHNBX3qMvLp-AYKv7c_3jZ4JgQzCYopSGlckfTEyqonfApJQ57iAmTHMZNmKtd1aYuAFMW6BSE0ISnzCA460ZtmeAZCY86EsUkbCn0RiP03oadBluV2sJ-_8KYcNtlscieK4RlFIyG1fnM8Ks-EehZES4j2PcuWQpU-NeXLAOUltaSB1IWZnUfbMOxCqK-JGB8h0ABIedvci75pVhMeg1Z1dgv6dzi4DRJhXGzQgi5R5YzWNtPGA5INOX3_wOWJYLgjfgy3izvVvZttQkwBvgiPgxaY3MALtUeu2rqEo9fhg1Uh9Cy-AY4XbCKrHvgmD4LD9XuRrOhOdnQ5bjszqyNZ6O4P0_vCy6C7XxlZZlIY7YWYQ=w702-h935-no

auo6vz1cRc9Z_gBnMU-z5KGYXum6lKR1HBbzcE0wg-OE8E6R6DbbpmWtdoXX9EDysFz91Pjwqtf9pb3h5WP-mQ74_YiBifnrsHEeFl-ER_m93v1ieWFr1nGZ-JsDWrL5bT2cB3WvZWgPevlwpkTMK_UYx9un4fQSpUik0HA_Pi3-zlTiN2ZgAr83DEMj4dtiHi-vEE6JwTwVWw3MWO7Yas6IoSu6OFGNtvMx37EWDwcso1YTJgNTchPQqwz6R7wA9I0uN3TwH5d9icQI-pjcjuaWYxy_JJy8pgmZi5C-J81ZFVL6aecC0Q5pjN-NwZDYiDLqwU4ER2vv_HbGeNO3taNFI4mB0OjNtOXbXikJr92WQ7IDdlLc7beDhB_U8xiYopctJf7ufYCX1EHZGLGpA6kwVUaI3o-mkGUb4R6MWw95oRZZ1OhM27r0IUHinUbS38s93f3AZCXvKroOn1rhnAGzUEkW62-TeiyVVx9oKhkPWKyCl--e51jKy201NLq9Lddw3HYHyPjEjM2DOtf5LsCCAk_dmTHk11PJYNRRNCI6DyjTrrCm-2aLcPKtUY0xrLUEEHqJKg1C58jZ2slSDk4mSOw3qyeqJI2X3fhH3SXZ4rGV2wFhPuyM8p5s0ehTerpv9aP7t9BrDfEMCAjg9_aoWrPBoQRmGtm6f7Xkc_nhm2PD8bIsxpbtNKhU1fNLR-gRv_zuRryTfRG2drS2LWgx9g=w702-h935-no

wvEDgSi1JkC1P7cJBXmoiteJ67LADjALhPiPColhB5vqeqg-f4EKZG08QtXDYtNXCqI4K5rLuDB1TEYHOIueolZmBOBPD_RwPCekh3Qr_NJ_m8q_6L9jr8IXHzH264h-zN52A0zr7FqoyOzOW6R_cG1U6WG8Gx4kRd2U8JYbML8RJBRVwSnXGJ0PFBqBws_m49ZtAo8xUDtMWR0VBC1M6FZ4ORXoEX3BrbZr3UYIaoT_3R9EZvAHLyZWm2J3gz6Gz2g6vWs32ZwFYvYIkcKp471BMXYQ5yqImFxRTC0G9Pymndo2dkvK3itKutaOK9P0vg_qiHsfvG6nCIkFMoOErnaP8NN8-_lPCNfOTGlX5qPbZkutELvlxbDxkQhOOdp4bhbszcqx18ihPaiDCb5zwjTbjXlQTtCtkpmKfdTk4WZf7kS4bemG5XY-5UY2QoE0SCjjFgndbZcgJKnGpRiK4TiU3xh7vHSwbIiQLExkLC6pHEavm4jo_29ehRqR1efsXPaGR0uj3fwFk34ioevmW0-pfCj4cu60s63G5xI3s6i_km_dqCMrkwjQU5N8bPICBfqyLR_W7CHD_bwju7A97uYpysC2BWgeP5AmCkM2t7j2HPPMZ16yP3aCwNLVqGEvAB-x2ldiliIEKSWmesqj7obY7yTTU1cKhgYAHGSgGqGvCoGXA9cS5XB8XBbIoDLReRglQ1D3FUqgRsvAEiGodVH-pw=w702-h935-no

Last edited:
Back