• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S too K infos please

Test drove an S2K recently because I was looking for a daily driver.

Here are some of my impressions about the car.

Very far from the NSX in regard of overall driving pleasure experience ( read: quiet, luxury and headacheless sport driving pleasure ) .

Sure the car is quick when you enter the 7 to 9 K rpm realm, BUT nothing IMO compared with the NSX:

not as quick as the NSX and truly getting breathless at 190-200 km/h
( around 120 mph )

not as pleasant as the NSX engine sound which seems to love revving,

with the S2K, I feel like hurting the engine which, in the sound department, remains the one of a 4 banger anyway...

not as much as the NSX low rpm torque and instant feel of power;

with the S2K you do have to plan when you want to overtake cars, not the case with the NSX; just engage the clutch and squeeze the right pedal, you know it is going to move instantly...in the S2k getting to 7 K rpm is too loooonnng, staying there tooo noisy........maybe I'm becoming an old fart ! :)

But I am sure that this car would grow on me and thus would become more addictive, but the NSX is such a fantastic driving experience for my taste.

Heard that there is lubricating and overheating problem with the 4th piston in the early model.

Anybody knows about this possible issue?

Thanks !

Sorry for digressing... wanted to share my experience.

I also want to say that I have no intention to bash this engineering marvel.

Cheers everybody!

I owned a 2000 (traded on my X) and learned that to get the most from an S2K, you need to drive it like you hate it. That is: rev high.

My only problem was the 5-6 slider was glitchy and had to be replaced 3 times before it was right.

effer,

you should look here. you'll likely get more info than you wanted, but there's no better place to get it.

i too looked at the S2K prior to deciding on the X, but for me, it's the excitement i get when walking up to the car or hearing the roar of the engine from behind you as you scream toward 8,000 rpm's. then i thought about the exclusivity factor -- that i don't want to be just another car on the road, but in the end, this website and community won me over. that this diverse of a group from all over the world can get together to take pleasure in such a fine piece of art, constantly helping out others, providing THE definitve resource for X info/parts/etc..., having meets that are as entertaining as they are informative, all the while having the most respectful, approachable group of members i've ever had the opportunity to interact with.

sorry for the rant there, it just kinda... happened. oh well, back to the subject at hand, overheating the 4th piston on the S2K -- i heard it had happened on few occasions and the response from Amer. Honda varied. your best bet is to research it on www.s2ki.com - do a search.

in my opinion ( only opinion ):
S2K = good :) , but no NSX ( hey, what is? )
NSX = good, but, uuh.... can't they make this thing fly yet :confused: :D ... ( i'll keep my fingers crossed... maybe the HSC will offer the "flight" package ) :D

Thanks MarkB and xxmerlynxx!

effer

I'll do the search there.

I tried here because there is also numerous NSX/S2K owners on this board.

For sure this community is great! It goes on par with the car!

I'm not a big hp guy, so the less powerful motor is not a big issue to me. I personally, love the sound and the high revving characteristics of the S2k. The car is very enjoyable to drive at the limits (which are more easily attained with the S2k than the NSX). This is either a good thing or bad thing depending on your point of view. It's a fairly raw sports car compared to the NSX, its louder inside, feels lighter and more responsive than my 92 NSX automatic. If my NSX was a 3.2 6-speed I'd probably feel differently (which is probably why I'm longing for a lighter, 6 or 7
speed Gen 2 car). The S2k would get tiresome if you had to drive
it every day at highway speeds because of the noise/comfort issues, but it is a great little roadster. Either one is a great choice, and I feel very fortunate indeed!

Back