• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 or NSX

I'm in the market of looking for my next car. My choice is a brand new S2000 or a used early 90's NSX. Which one you think it's worth to buy? I drove both cars and I love boths cars.

This question has been done to death. Try a search.

Anyway, I was in the same position as you, and I liked both cars. I didn't like the fact that the S2000 was convertible though as it is just too hot here in the south! 95+ today!

Anyway, I tried to look past that fact as I still really loved the car. I was nearly sold, until I drove an NSX again that weekend. There was no comparison in my mind. So I am getting the NSX. 93 vs a 01 S2K.

TypeS:

For what it's worth, I was in a very similar situation. I had a couple other cars I was considering (350Z, early 90s 911) but got discarded for one reason or another. I ended up deciding between a '94 NSX (the last year I could hope to find a coupe) and an '02 S2k.

I drove them both, and found myself constantly wishing for for another spin in the NSX. The S2000 was a great car, but IMHO a slightly different class and type of car. The NSX absolutely lights my fire, and the S2000 is one of the most fun cars I can still see being 'practical' for me.

I have a daily driver, so the real reason for my purchase was just pure love for the car. I found that most of the reasons that the S2000 stayed in the running were reasons of prudence and not of passion (warranty, ease of service, lower profile, etc). So, I shopped until I found my '94. I couldn't possibly be happier - I still have to go out the garage once I night just to say "hi".

I'm not sure if I could have made the same decision if it were to be a daily driver - it would kill me to see my NSX in less than loved condition due to mall parking lots, grocery carts, etc. I wouldn't be that extreme with an S2k, but I doubt I'd be popping in the garage once a night either.

Anyways, those are just my two cents. The important thing is for you to drive them, consider the advantages and disadvantages of both and do what is right for you. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either - good luck with your decision!

M-

I would think twice before buying the S2K, I have worked on two of these cars that the dealers wouldn't cover under warranty, they told both customers that thier cars had bent valves and Honda wouldn't cover it. After taking the heads off the cars I found that both heads had the exhaust guides and exhaust seats worn out, something that didn't happen overnight, this is something that has taken some time to get that bad. Both of these cars had less than 25,000 miles on them, Honda is still not going to cover them, they are insisting that the customers had over reved the motors and bent the valves, thier was no contact with the pistons and valves and the valves are perfectly strait. Both customers are going after Honda for the cost of the repairs. after doing some research I found out that there has been 5 S2K's that have had the same problem, Honda will be seeing alot more of these cars with the same problems in the future. One more thing, one of the customers is a 60 year old lady that swears she has never been over 6000 rpm's in the car.

With due respect to Gerry, I would say this...

I am on my second S2K and both have been absolutely trouble free. While I don't drive like a maniac, I do drive pretty hard.

I would also suggest that you take a look at S2Ki.com. As with every make and model of car, you will find owners who have had problems. In most instances (not all but most) any major problems with the S2000 have been due to driver error or abuse. For example, repeated 8K RPM clutch drops or missing a down shift into 4th and over revving the engine by putting it in second instead.

There have been a very small amount of cars with engine problems but I believe that they've all been taken care of by Honda. Not unlke the NSX and the ring and pinion problems in the first couple years of production, the S2K is largely hand made alongside the NSX and there were some small issues with early year cars that seem to have been worked out.

I would also add this. While both cars might be made alongside one another and both cars were designed by largely the same excellent team of engineers, there is a world of difference between the average Honda dealer and the average Acura dealer. I am in the minority on S2Ki.com but I wish to hell that Honda had brought the S2K to the US as an Acura model because most Honda dealers don't know how to sell these cars and most disturbing of all is the fact that many don't really know how to service them.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks guys for the advice. DaHappa, sorry about this but I disagree with you that you think Honda should bring the S2000 under Acura line up because the car would cost more. I'm not a rich guy, the only NSX I can afford is a used early 90's one which means probably would cost about the same as a brand new S2000. Actually for the S2000 owner here, another I would like to know is, does the roof leaks when it rains because I also heard that most convertible leaks when it rains.

No rain leaks, I do get some leak around the top of the rear vynol window when hosing it down which could not be duplicated under natural conditions.This can be addressed with furthur adjustments of some velcro-like pieces back there.I think the engine failure rate for the amount of s2ks out there is quite acceptable.Go ask your local toyota dealer how many blown celica gts 1.8 motors they see!

NSX all the way- s2000 maybe for a daily driver...people think I am crazy when buying a 10yr old. car, especially what you can get these days for about 30-35k such as a 99 and up 5 series BMW, Lexus GS400, new 350z, 98 C5, but hasnt influenced me at all =)

Type S -

I can't think of any reason that selling the S2K here in the states as an Acura instead of a Honda would affect the pricing of the car. For example, the Acura Integra (RSX now) is priced similarily to the Honda Integra sold elsewhere. Same can be said of the NSX, Legend (or RL) and TL models. The customer would only gain by this in that we'd be able to deal with a sales and service staff more accustomed to working on higher end vehicles. Trust me when I tell you that finding a good service tech to work on your S2K is not an easy task. You don't know how many fellow owners report seeing Honda service tech's slamming the hoods of their cars as opposed to dropping the hood from chest level. You NSX guys will understand how important it is to treat the aluminum parts of the car with appropriate care otherwise you end up with expensive and ugly dents.

As to your other question about the integrity of the roof, you have no reason to be concerned. Very, very, very few owners report this to be a problem. I would never imagine taking my car into an automated car wash but other owners report no problem even under this abuse. The top is very well made and has no wind or water leaks. Maintenance is simple in that it only requires occassional lube of the seals using some Honda (shinetsu I think is the name) lube that only takes a moment or two. I would also note that DocJon is the first owner that I can remember having a problem with water around the window. However, the new window (MY2002) is glass so this might not have even happened had he had a new car.

I would encourage you to get on S2Ki.com and find a local chapter near where you're located. Most of the board members are very nice and while they are not as "mature" or "well off" as most owners here are likely to be, they're a good group of guys/gals. They can give you some good insight and can help you find a dealer that will sell you a new one at or under MSRP and might even allow you to spend some time in their car so that you can really decide if its for you. I for one, don't think the S2K is the right car for many people. However, that doesn't change my position that it's simply one of the best sports cars on the market (especially when you consider price). Take one out for a few good corners and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Da Hapa:
Type S -

I can't think of any reason that selling the S2K here in the states as an Acura instead of a Honda would affect the pricing of the car. For example, the Acura Integra (RSX now) is priced similarily to the Honda Integra sold elsewhere. Same can be said of the NSX, Legend (or RL) and TL models. The customer would only gain by this in that we'd be able to deal with a sales and service staff more accustomed to working on higher end vehicles. Trust me when I tell you that finding a good service tech to work on your S2K is not an easy task. You don't know how many fellow owners report seeing Honda service tech's slamming the hoods of their cars as opposed to dropping the hood from chest level. You NSX guys will understand how important it is to treat the aluminum parts of the car with appropriate care otherwise you end up with expensive and ugly dents.

As to your other question about the integrity of the roof, you have no reason to be concerned. Very, very, very few owners report this to be a problem. I would never imagine taking my car into an automated car wash but other owners report no problem even under this abuse. The top is very well made and has no wind or water leaks. Maintenance is simple in that it only requires occassional lube of the seals using some Honda (shinetsu I think is the name) lube that only takes a moment or two. I would also note that DocJon is the first owner that I can remember having a problem with water around the window. However, the new window (MY2002) is glass so this might not have even happened had he had a new car.

I would encourage you to get on S2Ki.com and find a local chapter near where you're located. Most of the board members are very nice and while they are not as "mature" or "well off" as most owners here are likely to be, they're a good group of guys/gals. They can give you some good insight and can help you find a dealer that will sell you a new one at or under MSRP and might even allow you to spend some time in their car so that you can really decide if its for you. I for one, don't think the S2K is the right car for many people. However, that doesn't change my position that it's simply one of the best sports cars on the market (especially when you consider price). Take one out for a few good corners and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

DeHappa, don't you think the parts would cost more if it's under Acura line up? I have seen it how much more a Honda parts can cost if it's under Acura brand. Well, I'm still thinking which car should I get. I tried both cars and I love them both. So far the lowest price that I found is $31,500 for a brand new S2000 but one salesman told me to come back after the summer is over because right now everyone is looking for a summer car and most likely I won't get a pretty good deals.

I love the red interior for the S2000 but too bad it doesn't come with the red exterior which is the one I'm going to buy if I decide the buy the S2000.

As for the NSX, I'm still looking around for that too. I live in New York and so far there aren't any good condition early 90's NSX. I'm definitely gonna take my time searching though, I'm not in any rush because I want to make sure that I find the right car. Parts are very expensive for the NSX, that's why.

Thanks DeHappa for the advice though.

Looks like Honda needs to address both its Honda and Acura dealers when dealing with its sports cars. Cause I don't think there is any trustworthy Acura dealers around both in terms of Sales and Service. And I live in Orange County, where there are 6 of them within 20 miles. Almost all of their salesmen have no NSX knowledge.

They don't have any clues how to treat my car nor answering the questions that I have.

IMO, they both suck.

Originally posted by NSX2F1:
Looks like Honda needs to address both its Honda and Acura dealers when dealing with its sports cars. Cause I don't think there is any trustworthy Acura dealers around both in terms of Sales and Service. And I live in Orange County, where there are 6 of them within 20 miles. Almost all of their salesmen have no NSX knowledge.

They don't have any clues how to treat my car nor answering the questions that I have.

IMO, they both suck.

Both what suck?
confused.gif

Both cars?
Both Honda and Acura?
Both Sales and Service?

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back