• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 starter button

I installed a S2000 starter button in my NSX ( see picture ) , and it work perfectly without any problems .
I found a perfect place for the button in the shift boot plastic frame .

Attachments

• s_hpim0032.jpg
    s_hpim0032.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,143
92NSX said:
I never knew they moved some of the switches from behind the steering wheel to the place behind the shifter.
That's the European version. Those switches control features not available in North America, like leveling (to adjust the headlight aim depending on the weight and loading of the car) and headlight washers.

I didn't even notice where he was located at. Guess next time I will look before I ask. Don't want to get somebody mad :mad: for asking a question.
Thanks for the answer though Ken.

Someone in Houston had that modification done at AutoLogic and I got a chance to check it out at the Houston meet. He had it mounted where the lighter goes. Kinda hidden and wont start without pushing that start button. I like it! ;)
Z

T-Bell,

Are they the illuminted buttons? Does it come with everthing needed for installation including instructions?

For those who have them installed, how exactly does it work?

If the switch for some reason starts to fail/malfunction, can you disable it quickly and use the key to start the car?

How hard was it to wire it up?

Thanks

Are you changing something at the key-contact, so the key doesn't get passed the contact ON position?? Or is it just 2 wires making a parralel-electric connection?

Is it safe to assume the ignition switch is still accessible with one of these starter buttons installed? For instance, if you wanted to play the radio with the engine off.

Guys I believe that everything works the same as before, except you push the button instead of turning the king all the way forward. funny thing I had a 69 GTO in high school and my key column broke so we installed a switch..much cheaper than buying new column key switch...must of been ahead of my time and cheap....Brent

Texas91Brent said:
Guys I believe that everything works the same as before, except you push the button instead of turning the king all the way forward. funny thing I had a 69 GTO in high school and my key column broke so we installed a switch..much cheaper than buying new column key switch...must of been ahead of my time and cheap....Brent

I was just a few years behind you, I had a 72 240Z that the ignition switch went out in and I had to do the same thing only the switch I used had a safty cover that had to be fliped up, like the ones you see in the movies when the pilot arms the missle prior to shooting, then the switch pulled to start. Of every thing about the car all my freinds thaught that was the coolest thing ever. You really had that James Bond feeling every time you armed, I mean started the car.

Dave

It looked like this one.

Jim, how are you going to maintain the felt in the tray? It's going to get pretty dirty and worn as much as you'll be using that area. Could you line the tray with CF or other hard surface? Just my $.02

Raymond-honda said:
I installed a S2000 starter button in my NSX ( see picture ) , and it work perfectly without any problems .
I found a perfect place for the button in the shift boot plastic frame .

What Honda factory part numbers are required to do this? I like it, but I would only want to use Honda factory parts. I am about to replace the pathetic stereo with the new Alpine 7" touchscreen. With the SOS replacement console there is still lots of room for the START button out in the open.

I thought the purpose of the start button in the S2000 was so that you could start the engine while simultaneously putting the car in gear, kind of like how the Porsche 911 ignition has always been on the left.

So, shouldn't the start button be mounted on the left side of the steering wheel somewhere (as it is in the S2000)?

:)

Last edited:
Ben said:
I thought the purpose of the start button in the S2000 was so that you could start the engine while simultaneously putting the car in gear, kind of like how the Porsche 911 ignition has always been on the left.

So, shouldn't the start button be mounted on the left side of the wheel somewhere?

:)

Just a question, why would you want to do that?

what i understand is that the button in the S2000 is there b/c of the F1 inspiration behind the car. We just turn the key all the way, power comes on, windows, radio, etc...clutch in, press button. If/when I get my NSX, this might have to be a mod I put in it. I love the start button.

Tom

Bart Geerts said:
Just a question, why would you want to do that?

I was told once by a Porsche fanatic that it was something leftover from racing so, you can shift into gear and start the engine at the same time for quicker starts during racing, or something like that.

Found a quote on the web to that effect:
"the ignition switch on the left side of the steering column—placed there so drivers in cold-start races, like the 24-hour Le Mans, can turn the ignition with their left hand while simultaneously shifting into gear with the right."

Last edited:
I C, for the old LeMans kind of starting (running to the opposite site of the road, jump into the car and go...) I always liked that kind of start, it's funny to look at :)
I'll do that next time I come from McDo, run to the car... :D

I think it would be really nice and "stealthy" in the cigarette lighter. You could flip open the cover and hit the start button. That way you don't have to cut any holes in your interior.

Alsodais said:
I think it would be really nice and "stealthy" in the cigarette lighter. You could flip open the cover and hit the start button. That way you don't have to cut any holes in your interior.

Yes, especially the shift pattern indicator right in front of the shift knob. How would you ever remember what gear you're in?:D

j/k

Back