• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

s2k vs. NSX

I am a bone stock guy, but the 99 NA2 was with racing clutch, Revolution suspensions, and 17/18 wheels.

I'm confused,I think.

You own a bone stock NSX and drove someone else's 1999 NSX on the track?

You should drive your stock NSX on the track because I bet your time will be better than that 1999 with those wheels and that suspension.

Taken from S2Ki.com and TrackHQ.com - here are some times of slightly modified S2000s and an NSX or two with pretty good drivers. Almost all of these cars have not much more than larger tires, brake pads, rotors, suspension, and wings

Buttonwillow Config #13CW

1:59.3 - S2000; 255/255 NT01; 200whp/2850lbs w/driver - Wing, KW V3
2:00.9 - S2000; 255/255 NT01; 200whp - Wing, Exhaust, Tein SRC
2:00.9 - S2000; 255/255 NT01; 200whp - High-mount APR GT200 Wing, Carbotech XP10/XP8, KW V3, J's 60RS, Stock header/cat

2:02.1 - S2000; 225/255 Federal 595RS-R; 200whp/3000lbs - J's Type 1 Wing, ASM lip & canards, KW Clubsport,exhaust, PMU racing999 pads
2:03.0. - '91 NSX; 235/275 R888; 266whp/3025lbs w/driver - Brembo "Lotus" front brakes, PFC 01 pads, CT headers, Taitec exhaust, Penske double adjustable coilover, JAPANESE GEARS
2:05.9 - S2000; 225/255 NT01; 193whp/2950lbs - camber kit, Endless SS Lines, K&N Drop-In Filter, Carbotech XP10, Motul RBF600, Recaro SPG on Taitec Rails, High-Flow Cat.
2:06.4 - S2000; 235/255 Federal 595 RS-R; 200whp/3000lbs - Tein SRC, Endless BBK, 4.44 gears

Willow Springs International Raceway (Big Willow):

1:30.0 - Porsche GT3 (997) 235/305 R888 - modified wing element, Moton Clubsports
1:33.8 - S2000; 255/255 NT01; 240hp/2880lbs - Voltex Wing, exhaust, racing seat, KW V3, FXMD Spring rates
~1:34.0 - '91 NSX; 235/275 R888; 266whp/3025lbs w/driver - Brembo "Lotus" front brakes, PFC 01 pads, CT headers, Taitec exhaust, Penske double adjustable coilover, JAPANESE GEARS
1:35.3 - S2000; 255/255 Dunlop Starspec; 195whp/3040lbs - GT200 Wing, stock suspension
1:36.1 - '91 NSX; 235/275 R888; 266whp/3025lbs w/driver - Brembo "Lotus" front brakes, PFC 01 pads, CT headers, Taitec exhaust, Penske double adjustable coilover, JAPANESE GEARS
1:38.4 - S2000; BONE STOCK down to the tire

Even an NSX with a aftermarket front brake system, similar suspension/tire mods, no wing, AND the short gears, is still not clearly dominant on track over an S2000 (with light modifications). The S2000 still has a shorter gear ratio than an NSX with short gears, which keeps it in its peaky powerband better on track. Being able to stuff such a large tire under its fender, and the improvement a wing does on that platform makes the S2000 a formidable track car.

Billy

Are the times for the NSX the same one car and driver? It's not more than one NSX/Driver here, is it?
BTW, is it you?

It looks like a few differnt S2000's here in these examples. Am I understanding these stats right?

Are the times for the NSX the same one car and driver? It's not more than one NSX/Driver here, is it?
BTW, is it you?

It looks like a few differnt S2000's here in these examples. Am I understanding these stats right?
Same NSX, different drivers, I am one of them.

The times were to show how a lightly modified S2000 compares to an equally modified NSX. There are many different S2000s with different drivers, but a similar formula in terms of the modifications they do to their cars with the fastest cars running 255/255, a wing, and suspension. There are many fast S2000 drivers that track their cars and drive quite well, so these times are fairly accurate to the potential of the car at this level. Too bad there aren't more NSXs out there hitting the track...

They are expensive to repair if they do any "hitting" at the track. The S2000 is a more affordable choice for this.
So are Porsches but you see tons of them at the track.

Drive within your comfort level and means, don't go buck-wild, practice car control in safe, low-speed corners, get good instruction, and throw your bravado/ego/manlyness/know-it-all out the window.

Do NOT buy an NSX, especially if you're handsome. I just got one, and because of the extreme visibility, people stare at me all the time, because I'm so handsome. In my 350z, people couldn't see me as well, so it wasn't a problem.

People are always giving me the finger, in this case the thumb. What the hell did do? It's not my fault I'm so handsome.

The last straw was the other day a lady in a Porsche was stalking me on the freeway, pulls up alongside, and gives me the finger! Again with the thumb!

I gotta get rid of this NSX and get something more discreet, like an S2K.

When I was shopping for a new sports car I had a very common debate in my head: new S2K vs used NSX.

In the end I chose the NSX simply because I have always wanted one and knew that even though I'd enjoy my S2K, every time an NSX passed me on the highway I'd be sitting in the S2K having that "coulda, woulda" feeling.

I love my NSX!

4437_114215286223_690446223_3077247_1936516_n.jpg

When I was shopping for a new sports car I had a very common debate in my head: new S2K vs used NSX.

In the end I chose the NSX simply because I have always wanted one and knew that even though I'd enjoy my S2K, every time an NSX passed me on the highway I'd be sitting in the S2K having that "coulda, woulda" feeling.

I love my NSX!

4437_114215286223_690446223_3077247_1936516_n.jpg

Sweet pics!

Do NOT buy an NSX, especially if you're handsome. I just got one, and because of the extreme visibility, people stare at me all the time, because I'm so handsome. In my 350z, people couldn't see me as well, so it wasn't a problem.

People are always giving me the finger, in this case the thumb. What the hell did do? It's not my fault I'm so handsome.

The last straw was the other day a lady in a Porsche was stalking me on the freeway, pulls up alongside, and gives me the finger! Again with the thumb!

I gotta get rid of this NSX and get something more discreet, like an S2K.

LOL. This is the best! Two Thumbs up!!

s2k will squeak rattle you name it (with the top up) -- plus you will hear every rock hit the underside of the car. A nsx that has not been run into the ground will either not squeak, rattle, etc or do it very rarely.

This is comparing a 05 s2k with a 92 nsx. Plus the s2k is twitchy as f%$# --- low speed that is a good thing --- high speeds not so much. Over 100 the s2k rear gets really light -- not like the nsx which feels more solid as you increase speed. I'm sure this is why billy drives home the point about the rear wing (for the s2k).

I sure am glad this question was asked and "answered". It was keeping me awake at night! ;)

I dont track my car... yet. But I plan to this summer just to learn how to drive her well. To me speed isnt the ring time but on the street. When I got the NSX I assumed that it was MUCH faster than an S2000. It isnt.

It does have class and looks and decent speed. If the experience of a shorter nose makes me feel like its faster, awesome! Maybe a watch would prove otherwise but feelings cant be quantified.

I drove my friends S2000 and it was nice, it was a little cramped ( I am a fat ass ), I liked the convertible vs Targa (faster)... But it was after we drove against eachother I noticed this has a lot more to do with styling not speed. how much faster is the picasso vs the rembrant?

anyway, I love both the cars, we call them "the sisters" picture attached.

I think the s2000 is a great car through... and driver experience makes all the difference in the world.. He went to skip barber, he heel-toe's, etc etc.. Ive been driving an automatic avalanche for 3 years! The NSX was barely faster in MY experience.. but with a much better driver prob could have done a lot more

Jman

Lol.. this thread has turned real racers into bench racers:eek: Btw my keyboard is Not faster than many of yours..I can't type,but with two fingers:redface:

Attachments

• sisters.jpg
    sisters.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 214
I had the same debate 3 years ago..

prices for a newer Ap2 compared to an NA1 were about the same...

I was younger then and didnt want to spend money on an older car. At that time i also had two 1988 Celica's so i did not want to add to the classic car collection..

I ended up buying a AP2... like others have mentioned, Ive spent alot of money with mods and the car still isnt that fast... the resale sucks and too many people own them.. Its still an amzing car and gets looks...

but now three years later i still wish i woulda used that same amount of money to buy an nsx... keeping in mind that back then NA2's were still over the 45K mark, which meant that I would have had to get an NA1 back then..

Last month I finally put a deposit on a 98 NSX and will be picking it up in a couple weeks..

So now i will have both cars :biggrin: I love my s2k. But most likely ill sell my s2k because i only have one parking spot in my condo :frown:

I know i should of just spent the money on the nsx in the begining, but iam glad that i purchased my ap2 first....that was my dream car back then but now i have another dream car... i keep saying that its going to be my last one but i know it will never end... what i do know that it will always be a honda/acura..:smile:

One thing i know is that I can say that ive owned both and both cars are amzing!

GPW AP2, Berlina Black NA2 :biggrin:

I started with a EF, EG, ITR, AP2.. now finally NA2.. whats next?:confused:

Anyways good luck with your choice, like i said either way you will be happy. but with the nsx you will def get more looks and more prestige.

My 2cents is that if you are barely managing to scrape the money together for a car, and need to commute 100 miles a day in it, and cant *really* afford it, AVOID cars like the NSX, Viper or even 911s. Ive never owned one of these cars as my only vehicle, and never would. So some do it? Sure. Do some manage to do it *well*, Im sure some do... But most of the time it doesnt work out well and the car goes to hell and is dumped as soon as it needs something that will cost over a grand or it gets keyed by some jealous hump at the mall...

Just because the *purchase* price has come down doesnt make these cars somehow now an even decision with an S2000, or an *insert car here*

Now I dont think the S2000 is a good daily drive either actually. To me thats also a toy car for someone who wants a more reasonably priced toy. But its still better than using a semi-exotic to bang around to school or work.

Last edited:
s2k will squeak rattle you name it (with the top up) -- plus you will hear every rock hit the underside of the car. A nsx that has not been run into the ground will either not squeak, rattle, etc or do it very rarely.

This is comparing a 05 s2k with a 92 nsx. Plus the s2k is twitchy as f%$# --- low speed that is a good thing --- high speeds not so much. Over 100 the s2k rear gets really light -- not like the nsx which feels more solid as you increase speed. I'm sure this is why billy drives home the point about the rear wing (for the s2k).

Hmm. :confused: I have an '05 S2000 with over 85,000 miles, I put on it, and an '05 NSX with less than 19,000 miles on it. Neither one squeaks at all. I do love my NSX for it's effortless acceleration but I trust my S2000 in corners more. Could be because I've owned an '01 S2000 too, and have about 135,000 miles in an S2000 compared to only 7,000 in my NSX. Just wondering if you really have the experience to back up your claim of squeaks.

personally if I had the money before my S2000 to buy either one, I would buy the NSX and if I didn't like it, I could sell it after a year or two for basically the same price I bought it (yes a few thousand may go to maintenance depending on how much you drive) and buy a slightly lower mileage/newer S2k since they will have depreciated much more.

I've been in love with both cars ever since I saw them, have owned the S2000 and will always love it, but want to try out the NSX for awhile. I'm surprised after reading through ALL this thread the most obvious answer was not given.... DRIVE both/all the cars you are looking at and decide for yourself knowing everything you have read!

I started with a EF, EG, ITR, AP2.. now finally NA2.. whats next?:confused:

With the HSV canceled a lot of NSX owners are asking that with no easy choices unfortunately. I don't consider anything out there an NSX replacement. In the price range the GT-R , Z06 , Cayman S, regular 911 and Lotus Evora are to be considered if you go a little higher the R8.

Now I dont think the S2000 is a good daily drive either actually. To me thats also a toy car for someone who wants a more reasonably priced toy. But its still better than using a semi-exotic to bang around to school or work.

Toy car? With the exception of heated seats it has everything most other cars have. I've been driving S2K's as my DD since 02. Now that they have VSA they're even good in snow with snow tires.

Hmm. :confused: I have an '05 S2000 with over 85,000 miles, I put on it, and an '05 NSX with less than 19,000 miles on it. Neither one squeaks at all. I do love my NSX for it's effortless acceleration but I trust my S2000 in corners more. Could be because I've owned an '01 S2000 too, and have about 135,000 miles in an S2000 compared to only 7,000 in my NSX. Just wondering if you really have the experience to back up your claim of squeaks.

The problem with that feeling is that the NSX stock suspension is just too soft to "feel" confident in corners compared to S2K not to say it isn't. Plus the S2K's lighter and narrower. S2K is more intimate as well.

I still say this should never be a vs between the two as they are different driving experiences.

The problem with that feeling is that the NSX stock suspension is just too soft to "feel" confident in corners compared to S2K not to say it isn't. Plus the S2K's lighter and narrower. S2K is more intimate as well.

I still say this should never be a vs between the two as they are different driving experiences.

I agree with you about them being different experiences. I too felt the NSX was too soft and put Bilstein's on it soon after I bought it.

While they may have similar heritage (Honda) they really are different vehicles. What I love about them is that the both share the Japanese Honda reliability (had far too many issues with italian and german vehicles), and their great looks. I love the top-down and kart-like drivability of the S2000, and the sophistication of the NSX. Really two different vehicles, despite similar heritage. I plan on keeping them both :smile: Jay

I agree with you about them being different experiences. I too felt the NSX was too soft and put Bilstein's on it soon after I bought it.

Hey Kyras,

I really appreciate your perspective on these cars - nice to see you post and it sounds to me like you are a real DRIVER! Someone that really understands driving! Nice to hear your experiences with these cars! Keep on posting! Glad that you are enjoying your car. So tell me about your bilsteens I am eager to hear what you find different about them with the stock dampers. I'm thinking of doing something different. I have late model springs and shock from an 05 and they are surely more stiff than my original shocks but the ride height is up about a 1/2 inch - and I don't like that feel. It seems a bit diconnected - I bet you know what I mean. My coupe is lighter than your car and it really pushed mine up in the air - it feels a bit funny to me. I am thinking of either bilsteens on the lower perch to lower my car or Swift springs. I just am looking for a more "seated" feel. I'm not sure how to describe it - I'm hoping you can fill in some blanks for me.

Sorry for the high jack but then we've all read plenty of S2000 vs NSX threads - anyway looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks ,
Tim

When I bought my 91, I thought the suspension was too soft as well. But it was the 19 year old worn out shocks! I too just installed the Bilsteins and they feel pretty nice. Now, if I want my fillings to fall out, I'll put in some H&R lowering springs :biggrin:

I do love my NSX for it's effortless acceleration but I trust my S2000 in corners more

TURN OFF your TC, S2000's have no TC (early ones) and don't be so scared, believe me, I know what you are saying.

Or get a proper suspension on you NSX, after that is no way the S2000 can be better :)

Back