• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S5, Cayman S, IS-F,M3

You CHOOSE: S5, IS-F, M3, Cayman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sigh......so the Corvette is old news, and we are going to go with something a little more refined.

Opinions please. Anything with more than 300 hp is fine with us, and it will be driven 4 times a week totalling about 20 miles a week.

Really like the Audi, but they have a reputation for needing more than normal service, and parts take forever to come in if/when it goes in for warranty work.

Had a Boxster years ago, and like the Cayman, but it may not drive as well as the rest on the list.

IS-F seems over-priced, and looks a bit too much like the IS350.

M3 - just seems to lose more of it's appeal with each new edition....

Any takers with opinions?

** edit: Poll should read 'Cayman S'

Last edited:
Tough call here but I always liked the Cayman. Im not a big fan of BMW's and the IS-F looks out of place with those gills on the side. Hence it was a close choice between the S5 and the Cayman for me. I went with the Cayman because there's more out there, with more feedback on the cars dynamics. Where as the S5 is new and unproven at this time.

M3 hands down. A white M3 is the first car ever that look like GUNDAM.

IS-F close second. I like this car too.

S5-Gorgeious looking car, least performance of the 3, also least expensive. Perhaps RS5 are more fitting in M3 and IS-F category.

RS5, almost as good looking as M3, most powerful of the bunch, TT V8 FTW
audi-rs5-rear1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cayman S- Completely out of place in this category. No comment other than this is another car you buy not for the power.

Go drive the Cayman S, you will delete boxster reference shortly after:biggrin: and I am not saying that because I sell them. IS-F is fugly, from the fender scoops to the lame take on quad tip exhaust. If you like the BMW get a 335i cp way more bang for the buck and not that much less performance.

Cayman S takes my vote too. I love the way it handles and always liked the styling.

The IS-F doesn't look like the amount of money you paid for it. But its really practical and its pretty darn quick. (C/D said its faster than the new m3)

M3. Not a fan of the styling. I agree the 335i cp is the way to go.

Owned an S4 and it was in the shop literally once a month. Gremlins galore. Last S car I'll own. But if you're looking for brute force pick one up.

IS-F is an automatic, becareful what you are getting into, it might be too fast:biggrin:

Quote from Edmunds:
Automatic transmissions are slow-acting, power-sapping, indirect hindrances between an engine and a driver's will, right? Yet the IS-F's eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission (AA80E) obliterates this notion with an entirely novel — and we think industry-changing — control system.

When manual mode (shifted via steering-column paddles or the console-mounted gearlever) is selected, upshift times drop from a Lexus IS 350's typical 1.3 seconds (0.7 second to initiate plus 0.6 second to change ratios) to a mere 0.3 second (0.2 second to initiate plus 0.1 second to shift). The gloriously quick downshifts (with matched revs) sound as if the car has a true sequential gearbox. It's unbelievable.

Quote from Motor Trend:
"The IS F doesn't offer a manual transmission--and nobody's going to complain. Instead, standard is an eight-speed automatic with manual mode and paddle shifters. While the transmission uses a conventional torque converter in first gear, in manual mode the lock-up clutch remains engaged from second through eighth, directly connecting the engine's output to the rear wheels (lift off the gas, and the engine compression is immediate, as with a conventional manual transmission). Adding to the "manual" feel is ultra-fast shifting; Lexus claims the tranny can change gears in just 100 milliseconds--as quick as the Ferrari F430's F1 box."

Sigh......so the Corvette is old news, and we are going to go with something a little more refined.

Opinions please. Anything with more than 300 hp is fine with us, and it will be driven 4 times a week totalling about 20 miles a week.

Really like the Audi, but they have a reputation for needing more than normal service, and parts take forever to come in if/when it goes in for warranty work.

Had a Boxster years ago, and like the Cayman, but it may not drive as well as the rest on the list.

IS-F seems over-priced, and looks a bit too much like the IS350.

M3 - just seems to lose more of it's appeal with each new edition....

Any takers with opinions?

** edit: Poll should read 'Cayman S'

Now usually I would never recommend a front engine car or mid but this time I did. I like to consider myself a Porsche guy and a Porsche had more character when Aircooled. I don't like all the plastic in the caymen. The V8 BMW is an amazing motor I have to give credit where its due, maybe the looks will grow on me one day. IMO the BMW is a far better value. Hope it has no runability issues but since its under warranty I say go for it.

Thanks for all the responses.

I checked into the 335i coupe, and it is good bang for the buck...optioned out it comes to about $49000.

As for the RS4, its running around $70000 so I don't really see that it is in the same bracket.

We called Lexus and were told that test drives are only being 'allowed' for people that are 'very' serious since they have sold the first two coming in, and are only getting 5 for the month of March.

Test drives should take place next weekend.
-----
On a side note, I've been trying to talk her into getting a Honda Civic SI for about 25K, pay cash, then pay off the house over the next 3 years, then go buy an R8:biggrin: . She's not interested:rolleyes: .

I used to like Cayman S, thought it was the closest successor of NSX. However, although the performance is respective, but the more look I look at it, the more it looks like a frog to me from behind, and the front lights look too feminine, plus it is not built in Germany. I would go for 911 at this point if I want a Porsche.

S5 is more like a tourer, not really a sports car. One colleague just bought an A5, and I thought it looked great, I'm sure the S5 looks even better.

I like the new 3 series coupe, so I'm pretty sure I will like the new M3.

Between IS-F and the M3, I would go for the M3.

If the price is within range I would recommend you look at the RS4 as well, I really like it!

Last edited:
The C63 should be a part of this poll. It will debut at downright cheap sub $54k price tag. It went head to head with the RS4 & M3 in a Top Gear episode. Very entertaining, the car is truly a beast. However, in the end, all 3 chose the M3 and Jeremy changed his tune and called the M3 a "Masterpiece." I agree with him so my choice would be the M3.

The IS-F like the GT-R, pardon me, has vehicle down syndrome. The S5 is simply gorgeous and shares a lot of the same lines as the E92.

If someone wants to do an engine swap on the NSX, the engine most deserving of that honor would have to be the M3's V8.

My impression of the Cayman S... a glorified Boxter (Which is what it is)

First of all, it's slow. And if you look at the power curve, there is a huge dip around 5000 RPM - VTEC systle engagement, I have no idea?
-With a Turbo/SC package and 400+ HP, very nice, given that it's < 3000 lbs.

IS-F all the way for me. M3, second, Audi next. The Merc is awesome car, but slow around the track b/c if's soo big. That is, if I was looking for an NSX replacement.

If I wanted a fast cruiser, the Merc would be a little higher up, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Good luck.

Here's what I've come to think after looking at all of these cars in person.

M3: Almost walked past it. The performance is stellar, but I just feel ambivilant about it.

IS-F: I'm in the minority here, as I really like it. And Lexus tends to bring very solid cars to market. I have not driven one, but I would likely put this second on my list.

Cayman S: If I was going to buy a new Caymen S, I'd look hard at a 996 TT first. I do like the Cayman, and it's closest to an NSX in execution, which is no small feat. But it doesn't really fit in with this crowd.

Audi S5: I love this car. It has very nice exterior styling, and I'm full-on smitten w/ the interior. It has, by far, the best interior of the group, and seeing as that's where I spend my time, that's very important to me. And a RS5 would have me doing backflips. I think it pretty much has rendered the TT passable at best. And, given the area of the country I live, the Quattro is a nice benefit.

Thanks for all the responses.
I checked into the 335i coupe, and it is good bang for the buck...optioned out it comes to about $49000.
The cars you originally listed were all in another category, so I didn't even bother. Now that you have mentioned, I highly suggest test driving one as hard as you can. The I-drive, premium package imo not useful options and just more things things that could potentially break. Just by taking out one of these pacakges you can offset the additional tax and fees. Sports package is however is a must. Look wise, it doesn't have the wow factor of the other cars (expect Cayman S) you mentioned.

It is what IMO the best car possible under $50k new car category. For what it is and the cost. I felt it is great bang for the buck and fantastic value. This is first time that I would say that about a German car.

It match the S5 performance bone stock. Out of box it is faster or near as fast as any bone stock cars I have ever owned or driven. Supra turbo, 300ZX turbo, CLK55, NA1 NSX, NA2 NSX, E46 M3, R34 GTR. Good handling is also happened to be its specialty. N54 is one of the smoothest motor ever. $3k in 335i it will likely match my own NSX in acceleration but with a shit load more torque (edit, hmm, just took the NSX out for some exercise for the 1st time in a week:biggrin:, don't think so, gap still way too big for 335i to make up even with all big power mods, the 335i is still just way too heavy). To put things in perspective: my NSX (418bhp/295tq) has about same power and torque as E92 M3 while weight 800lbs less.

EVO X, STI offer similar performance, but with much less desirable power delivery and less in most of every other areas. C6 offers more performance but less of everything else. I considered a lot of cars. Roughly $3k in mods you can have E55 level straightline performance and easily top the IS-F. Gas mileage is also one of its strongest suit as well.

Bone stock 335i coupe (Car & Driver, Road and Track, Edmund, Business week all got 4.8sec):
0~60 in 4.8sec
0~100mph in 11.9sec
Shorter braking distance than new M5, M roadster, M Z-4 Coupe, C6.

Last edited:
Enjoy this Topgear episode

Part 1

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/usQi1peqQOs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/usQi1peqQOs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 2

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG5i4uyzTok"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG5i4uyzTok" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

UPDATE - dealer weekend

Lexus IS-F: Went to the dealer, looked at the IS-F.....looked like a slightly nicer is350 which looks boy racer to me. Not one sales person came out on the lot and we were there 15 minutes .......... no test drive...... didnt' even want one.

Infinity G37S: Dealer was very busy, 10 minute wait, dealt directly with the manager, not pushy. Very friendly, knew his stuff, handed us the keys and said, "Have fun, and keep it 30 minutes." WOW. Car itself held to the road well (went down a track style road with lots of curves). The exhaust sounded fake, or unnatural. Fit and finish, although nice, seemed a 'cheaper' nice....? Left thinking it was 'okay.'

Audi S5: Dealt with owner from Germany. Very friendly, not pushy.
Wow, loved the car. Red lines in first way too fast. Drives awesome, one minute in this bad boy and you forget the two above EASILY. Female friend drove it, 5'2", could see fine, reach pedals fine, everything nice, but the sides of the seat was in the way to keep her from shifting since she had to sit so close. This was a deal killer......unless the dealer will swap non-sport seats into it and credit $2900, which I doubt they will do.....sold out 6 more months.

Audi A5: Looks great as well, but boring to drive. Worth saving 20K? Not if you want a sports car.

08 BMW M3: Didn't seem to need to sell a car for the next couple of years. Asshole at dealer said, "You don't test drive this car, you order one and if you don't like it, just don't sign the deal." He then said we could test drive one in two years because M3 owners don't want other people driving their cars and they are sold out for the next 1.5 years. BS. Went to a second dealer, said they will have an M3 demo in this week and we can drive it all we want. Watched online video COMPRO between this, GTR and GT3...BMW last on the list, and seemed way behind the 8 ball......have decided 'What's all the fuss about? Looks outdated too. No thanks.'

08 BMW 335i: Better than the 07 model since it has the pod screen for viewing stereo, nav etc...Drove great, very impressive, friend fit in it great...like a glove. Impressive car......left the dealer though seeing 20 more very similair BMW's driving by, at the gas station, Wal-Mart, Taco Bell....etc.......has lost the 'gotta have it factor' from a looks stand-point.

Came home thought about options. Decided to keep the Corvette a bit longer until something can sway us otherwise.

Overall winner*** S5 by far! Second was the 335i, but would never buy it because it is SO bland.

Back