• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

San Francisco - No license. No problem!

San Francisco is about to give a big break to people, many of them illegal immigrants, who are caught driving without a license.

Beginning Sunday, cops will no longer impound cars the first time drivers are pulled over without a license.

The reason: Many such drivers are in the United States illegally - and thus unable to get a license - and the officials pushing the change think that impounding their cars is an unfair hardship.

Instead, unlicensed drivers will be given 20 minutes to phone a relative or other acquaintance with a valid license and insurance to pick up the car. If the driver doesn't have a cell phone, police will help him contact someone.

If no one shows up, then the cop is to call a supervisor to approve the tow.

A second offense within six months means an automatic tow. But, for those who stay clean for half a year, the clock starts over.

The change means San Francisco will be far more accommodating to unlicensed drivers than police in Oakland, San Jose and even lefty Berkeley. Cops in all those cities impound the cars of people driving illegally.

Recently installed Police Chief George Gascón said San Francisco is "trying to be sensitive to all of the communities we serve."

I've been rear-ended by a migrant worker with no license and insurance.

The cop was sympathetic to him.

Boy was I pissed.

I can't help but to think that cultures near outside if the 40th and 60th parallel just plain sucks. Lot's of village idiots wondering around.

Why?

No emphasis on finishing at least a 4-year degree, but rather focus on living one day at a time, producing children with little to no prenatal care at a very early age and lastly, subscribing to zealot religious beliefs such as no birth control (just let divine intervention take it's role).

Silly......

Last edited:
San Francisco is about to give a big break to people, many of them illegal immigrants, who are caught driving without a license.

Beginning Sunday, cops will no longer impound cars the first time drivers are pulled over without a license.

The reason: Many such drivers are in the United States illegally - and thus unable to get a license - and the officials pushing the change think that impounding their cars is an unfair hardship.

Instead, unlicensed drivers will be given 20 minutes to phone a relative or other acquaintance with a valid license and insurance to pick up the car. If the driver doesn't have a cell phone, police will help him contact someone.

If no one shows up, then the cop is to call a supervisor to approve the tow.

A second offense within six months means an automatic tow. But, for those who stay clean for half a year, the clock starts over.

The change means San Francisco will be far more accommodating to unlicensed drivers than police in Oakland, San Jose and even lefty Berkeley. Cops in all those cities impound the cars of people driving illegally.

Recently installed Police Chief George Gascón said San Francisco is "trying to be sensitive to all of the communities we serve."
wow. can't make this stuff up.

We have a big illegal alien problem here.

Common offense - No license , no registration , no insurance , no green card.

Due to our cities' history as the world's largest hat manufacturer in the past when hats were in vogue , we call this a ' Danbury hat trick ' .

A friend of mine who was days away from moving to Georgia was hit by an illegal which totaled his truck. The car that hit him bounced off and hit another car which was being driven by another illegal alien.

A double hat trick.

Sad thing was my friend had no desire to buy another truck only days away from moving and waited until he got settled in Georgia. He was planning on using his truck to help move some of his stuff to his new place , that did not work out.

The police and courts here give the illegals a break because they have no ID , give a false name and disappear before the court date. All legal Americans are raped for all charges in court to help fund the revenue machine.

I know S.F is liberal, but I think Police Chief George Gascón's cherry rolled off the fruit cake. No license, no problem, we'll make it up by issuing fix-it-tickets to those who don't have front license plates instead. Are people with no license above the law now in S.F.?

Mayor Gavin doesn't seem to be fighting this decision.
Note to myself: don't vote for Gavin for Governor. Meg Whitman is looking better.

Our Board of Supervisors, ya gotta love them.:confused::confused:

Does this mean if you get pulled over for speeding in S.F., and claim you don't have a license. Will they just call someone to drive your car home with no impound or speeding ticket? Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, lets just THANK GOD that all these illegals will be covered in the new HealthCare Plan.

Thats a fact.

I'm going out on an extreme limb here.. but I bet if I was an illegal alien and I thought a particular group of people let me drive without a license, made sure I didn't have to learn English to utilize most public places, and even offered to give me free healthcare.. I might go ahead and vote for those guys.

f o r e v e r

I'm going out on an extreme limb here.. but I bet if I was an illegal alien and I thought a particular group of people let me drive without a license, made sure I didn't have to learn English to utilize most public places, and even offered to give me free healthcare.. I might go ahead and vote for those guys.

f o r e v e r

Thats a stretch. :mad:

One's residency status and driver's license are not related.

No? Don't you have to be a resident of a state (and hence the US) to get that states drivers license?

Well, lets just THANK GOD that all these illegals will be covered in the new HealthCare Plan.

Thats a fact.

they are already covered, you don't need the new plan for that, all they need to do is walk into the emergency room and they can't be turned away.

Last edited by a moderator:
One's residency status and driver's license are not related.

Many citizens of this country don't have driver's licenses.

Is it possible or realistic that an illegal alien from mexico would have adequate insurance while driving in the U.S.? That's not rhetorical. If I were to slip over into canada, I'd still have valid insurance there. However, it would be illegal to drive there (or be there period if I didn't check with customs).

Another different issue.

I suppose if you are discussing strictly the ability to have a driver's license as a separate issue as the ability to have one and drive (actually use the license) legally. I think tsu and I were noting it is not intuitive how an illegal would drive legally in the mentioned context.

I suppose if you are discussing strictly the ability to have a driver's license as a separate issue as the ability to have one and drive (actually use the license) legally. I think tsu and I were noting it is not intuitive how an illegal would drive legally in the mentioned context.

Understand. I'm staying on the issue as presented linking SF's policy change.

Many citizens who have driver's licenses don't have insurance.

Most insurance companies will take one's money regardless of residency.

If you're here illegally, then why would you bend a law for them? Maybe let the relative pick up the car while you deport the illegal?

If you're here illegally, then why would you bend a law for them? Maybe let the relative pick up the car while you deport the illegal?

Why? Because our officials here in San Francisco are nuts. I read today that it's now illegal to declaw cats in San Francisco. Now mind you, I am certainly not in favor of declawing a cat, but these are some of the things that occupy our Board of Supervisors.:confused:

Why? Because our officials here in San Francisco are nuts. I read today that it's now illegal to declaw cats in San Francisco. Now mind you, I am certainly not in favor of declawing a cat, but these are some of the things that occupy our Board of Supervisors.:confused:
sf: uh-mazing.

I think that it is the best time to legalize illigal immigrants. Those that are here are going to stay anyways, why not "count" them finally and give them social security numbers so they all can start paying taxes. I had a friend in HS who came here when he was 2 years old and he still does not have SS number / dl and etc. He was thinking about going back to Poland but he doesn't even know a bit about living there... I'm an immigrant, i came here when I was 15 (23 now) and I'm glad that i could have a green card since day one, but a lot of people still don't and there are many examples i can list. I also met a guy from Bosnia and once he told me: " You came here because your country's economy sucked, but i had tanks in my backyard" Yes i do get pissed when i meet people who lived here for 15 years and they don't even know any English, the whole concept of why i had to learn and the other guy is just going to ask for somebody speaking his language comes in. Most of the illegal immigrants in chicago area come from Mexico, to be honest i like those that were raised there more that those that were born here.

Last edited:
Back