• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scam alert! Jh4na1185tt000154

VEHICLE -Red 1996 NSX-T JH4NA1185TT000154

LOCATION - Markham, Ontario

SELLER - Private, but assoc. to Bullock City Auto Service

ISSUE - Imported as SALVAGED into Canada.

Hey guys - I am currently looking for a NSX. After seeing one listed on Autotrader.ca, I ventured up to Markham to check it out. Like several NSX's, I knew this car had previously been brought up from the US in the past (2004 to be exact). The car looked pretty good but there were some unresolved mechanical issues with the car. I found it weird that the seller owned a mechanic shop but did not have the car in perfect mechanical shape - especially since the issues only required minor work (so he said). I asked about the clutch being replaced - He said it had done recently by another shop, but did not have ANY documentation or receipts. The clutch felt crappy by the way.

I asked about the cars history and the seller played stupid - was not forthcoming with information which seemed suspicious. He said he owned it for approx. 3 years.

I further found it weird that the seller owns a car shop, but is selling the car privately. The car was unplated and when I took it for a test drive (at his residence). He was using a yellow dealer plate.

I spent the $$$$ and did a carproof search.Well I'm sure glad I did - SALVAGED JUNK! It was brought into Canada in 2004 as SALVAGE. It was later sent to auction in 2005. I was pretty pissed after finding this out. I was super close to putting a deposit on the car after the test drive. The car looked pretty good and the paint was great. He was asking $41,000 which I thought was a decent deal for a car with 59,XXX miles with a supposed clean title.

I later emailed the seller on his BS. I told him about my findings. Well guess what - no email back. And what is worse, he just removed the car from autotrader.ca after my rant. It was funny because he talked how he wanted the car GONE before the winter.

I have since contacted the ministry about this SALVAGED issue. I have been advised that the car does not have a REBUILT title in Canada which suggests a "Brand washing fraud". Anyone looking at this car BE WARNED! The ministry started asking me several questions about his car and they may have flagged it in their data base. If they enter into an investigation an find out the vehicle has suffered from flood/fire damage, it would get an IRREPARABLE brand. Imagine paying over 40 g's for this car and going to register it and finding out it cannot be registered! EVER!.

So this was my experience. I just wanted to give other people a heads up. If anyone from the Markham area is familiar with these people - let me know.

Last edited:
That is a great heads up. Please keep that VIN listed so that all future searches of that VIN come to your discoveries.

This is why its best to buy a car from someone we know. The car is most likely better taken care of, but most importantly, we know its history.

You should consider Ian's 02 for $56k. That is a crazy price!

It's back up on Autotrader - He lowered the price too. But salvaged is salvaged. And with the MTO looking at this case - STAY AWAY!

And the car has 59,000 miles = 96,000 km's. (Not 86,000 km as stated in the ad)

Last edited:
That is a great heads up. Please keep that VIN listed so that all future searches of that VIN come to your discoveries.

This is why its best to buy a car from someone we know. The car is most likely better taken care of, but most importantly, we know its history.

You should consider Ian's 02 for $56k. That is a crazy price!

Ya that 02 is sick! That is one of those cars I'd be scared to leave parked anywhere but my garage. He raised the price up to $60 I see. You primers pumped his ego and he raised the price ahah.

On a side note, anyone know who bought that 01 yellow NSX for $42. It sold on autotrader.ca about 3 weeks ago? That was a deal....

hey buddy sorry to hear about your search.....it tool me a while to find mine but eventually it came.......why not come check out mine...i think you'll be very impressed. thanks

Meh, haggle him to $28-30K for the salvaged car, then rip her down and rebuild it for track duty. Done and done! :cool:

Hi sorry you had trouble with this car. I just purchased it last year in 2011. Whatever problem it may of had obvious has been delt with. I personnaly talked to the DMV about it and it is been cleared as a active Status. I did get aftermarket side skirts on it and noticed the damage they are talking about looks to me as if it was hit in the right front door area. It looks very minor but underneath has a small weld on the frame. They probably gave it a salvage title at the time for this because i do know if a frame has any cracks that are visible they right them off even know the car is actually in basically very well condion still. I would be very appreciated if you guys could please change or erase your concerns on it as this car is a very good road worthy car now and actually probably always was. They are cars like any other vehicle on the road where they are most likely gonna have a small fender bender over time especially over the long life span it has had. Thank you and i do enjoy this car it has been a very good car to me and i hope i can keep on enjoying it as long as i own this beauty.

Last edited:
This is too funny with the for sale ad after declaring his desire for more years of enjoyment. If you really want to sell it, be realistic and come clean with all faults. Stop trying to scam the community with these posts. We are no fools.

Last edited:
"Forgot to mention the previous frame damage"

LOL, frame damage has now been added to the ad here on prime after this thread exposed the history of the car. but im sure it wont be mentioned anywhere else.

i dont think that salvage cars are bad provided they are fixed properly, its just that the shady sales tactics once exosed pretty much kills any feeling of safety and security for the sale of the car

I think I've seen this car driving around in the Markham area. It's true that the seller should have mentioned the frame damage but if the DMV has cleared the salvage title and the vehicle is considered road worthy and if there is a significant discount to the degree of the sale being made @ $28K to $30K as Oyagi mentioned it would make a decent track car option. Tayman75 the problem here is the way you listed the car not so much the fact that it once had a salvaged title. From the digging around that others have done they exposed your listing as fraudulent. Wether it was an oversight or not it should have been a priority to be honest in your listing and realistic in your expectations of the sale you intended to make given the blemishes that was clearly known to you. You've been a Prime member for a year now and it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that this was uncovered. The NSX though loved by many has a target market of like minded individuals and a strong support community. People that buy this car don't settle on it...they want to own/drive an NSX and probably have for a long time...our cars don't come cheap and there are other newer options at their price ranges (granted they are inferior cars to our beloved NSXs :D). Consider dropping the price and doing a best offer sale with an "as is" clause and be realistic in your expectation (think of what you would honestly be willing to pay in light of all the information that has surfaced)....on the other hand if you truly enjoy the car and the decision to sell is not triggered by financial urgency maybe consider turning it into a track car for your own use or just continue using it as you do now. Drive the heck out if it and enjoy it cause at this point it's not gonna make any money for you and you likely will not be getting back what it seems you've probably invested into it. Let this also be a lesson to anyone thinking of selling your car (whatever make and model)...in the age of readily available information it only takes some due diligence to uncover whatever it is that needs to be discovered and a lot of people are being more diligent when they're going to spend their hard earned dollars to purchase motor vehicles. Save yourself the headache and provide all necessary information up front. Might even speed up the sale provided you've been realistic with expected $$.
-Sean

Back