• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SCDA registration is now open

For those interested in getting some track time at the Glen (or Lime Rock and New Hampshire), the SCDA has just started accepting applications for the upcoming season. Each track event has a school for all levels but Novice usually fills up quickly. The first Glen days are 5/3 and 4.

http://www.scda1.com/schedule/

RSO 34 said:
For those interested in getting some track time at the Glen (or Lime Rock and New Hampshire), the SCDA has just started accepting applications for the upcoming season. Each track event has a school for all levels but Novice usually fills up quickly. The first Glen days are 5/3 and 4.

http://www.scda1.com/schedule/

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the notification.
How are the instructors or the program of SCDA differ from those of Tracmasters?

I am still seriously pondering whether to avoid having NHIS as my first track event.

The programs are very similar but I found that Trackmasters is a somewhat "tighter" program. By that I mean that after hearing the classroom lectures a couple of times with SCDA, very little additional new information would be introduced. As I mentioned in another thread, the SCDA classroom instructor takes his powerpoint presentation from the Skip Barber book "Going Faster." Having read that book, I learned very little from classes after the first couple of track events.

I also found that it is more difficult to "move up" in class with Trackmasters than SCDA. Although your ego might want to tell you that you should jump from novice through advanced quickly, I have felt that drivers with Trackmasters seem more experienced in each level and that probably is because you do not get signed off to go solo as quickly as it seems drivers do with SCDA.

With that being said, I did start off with SCDA and did not do Trackmasters until after about 8 events with SCDA. I feel that I received competent instruction with SCDA and have no problems with recommending them. Trackmasters, on the other hand, would have a slight edge for my recommendation in terms of getting more practice in recognizing flags and potential dangers on the track because they actually have on-track drills where they will throw a red flag to see how the drivers react and then critique everyone on how they handled themselves in that situation. I was amazed at the number of drivers with similar experience as me who made mistakes when these flag drills were performed.

No matter who you start with or what track you go on, just remember to listen to your instructor and don't drive beyond your abilities. There are no prizes or trophies so just make sure you are technically proficient and speed will come later.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see who was going to attend these events. I was planning on doing 2 days at Limerock in March, and 2 days at the Glenn in May. I also already signed up for 2 days at the Glenn with Trackmasters in May. Combine that with the events at Expo and I guess I will really see how that legedary Honda reliablitly holds up.

As a side question, If I plan on doing these 8 days of track events how do you guys think my SO3s will hold up?? I just bought them last year, they have about 80% tread left on the rear. Do you think they will last through this Spring and Summer?

-John

So far I have committed to 4 days in May at the Glen (2 SCDA and 2 Trackmasters), 2 days at Lime Rock in June (SCDA), 2 days at the Glen in July (Trackmasters), 2 days at the Glen in September (Trackmasters) and, of course, NSXPO.

I have gotten as many as 7 track days and a total of 5000 miles on a new set of Potenza RE010s. I have averaged 2 sets of tires each of the last two seasons with 10-12 track events and a total of about 12000 miles per season (including street driving).

jadkar said:
I was planning on doing 2 days at Limerock in March

Switch those to the 2 days in June at LRP. Pete probably already gave you that advice to avoid LRP that early in the season (and early in your "career").

Bob - Yes he did, I am going to switch........plus now that I think of it, wasn't the court date around that time, I have to double check.

Thanks for lookin out though :)

Unforuntately, I cannot attend the Glen event by Trackmaster in May. However, I will be at the Lime Rock event in June.

Hope to learn a lot this year.

Track Costs

Mark:
It could be many things:
Track rental cost.
Need to make a profit
Insurance costs
Availability of tracks in the Northeast.
NASA has membership dues.
Safety Issues-rule of thumb 10 cars per mile. Small 1.5 mile track
equals 15 cars per run group times four groups equals 60 cars, divide into costs equals expensive track time. Larger the track like Watkins Glen the lower the individual costs.
You charge what the public will pay.

What's the cost of the Glen two-day event? Peter Mills- are you going to get garage space again for this event?

I really enjoyed the Glen last year- it's worth the 7-hour drive from VA.

Anyone interested in coming to Summit Pt. (about 1 hour west of DC) let me know. Some track events are at www.bsr-inc.com although there are others as well.

DCNSX said:
What's the cost of the Glen two-day event?

Which Glen event are you asking about?

All SCDA events are $235 per day. Trackmasters charges are between $235 and $280 depending upon the date. Trackmasters reserves garage spaces at the time of the application but they sell out quickly.

I was hoping SCDA would give a discount if you signed up for 2 days at the Glen. Looks like they don't. Does anyone have websites for Redline and TDE? Also- anyone have a website that lists a calendar of East Coast track days? I'm interested in heading to BeaveRun in May/June if anyone's going.

NSXCA Northeast Track events 2004

Gentlemen:
The following days are scheduled for 2004 NSXCA NE track events.

June 11-12 Friday-Saturday SCDA Lime Rock $235.00USD per day
July 2-4 Friday-Sunday Trackmasters Mosport $210.00USD per day
August 10 Tuesday PSCC Pocono North $145.00 per day
The following for prices for NSXCA members only:
August 4-5 Wednesday-Thursday Apex Performance Watkins Glen $189.00USD per day based on 5 NSX's $175.00USD per day based on 10 NSX's
October 11-12 NSXPO 2004 rates to be announced.
2004 NSXCA Northeast event Calendar will be mailed in March.

Re: NSXCA Northeast Track events 2004

Peter Mills said:
Gentlemen:
The following days are scheduled for 2004 NSXCA NE track events.

June 11-12 Friday-Saturday SCDA Lime Rock $235.00USD per day
July 2-4 Friday-Sunday Trackmasters Mosport $210.00USD per day
August 4-5 Wednesday-Thursday Apex Performance Watkins Glen $189.00USD per day based on 5 NSX's $175.00USD per day based on 10 NSX's
October 11-12 NSXPO 2004 rates to be announced.
2004 NSXCA Northeast event Calendar will be mailed in March.

Hi, Peter,

For all the NSXCA NE track events, are we only allowed to use NSX? Or can we use cars other than NSX (under the condition that you are still a NSXCA member)?

Thank you.

Re: Re: NSXCA Northeast Track events 2004

TigerNSX said:
For all the NSXCA NE track events, are we only allowed to use NSX? Or can we use cars other than NSX (under the condition that you are still a NSXCA member)?

Hi Tiger,

All events other than NSXPO allow any type of car to be used. Pete has made arrangements with Apex for one event at the Glen to provide a discount to members who attend with their NSX. Otherwise, it does not make a difference what car you use (as long as it passes a tech inspection). The dates listed by Pete as Northeast events are actually run by outside HPDE schools and are not NSX exclusive. They are only a sampling of available track events overall but were chosen to try to make it a group outing with the Northeast.

Re: NSXCA Northeast Track events 2004

Thanks a lot, Bob, for the continuous help and answers.

Peter Mills said:
Gentlemen:

Hi, Peter,
Are instructors provided for those two events? Will they be suitable for beginners?

Hey Folks,

I know we were talking about a little X vs Z grudge run...

A bunch of the Z fellas (myself included) will be at the May 24th SCDA event at NHIS (here's the zo6 linkk: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52753)

Should be fun! Hope to see you up there.

-N

PS - As the date approaches if anybody is driving up from Boston, I would love to meet up and drive up there together.

PPS - Yea for Spring! Boo for salt!

I will be at the Glen with SCDA in May and with Trackmasters in May, July and September. I will be at Lime Rock with SCDA in June.

Anyone else?

So far, I am only registered for the NHIS event in May, but I am still trying to work around my work schedule to attend different events at Lime Rock and Glen.

I will post it as I have a better picture.

Thank you.

I will definitely get up to the Glen sometime again this year and I also want to do the "double infield" course at Pocono. PDA www.imp-auto.com/pda/ has a 3-day event there June 18/19/20.
BeaveRun is also on my list this year- Apex Performance has a Thurs/Fri. event there May 20-21 if anyone is interested.

Also- if any of you NE guys want to trek down to Summit Point or even VIR, please let me know. (I'll be at VIR 3/27-28)
-Howard Stanton

NE track rats heading south

Howard:
There are three confirmed NE track rats going to Summit Point on Monday-Tuesday April 19-20 with Trackmasters. I'm hoping for a few more, like DocJohn and Bob Ondrovic. Please stop by or better yet sign up at www.trackmasters.com
All virgins...er Virginians are welcome to join us.

Back