• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed cracks 100 hp increase through natural aspiration modification

We recently completed the installation and tuning of our production individual throttle body system which is a new part of our natural aspiration tune package.

We've been working at this project for about a year to develop an individual throttle body package which offers both performance and durability with an innovative linkage system that allows easy adjustability and consistent operation.

Before the individual throttle body system was complete, we utilized the factory throttle body and intake manifold with slight modifications. Upon tuning of the new stage 3 package which includes a 3.3L bottom end and completely reworked heads, logged data from the ECU was showing a restriction above engine speeds of 6000 RPM of up to 15% vacuum pressure. As the heads and bottom end allowed increased speed and volume of the delivered air/fuel mixture, the factory throttle body and intake manifold became more and more restrictive.

Before the throttles were installed, the car dynoed at a max power rating of 311 rear wheel horsepower on a Mustang Eddy-current type dynamometer (a factory 3.0L NSX typically dynos in the 220 hp range on such a dyno).

Upon the completion of the new throttle body system, Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA offered their AEM EMS tuning experience and Dyno Dynamics Eddy-current type dyno to assist us with tuning the drivability and smoothness of the new system. Autowave's experience of tuning stand-alone engine management systems for "drivability" not just "maximum power" is important for a street car and especially the individual throttle body system which results in much more dynamic airflow. Autowave's advanced Dyno Dynamics dyno allows the tuner to isolate each cell of the fuel and ignition maps to tune a car to factory-like operation. Michael at Autowave did a fantastic job, and really improved upon what had accomplished so far with the car. Autowave's combination of understanding of theory, experience, and equipment makes them a must-see for tuning of stand-alone engine managements systems such as the AEM unit.

The car dynoed at 336 rear wheel horsepower (approximately 380+ crank horsepower with conservative driveline loss estimates) and 255 lb/ft torque. In comparison, a factory 3.0L NSX typically dynos around 225 on a DynoComp dyno. This has allowed us to achieve our goal to exceed a 100 wheel horsepower gain with out the use of forced induction with relatively mildly designed engine. While high output race engines have been built, our primary focus and the build of this engine was for a street application that stresses durability, drivability, as well as performance. The engine uses a mild compression (11.0:1) and smooth idling cam profile.

The car of course sounds fantastic and feels great generating more horsepower at 5000 RPM than a standard NSX does near redline. The car's engine character is unlike anything I've driven. It has a sharp bark with lightening fast throttle response and constant solid pull at low, mid, and high RPM that doesn't seem to want to stop.

Dyno:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NA_tune/dyno_063004.jpg

I'd like to thank Shane and Michael at Autowave for their big help as well as Jon Martin at Acura of Southbay for his continued consulting with the development of our new engine products.

As we work on completing the induction box for the throttle bodies, we'll continually update our website with information, pricing, and dyno prints.

The relevant mods are as listed:

ScienceofSpeed 1992 Acura NSX

powerplant:
ScienceofSpeed Stage 3 Natural Aspiration Tune
3.3L sleeved bottom end
11.0:1 forged pistons, lightweight wristpins (20 gram reduction per rotating mass)
polished crank & balanced/blueprinted rotating mass
tuned cylinder heads with bore matched bowls
upsized valves
ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 Camshafts
ScienceofSpeed Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
ScienceofSpeed Valve Springs
AEM Engine Management System

induction & exhaust:
ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle System
TAITEC GT Header System
TAITEC Test Pipes
TAITEC JGTC Exhaust

best regards,
-- Chris

Last edited:
Awesome work Chris. How loud are the ITB? I had read somewhere that they were really not for the street?

maybe even a quick video capture of the NSX on ideal, and on full revs... that'd be sweet. THANKS

Congrats! Can't wait for mass public usage of the NA tune package.

is there any type of filtration with the individual throttle body setup?

Chris@SoS said:
The car dynoed at 336 rear wheel horsepower (approximately 380+ crank horsepower with conservative driveline loss estimates) and 255 lb/ft torque. In comparison, a factory 3.0L NSX typically dynos around 225 on a DynoComp dyno. This has allowed us to achieve our goal to exceed a 100 wheel horsepower gain with out the use of forced induction with relatively mildly designed engine.
Congratulations -- this sounds like GREAT news, and the increases are probably more "usable" across a broader range of the power curve, unlike some of the other (FI) approaches.

Any news on pricing and availability ??

Also, does your R&D show how one might optimize for TORQUEincreases ??

Now take that motor and drop a supercharger or turbo on it...that would be some serious hp........:D

Cris, where is the price tag (range) for this N/A tune. could you please post a link or the info? very interesting!

From his site:

This assumes you already have I/H/E

ScienceofSpeed Stage 1 NA Tune

[stage1-NA] $484.00
ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 NA Tune

[stage2-NA] $2,995.00
ScienceofSpeed Stage 3 NA Tune

[stage3A-NA] $7,860.00

I am not sure if that includes labor or not..:confused:

Texas91Brent said:
Now take that motor and drop a supercharger or turbo on it...that would be some serious hp........:D
No flames please but I don't think they had FI in mind when they designed this set up.
Congrats on the #'s guys. Sounds like you have done a lot of homework on it.

Excellent !!!

Chris,

Congrats on the successful accomplishment to your NA tune package. 100 hp increase, that’s excellent!! The increases are well worth all the work that you have put into the car.

Thanks for everything thus far, hope to see more innovating projects in the future to come.

Ken

The individual throttles have an airbox with an enclosed filter. We are testing designs to maximize the benefit of the velocity stack.

As for torque, powerband can be adjusted by using different length throttle bells. We are currently using 120mm bells. As you can see on the dyno, the torque generated comes on fairly early in the powerband which gives excellent mid range useable power.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
-- Chris

So when are you going to make adjustable length throttle bodies that sense engine RPMs and adjust accordingly. ;)

92NSX said:
No flames please but I don't think they had FI in mind when they designed this set up.
Congrats on the #'s guys. Sounds like you have done a lot of homework on it.

Hey great numbers on HP, But can you really ever get too much horsepower? It would be so cool to see a NSX with the same horsepower output of say a tricked out Toyota Supra. I have seen articles on 1000 dyno hp. Wow...I would rather see a NSX with 500-600 range...Just a thought or 2 cents, nothing more..:D

Hey chris, any pictures of the airbox that goes with the ITB's? I'd really like to see it.

Texas91Brent said:
Hey great numbers on HP, But can you really ever get too much horsepower? It would be so cool to see a NSX with the same horsepower output of say a tricked out Toyota Supra. I have seen articles on 1000 dyno hp. Wow...I would rather see a NSX with 500-600 range...Just a thought or 2 cents, nothing more..:D

At a certain point...especially on a supra...more hp does not make the car any faster.

Texas91Brent said:

I think the point that was being made about this not being designed for FI was that the entire purpose of this NA tune program was to avoid FI. Building the motor to run in a high state of NA tune, with high compression, makes it inappropriate for FI.

BTW, there are several FI options for the NSX, some of which are in the 500-600 range, such as the FactorX turbo, as well as some of the supercharger kits, if built to run at 12 psi or so. There is also a guy on here who has an NSX that should be close to 1000 hp.

Being that I am from California smogging the car with those mods might be a problem. Will stage 2 pass the strict CA smog test? I am assuming that the Stage 3 set-up will have no chance to pass. Thanks for the info in advance!

hi Ryan --

Our Type-A cams (which can be used in a stage 2 setup) retain the factory lobe geometry under VTEC, so the emissions should be the same.

The stage 3 package will pass emissions (with proper tuning if a standalone like the EMS is used) on an emissions stand point, however, the internal engine mods require CARB certificaton, which we do not have the capability to perform at this time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
-- Chris

Chris-

I think you have answered this before, but I'll ask anyway.

If you start from scratch (I/H/E) and want to go to stage III, is that going to cost $12,400 + install (the cost of Stage I, II and III separately), or $7940 + install (the cost of Stage III)? I assume $12,400, but I wanted to confirm that.

Thanks.

Back