• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Hatch & JGTC Duct Special

We have the ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Hatch & JGTC Ducts on special until the end of March. Limited to stock availability.

ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Duracoat Race Hatch (no duct) - $100.00 off
ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Duracoat Race Hatch with FRP Duct Kit - $150.00 off
ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Duracoat Race Hatch with Carbon Duct Kit - $150.00 off

Some information on this product:
This engine hatch is unique in it's true molded construction. The ScienceofSpeed engine hatch is the only polycarbonate hatch that is produced by molding. Other engine hatches use a flat sheet of acrylic that is sandwiched between two factory glass hatches. This does not result in a very accurate replication of the factory hatch glass as the first factory glass forms the top surface of the resulting plastic hatch with the incorrect (bottom) surface. This results in gaps, bowing, and a poorly fitting hatch. The acrylic hatch is also prone to cracking and hazzing.

The ScienceofSpeed Race hatch differs by using a reverse fiberglass mold. Polycarbonate Lexan material is used with a scratch resistant hard coat layer on the surface and anti-fogging layer on the inside. Being reverse molded, the resulting window hatch is a direct replica of the factory glass which retains the factory glass curvature, clarity, and fit. The hatch also includes the same black out border found on the stock glass. A multi-piece router fixture is then used to cut and trim the resulting hatch to the exact size of the factory glass. Although this process is complex, it results in a replacement hatch that once mounted can not be easily differentiated from factory glass. The ScienceofSpeed Race Hatch is the only hatch to be so precise that even the factory edging molding easily slips on.

best regards,
-- Chris

enginehatch_450.jpg

After speaking with some people... I question the efficacy of the duct work...it would seem that the air entering the duct would cause "aerodynamic lift" in the NSX...

Can anyone elaborate?

I am sure Chris will chime in here, but I highly doubt aerodynamic lift would be significant, and (given the constraints of the hatch) there doesn't seem to be any design that would not, at least to some small degree, have some lift present. If you're concerned with the potential for lift on the hatch you could get the version without the air duct and get the weight reduction without any adverse effect, or if you actually have a use for the duct (eg a supercharged car, a top mount intercooler, etc.) the benefits would probably more than outweigh the aerodynamic disadvantage of running with the duct.

The duct is out of the slip stream. The small volume of air entering the duct is not highly pressurized and will not cause aerodynamic lift. Cars have been run at 140 mph+ on track with out problems.

Regards,
-- Chris

1hot92 said:
I am sure Chris will chime in here, but I highly doubt aerodynamic lift would be significant, and (given the constraints of the hatch) there doesn't seem to be any design that would not, at least to some small degree, have some lift present. If you're concerned with the potential for lift on the hatch you could get the version without the air duct and get the weight reduction without any adverse effect, or if you actually have a use for the duct (eg a supercharged car, a top mount intercooler, etc.) the benefits would probably more than outweigh the aerodynamic disadvantage of running with the duct.

That's an incredibly verbose way of saying "I don't know, but I don't think so" :tongue:

mystican said:
After speaking with some people... I question the efficacy of the duct work...it would seem that the air entering the duct would cause "aerodynamic lift" in the NSX...

Can anyone elaborate?

No no... Can YOU elaborate???:confused:

Who exactly are these "people" and what credentials do they posess in order to make such assessments without testing?

I have spoken with two "experts" on this black art of aerodynamic lift. (BTW, one works for Honda) The problem with the duct work that currently is on this modified hatch of the NSX is problematic because of the non-laminar flow going across the intersection of the roof and the hatch. Secondly, the duct would more than likely affect the OEM duct work located at the lower section of where the rear hatch closes. None of this has been wind-tunnel tested, but speculation would exist as to the true efficacy of such a duct. Remember, adding individual bolt-on parts for increased horsepower on the engine doesn't always show up on the dyno. (1 + 1 does not always equal 2...it can some times equal 1.8 or 1.9)

I am not saying that the duct on the hatch doesn't work...I am saying that no one can tell for sure that it DOES work only because it has not been wind tunnel tested. Adding duct work would affect afterflow from the duct and this has not been addressed. In addition the amount of air that does enter into the duct has to be removed...if not, then aerodynamic lift can possibly occur...

My Honda expert said...if it worked, then why didn't Honda add it to the type R?

mystican said:
My Honda expert said...if it worked, then why didn't Honda add it to the type R?

Ask him why then that every JGTC Honda NSX has a ducted hatch.....?

Unless the duct is clear polycarbonate (which would still distort the rear vision anyways), Honda wouldn't have considered it for their road-going versions after priding themselves on the NSX's excellent visibility.

Also, in order to get any measurable air flow through the hatch-mounted duct, it would have to be in a region of high pressure like Chris said. Because of the boundary layer that quickly increases in thickness just after the top of the windshield, the hatch would need to stick up above the top of the roof by at least 6". That just a guess without doing testing or CFD analyses of course :wink:

If you drive your vehicles in the rain, you can watch the rain drop movement (or lack thereof in some portions of your rear hatch) to get an idea.

Chris - could you please give an estimate of the weight savings over stock? Thanks!

mystican said:

well, they do have these on JGTC cars and do sell the 'snorkel' (i belive it's a OEM Honda product)

now, i'm not sure if it's intended for ITB use only and has a closed filtration system, but in my estimation, these scoops will draw in a lot more air than the slim duct found on the SOS hatch.

Attachments

• 9mayhon2.JPG.jpg
    9mayhon2.JPG.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 01large.jpg
    01large.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 115
Similar ducted hatches were offered by Honda as options for the NSX-R likely to allow these ducts designs into the JGTC program. However, the duct is not used on the standard NSX-R because the engine induction is fed through the left side vent as every standard NSX is.

We have performed pressure testing on the duct. Although the duct is out of the slipstream, the duct allows airflow through the hatch. The design is specifically placed out of the slip stream to prevent a large volume of pressurized airflow to pass into the engine bay. In addition, when used with an induction system, the volume of air entering the through the duct is expelled through the vacuum of the engine. I assure you that far more volume enters through the side vents of every NSX. Air flow entering the duct if it is not ingested into the engine will be trivial at best.

Weight reduction is approximately 15 lbs.

Regards,
-- Chris

mystican said:
I have spoken with two "experts" on this black art of aerodynamic lift. (BTW, one works for Honda)
Being a Honda salesman or Honda mechanic hardly qualifies one to be an "expert".

Secondly, aerodynamics is not a black art... It follows the laws of physics and it this case, fluid mechanics. Air being just another fluid of course...

mystican said:
the duct would more than likely affect the OEM duct work located at the lower section of where the rear hatch closes...

... My Honda expert said...if it worked, then why didn't Honda add it to the type R?
These comments show how much your "Honda expert" really knows... :rolleyes:

Look guys...dont flame me because you dont like my comments...my "Honda expert" is NOT a salesman...but a well respected engineer that works for Honda...my other friend works for Nissan as a design engineer and understands "aero flow" better than anyone on this thread.

Talk to any well respected aerodynamicist...air flow IS a Black Art! I can personally attest to this when I used to crew for an HVR BMW team...physics is the medium by which we used to make aerodynamic Black Art work...just like flow management and bench flow characteristics are on engine head design...the same thing applies to aerodynamics...

I never said that air didn't enter the duct...I have only questioned it efficacy...

After Chris' comments...I now question the duct's purpose if it is not in the slipstream and it is not ducted into the intake of an NA NSX...

Weight reduction on the hatch is important...esp on the NSX

The snorkel is a completely different subject...I won't even begin to comment on this item b/c of the crazy responses on this thread...

I want to tell all of you that I dont just jump on the "band wagon"...I always question why and do research on the subject... I am not an expert...but I can see that others on this thread are not either...it is my recommendation to all of the others who continue to flame me on this subject ought to do the same research and sit back down to the table and have an educated forum...

mystican said:
...my "Honda expert" is NOT a salesman...but a well respected engineer that works for Honda...
And that would be why he knows less about the Type R than is on the brochure...

mystican said:
my other friend works for Nissan as a design engineer and understands "aero flow" better than anyone on this thread.
And you know everyone’s complete educational background on this thread of course....

mystican said:
Talk to any well respected aerodynamicist...air flow IS a Black Art!
Only to those that don't understand it!

mystican said:
I can personally attest to this when I used to crew for an HVR BMW team...physics is the medium by which we used to make aerodynamic Black Art work...just like flow management and bench flow characteristics are on engine head design...the same thing applies to aerodynamics...
I think this statement explains a lot about your understanding of the topic.

mystican said:
I want to tell all of you that I dont just jump on the "band wagon"...I always question why and do research on the subject... I am not an expert...but I can see that others on this thread are not either...it is my recommendation to all of the others who continue to flame me on this subject ought to do the same research and sit back down to the table and have an educated forum...
Should I go and ask a few mates their opinion as well then???

In my profession, we do come across people occasionally who has a friend or knows a guy who is an "expert" who obviously knows more than us engineers... :rolleyes:

Back