• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed's new Xenons I HAVE QUESTIONS

Do these lights use the same bulbs as in the S2000?

Are they as "white" looking as the S2000's?

The Audi S4 and the S2000 are my favorite!

Also, how do you accomplish the feet of installing Xenons into a car that was not designed for them?

My Mercedes does not have them and when I inquired about installing them the dealer explained it has to do with the voltage and electrical system.

Can the lights drain the system at all? I heard they are less voltage than normal bulbs but take a different type of current. is this true?

Will it be like having the AC on? Draining the car of HP?

The bulbs are 9006 and 9005. If you like the new style light out put like what is in the acura CL and the new Benz and the licon mark 8. Catz sales a kit for the low beems. We sale them for $650.00 ......

Performance Autoworx (209)491-2700

With the ac on takes a little power. You are useing the crank to spin the ac pump there for you lose a little power by puting a load on it.

The kit indeed has the "luxury" look of the S2000, BMW, and Audi. The ballasts and ignitors are the same as found on the S2000.

The kit has been customized to fit the NSX with out modification to the end caps, retainer ring, or splicing cutting of any wires. This differentiates it from existing HID systems available for the NSX.

The HID system uses lower wattage but higher voltage than a conventional halogen system while being more efficient.

There is no performance problems from running a HID system, and your car will not drain itself unless you leave your lights on with the car off just like your stock headlights.

For more detail: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/focus.asp?product=epp-471

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Where and how would the ballasts be mounted? I see alot of kits that just use some double sided tape to mount the ballast where ever there is free space, is that the case for this kit as well? The kit looks awesome! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 24 June 2002).]

Hi RyRy --

The ballasts are the most compact units made. They are small enough to tuck up under the front bumper lip and secure with the supplied industrial strength Velcro.

Thanks,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]

I have the McCulloch kit which I believe is the kit sold by SOS - the lighting is beautiful.

It is a 5000k kit so it's a little more blue than the standard 4200k kits. I had a 4200k kit before and it was really yellow and green in color. This new kit is a beautiful white with a slight ting of blue.

Look for pics in the next NSX Driver.

Chris, I'd just like to say that xenon HID system looks really good!

------------------

2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

Originally posted by JChoice:
I have the McCulloch kit which I believe is the kit sold by SOS - the lighting is beautiful.

It is a 5000k kit

The SoS kit is a 5800k kit.

Thanks O-Ace. Our kit peaks at about 5800K. As Justin mentions, when warmed, the kit is bright intense white with a blue tinge of blue that increases the bluish/purplish when you move at an angle to the car. Upon firing, the kit is an intense bluish/purplish. I agree with Justin that it looks better than the Autolamps kit. The major advantage though is that the customer does not need to splice the high voltage wires running 23,000 volts upon ignition with the ScienceofSpeed kit due to the provisions made for the NSX.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]

Chris, do you have any "side by side" shots showing the projected light difference between the two kits? Maybe just two cars, one stock and one with your kit, shining onto a garage door? Since the beam pattern should be the same, I would think that something could be gained from that.

Thanks!

Or even perhaps a 3 car lineup comparison would be nice. Stock, Autolamps, and then the new one. Would be nice to see the differences. Looking good though. I'll be lining up for a set soon. =)

If the SOS kit intensty is 5800 k, what is the intensity of the stock lighting system?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
If the SOS kit intensty is 5800 k, what is the intensity of the stock lighting system?

I believe 5800k refers to the frequency of the light, which is primarily related to its color, rather than intensity.

Chris (SOS),
The HID kit looks amazing! The installation appears to be much more user-friendly than the Autolamps kit as well.
I'll probably get one in the near future- great price, although I have to admit that I like the stock lights very much (that's what's holding me back from getting it).
Now, more importantly, when are you going to have a sale on the GPS Navigation systems?
wink.gif
~DROOL~
-Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask anyway. If I purchase the HID system now for the stock setup, would I still be able to use it if I were to switch to a fixed headlight setup?

No offense but the stock lights are joke compared to these HIDs. The difference is like comparing 11 year old lights with new ones.
smile.gif

Seriously, the halogens make the car appear dated.

Thanks all. Ken & Soichiro are correct. Kelvin is the frequency of the color of the light where lumens refers to the intensity or amount of light. For example, a halogen bulb puts out about about 3000+ K. Bright sunlight is about 6000 K. Our kit has a steady Kelvin rating of 5200 K, but peaks at 5800 K during warm up.

Will try to have a few more comparison shots at the HID install party in Portland this weekend. However, the lighting of the HIDs is nearly impossible to catch with digital cameras. For every degree you move around the front of the car, the color and intensity quickly change from bright whites to purple/blues. This is the nature of the NSX projector beams.

The NSX is a great platform for the HIDs due to it's focused projectors that not only focus and decrease glare from the high-output HIDs, but also play with the resulting colors from the lights resulting in very luxurious and useful lighting. The definition and contrast of objects at night between halogen and the HIDs is significant.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]

After talking with Chris, I believe that this new ScienceofSpeed HID kit is THE kit to get for the NSX. It addresses and fixes all the problems with the previous kits, everything from poor-quality materials resulting in inconsistent color, to bulky components, to questionable wiring. If I wanted to get HID lights on my NSX now, which kit to get would be a very easy decision.

Incidentally, Chris and I had each installed another NSX kit which has very high-quality light (basically the same as this one) but on which the install is somewhat cumbersome.

Thanks to Chris for developing and bringing to market a high-quality product.

Chris:

It is my understanding that the higher the k value, the lower the life of the HID bulb. What do you know about your bulb life?

Also, upon doing some research I've found that the k value is the "color temperature" which has to do with a light's spectral properties.

At the following webpage http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/color_temperature.html , I found the following description:
The color temperature of light refers to the temperature to which one would have to heat a "black body" source to produce light of similar spectral characteristics. Low color temperature implies warmer (more yellow/red) light while high color temperature implies a colder (more blue) light.

Daylight has a rather low color temperature near dawn, and a higher one during the day. Therefore it can be useful to install an electrical lighting system that can supply cooler light to supplement daylight when needed, and fill in with warmer light at night. This also correlates with human feelings towards the warm colors of light coming from candles or an open fireplace at night.

Standard unit for color temperature is Kelvin (k).

(In fact, the kelvin unit is the basis of all temperature measurement, as it is defined as the difference in degrees Celsius to the absolute zero temperature -273.16°C).

Some typical color temperatures are:

1500 k Candlelight
2680 k 40 W incandescent lamp
3000 k 200 W incandescent lamp
3200 k Sunrise/sunset
3400 k Tungsten lamp
3400 k 1 hour from dusk/dawn
5000-4500 k Xenon lamp/light arc
5500 k Sunny daylight around noon
5500-5600 k Electronic photo flash
6500-7500 k Overcast sky
9000-12000 k Blue sky

At this place it shouldn't be forgotten that a color temperature value, though it displays a single number, doesn't describe a simple property. In reality, it only summarises the spectral properties of a light source. Two light sources with the same light color can differ widely in quality, eg. when one of them has a continuous spectrum, while the other just emits light in a few narrow bands of the spectrum. Some of the qualitative aspects of such a spectrum can be summarised by means of its color rendering index.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Thanks all. Here is the info on the Portland shin-dig (courtesy of Edo).

I have 2 kits left that I am offering free installs on at Eddie's "housewarming" party. (Wish I could bring him a NSX for a present)
smile.gif
Please e-mail [email protected] if you'd like a HID kit installed.

---
Just wanted to remind everyone that the June 29th track event
is coming up soon. So for those of you who are interested, please make
sure to pre-register. You can find the pre-registration forms at www.bmwacaportland.com or you can e-mail me and I will send it directly to
you.

Also I will be having a non-NSX specific get-together at my
house (3 miles from PIR) afterwards for anyone that is interested. I
*was* having it catered, but the retaurant catering this lost their lease
and consequently we have been forced to switch to cooking hamburgers in
the backyard.
---

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]

Chris:
It is my understanding that the higher the k value, the lower the life of the HID bulb. What do you know about your bulb's life?

------------------
NSXY

Originally posted by NSXY:
It is my understanding that the higher the k value, the lower the life of the HID bulb.

I have never heard this before. It is my understanding that most quality HID bulbs last around ten times longer than conventional halogen bulbs, which means that they usually last the life of the car.

Back