• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SD Karting report

I went to visit the new Karting place--Miramar Speed Circuit. Here is a short review:

facility:
excellent, although not as elaborate as Speed-ring in the Bay Area, it's still a very clean and spacious environment. They provide you with motorcycle helmets but no race suits. I also see people driving with shorts and t-shirts. Some will like their relaxed rules, while others may think it's very unsafe to race karts without a suit. I went there today around 5pm, there was barely any people there! In my race group, we only had 4 people, no racing action at all. I hope they become more busy, it sucks to "race" karts with only yourself.

track:
A good mix of transition turns and hair-pins with one sweeper being turn one. It's some what short, but I guess we have to live with what we got. Lighter drivers will have a sharp advantage on this track.

Karts:
Obviously very new. Perhaps I got lighter since the last time I was in a similar kart(at Speed-ring in Nor-Cal) but the their karts feels quite a bit faster in terms of acceleration. The motor is covered by a fiberglass cover, maybe this is why they don't provide a race suit and allow shorts and t-shirts? The seat is adjustable fore/aft which is a nice feature. One thing that is a definate minus is the lack of timers on karts. It sucks to not know if your lap times are getting better or not each lap. They do give you a print out at the end, but it's hard to recall what you did right after 15 laps.

Overall:
I'm really glad they are open and is only 10 minutes from my place. I'll be visiting this place a lot and would recommend them to any people looking for a good work out!

Glad to hear that.

I'm sure they'll get up to speed over time. They don't provide all the equipment like Dromo1, but they may in the future. The suits are part of the experience too. I usually bring my own stuff anyway. Showing up in full, bright red Sparco gear intimidates the newbs. :D I sold my suit recently though. :(

Sweet George! I'm glad you like it. I work about 5 minutes away (near the pyramid). We should meet for lunch so I can beat you. :)

We are getting together on Sunday, August 3. Are you interested in joining us?

I won't be able to make it for the 3rd as I'll be back in the Bay Area already. I plan to go at least once a week to keep myself sharp. The current record is 34.xx seconds, don't remember exactly. I only managed 37.xx my first time there. Pretty damn slow if you ask me :(

I overheard one of the workers mention the fastest time for the current setup is in the 33.XX range. For my second heat, I was only able to get to 37.XX, but I can always blame my big, fat *ss for weighing me down. ;) (You know something is goin' on when 100 lb kids are flying by you on the straights.)

-Randy

Back